Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Melody
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
who the fuck is zach braff?

Marc ... Marc ... who the fuck is Marc? I think the Film Forums used to have a moderator named Marc, but he apparently doesn't read anybody's fucking movie reviews, or else he'd know who the fuck Zach Braff is.

I'm also a Garden State soundtrack fan, favorite songs being Zero 7's "In the Waiting Line" (love the piano groove and "everyone's saying different things to me, different things to me") and Colin Hay's "I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You."

Simon & Garfunkel were godlike to me when I was 12 & 13. Almost every night I'd fall asleep listening to my worn-out "Bridge Over Troubled Water" cassette through a tiny tinny ear piece. So when I heard "The Only Living Boy in New York" playing during one of the best scenes of the movie, it really got to me. Had to go pick up that S&G record (okay, CD) and listen to it all the way through for the first time in decades. Funny how I still know every single song inside & out -- "Cecilia," "Baby Driver," "The Boxer." Good stuff.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
Marc wrote:
who the fuck is zach braff?

Marc ... Marc ... who the fuck is Marc? I think the Film Forums used to have a moderator named Marc, but he apparently doesn't read anybody's fucking movie reviews, or else he'd know who the fuck Zach Braff is.

And Mel takes second in the classic come back lines this week on the Third Eye Music forum....

Waiting for the next snappy answer to a stupid question... Twisted Evil

chillywilly
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
5. I Miss You, Blink-182
12. Hold On, Good Charlotte

Great list and I like all of those songs except for the two I listed above.

I have a personal distaste for anything that Blink 182 has done past "Dude Ranch" and even that album had to grow on me a bit. Two years ago, we saw them with Green Day and some other band live here in Salt Lake. Green Day blew the fucking roof off the place. Incredible. Then Blink comes out. Two songs into the set, we walked out. Couldn't even hold a candle... let alone a bic lighter to what state Green Day left us in. Combine that with the fact that I've not liked much of their work, I felt I got my money's worth and that it was still worth it to have seen Green Day.

Good Charlotte is a band I have an enormous amount of respect for in a lot of areas (of note their concern for lots of domestic issues), but again, a personal dislike for their style of music. I'll hear one of their songs on the radio and won't turn it. But the 4th or 20th time I hear that same song, a CD goes in.

Both A Perfect Circle songs rock and they are a band I've liked for some time (mostly due to Maynard James Kenan and my already great love for the music of Tool. "The Outsider" and "Weak and Powerless" are two songs I really liked this year.

And what happened to "Vertigo" on your list??? I heard that song for the first time the other day and was blown away. U2 have still got it. Bono gets not only my respect for anything he does, but musically, they always find someway to make a huge fucking impact with each new release.

Private Joker
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Marilyn wrote:
I really love Ash.

Ash are really cool guys (and one girl, now). I remember watching the Spain-Ireland World Cup match in summer 2002 with them in a dingy Super 8 Motel room off Western and Hollywood in L.A. It was 4:00 a.m. and the games were just beginning in Korea. Ash, hailing from Northern Ireland, was in town to do a couple shows, but were much more focused on the World Cup, as is any decent football fan. Tim draped the Irish flag over his shoulders and stood on the bed during the final penalty kicks, as poor Ireland lost by a nose hair to Spain and thus ended their dreams of a championship. The band was crushed, and me and the girl I was with tried to interject slightly. Sad drunken Irish football fans don't want to hear "it sure was a hell of a game, though" from Americans.

Their best album is 1977, with "Girl From Mars" and "Kung Fu."

With three months to go, here's how my 2004 top ten albums is shaping up:

1. Green Day - AMERICAN IDIOT
2. Scissor Sisters - SCISSOR SISTERS
3. Camera Obscura - UNDERACHIEVERS PLEASE TRY HARDER
4. The Libertines - THE LIBERTINES
5. The Killers - HOT FUSS
6. Wilco - A GHOST IS BORN
7. Trashcan Sinatras - WEIGHTLIFTING
8. Rilo Kiley - MORE ADVENTUROUS
9. The Delgados - UNIVERSAL AUDIO
10. Sahara Hotnights - KISS AND TELL

Honorable Mention: Beta Band, Elf Power, Stereolab, Saturday Looks Good To Me, Magnetic Fields, Morrissey

censored-03
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City

Back to school for Tommy Lee ? !

jeremy
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:14 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Macca,

I didn’t get to see Jools Holland. Mrs Broad wanted to watch Jonathan Ross instead, and I fell asleep before the end. I did manage to catch Green Day somewhere else, but can’t quite remember where. I too noticed the late seventies punk influences: there was some Clash and I also thought I noticed some Buzzcock-like guitar work. I felt that they looked a bit old for that look though. My favourite American retro-British punk band of recent years is Rancid.

What to say about Declan Patrick MacManus. There must be something in the water…Liverpool really is a different country.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Marc
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:56 am Reply with quote
Marc Almond got into a serious motorcycle accident. He's in critical condition.

melody,

I 've been literally working 18 hours a day getting my business together. So, I do alot of scrolling in here. I also try to avoid reviews of films that I haven't seen yet, including GARDEN STATE. I know you liked it.
Melody
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:07 am Reply with quote
Marc,

Okay. I'll try not to feel unappreciated if you'll try to at least scan those hard-won reviews. I do my best to make 'em spoiler-free.

Who the fuck is Marc Almond?

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:08 am Reply with quote
Marc Almond = Soft Cell = Tainted Love.
Marc
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:10 am Reply with quote
Melody,

when I say "scroll" I don't mean ignore. I can usually pick up the thrust of a review by skimming it. I usually wait to read it thoroughly after see the film.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Marc Almond, and only he could get away with it, was the author of one of the classic rock 'n' roll lyrics, "We're stanger's meeting for the first time,ok" from the great make-up break-up song, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye

jeremy
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
There was something in Marc Almond's voice, it was full of faux camp confidence that could barely hide the plaintive fragility underneath. I'm sure Tim wouldn't consider Marc Almond the stuff of a rock 'n' roll hero, but...

Marc
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:48 pm Reply with quote
1. Green Day - AMERICAN IDIOT
2. Scissor Sisters - SCISSOR SISTERS

BOTH BANDS WILL MAKE MY TOP TEN OF 2004.
soozala
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Dug the picture of Tommy Lee. He is going to be in Connecticut on Saturday, Oct 23, signing copies of his new book Tommyland.

Should be a good read. I plan on getting my copy/ticket tommorow so I can meet him. The 26 bucks for the book is worth the opportunity to ask him if he really is indeed as long as a drumstick.....

I can't wait Twisted Evil
censored-03
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
Almond's singing was unique. Post punk torch singer comes to mind.
Quote:
There was something in Marc Almond's voice, it was full of faux camp confidence that could barely hide the plaintive fragility underneath.
Well said. I'm sorry to hear about his crash. I think I just saw something about a new record as recently as Sunday. I wish him a full recovery. His music meant a lot, to a lot of people.