Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

lissa
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Syd, will do!

Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Jan 2009 Posts: 51 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
lissa wrote:
I also finished New Moon (on audiobook) a few days ago and have been listening to Eclipse. You're right, warpedgirl, Meyer has a beautiful imagination. She tends to answer questions before they become nagging in the reader's mind. Her dialogue is rich, and though some of the descriptions are a little flowery at times, the writing isn't over the top, which balances the books nicely.

I'm listening to Eclipse but reading (book form) Handle with Care, Jodi Picoult's latest. This author deals with subjects that are current and many times, she approaches topics that are new to readers. This one deals with a girl born with a condition called OI - osteogenesis imperfecta. Her bones are malleable and brittle, and she experiences breaks frequently. Picoult's style often includes chapters written from different points of view, and this one is no exception. We hear from both parents, Charlotte and Sean; Charlotte's best friend Piper, who was her obstetrician; Amelia, Charlotte's older daughter from another marriage, and Marin, the lawyer in the case brought against Piper (no more about that).

The book is written in 2nd person - all written to Willow, the child with OI. That makes it interesting, because we hear all sides of it except Willow's; she is the recipient of this retelling of her life. I'm not yet halfway through, so though I don't know it, I do know there's a reason for the 2nd-person POV. Jodi Picoult always has a stunning conclusion to her books, and she doesn't favor negative or positive endings, so I don't know where this is going. Nor will I report it back when I'm done - I won't spoil it for anyone else.
Wink

Yeah her writing isn't over the top and she does have a great imagination. Handle With Care sounds like a good book. I will have to read that sometime. Have you read The Giver?

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote
I haven't read The Giver but I remember its popularity when I volunteered at my son's school library. I'll have to pick up a copy, I've read the synopsis on Amazon and it looks awesome!

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to have to check out In Defense of Food.

Syd.......I've read that one and liked it. Good wake-up call. I own Omnivore's Dilemna but haven't gotten around to it.

Lissa and wgirl.........I finished the series......in book form......and was very satisfied at how Meyer wrapped things up. Liked the 3rd and 4th book better than the 2nd. Let's talk when you all get finished.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:01 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to discussing it, Betsy!

Wgirl, I read a book you might find interesting: Jacquelyn Mitchard, a writer who's mostly catered to adult audiences but who has written for young adults, penned All We Know Of Heaven, the story of two girls, 16 years old, best friends, almost identical to one another in demeanor, stature, looks and likes, who are in a horrible car crash 2 days before Christmas. One girl dies, the other is in a coma, with critical injuries. The premise of the book revolves around mistaken identity: the girl whom they thought they buried is actually the one who survived, but only after she can speak do they find this out. The effects it has on her family, the family of the girl who actually died, the friends and classmates, are far and wide, devastating and heartwrenching.

Thing is, this is not implausible. There was an actual case of this happening just last year, and more in the past - from which Jacquelyn drew her inspiration. Her writing is superb, and the story stayed with me even a week after closing the covers. I recommend it to adult and teens alike.

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I just finished Columbine by Dave Cullen. He was on the story from the begining and provides a lot of information which only came out years after the event. It's an amazing read, and I say this as someone who in general I has no interest in "true crime" books. Finally it offers a convincing examination of the pathologies which lead to the attack. The biographies of the survivors are very moving, often inspiring. If the subject is not too disturbing for you, and you have questions about the causes or the aftermath, I highly recommend it.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Joe,

From what you've so aptly described, I doubt the book would be for me. Nonetheless, it's wonderful to see you in here!!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:14 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I like Inkheart a lot better as a book than as a movie (which I liked anyway). The climax actually more or less makes sense in the book. The author still has some tall explaining to do with respect to her hooks for the sequels.

In particular, the book handles the maiden aunt a lot better. In the movie, you're wondering why she's still there after the half-way point.

I liked the use of quotations, in particular, the one to The Neverending Story, which Cornelia Funke owes a heavy debt to.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I knew you'd like the book, Syd. I read it when it first came out, and it is one of my favorites. I've her 2nd and 3rd as well, but have to find time to read them!

I agree with you about quotations used; and all through the book I kept thinking, this is a book about books and the people who love them - FOR the people who love them. That's how I've recommended it, as well.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The ending of the movie is different in a lot of ways, resolving some plot threads in a way that makes me think they're not planning to do the sequels. Capricorn's home is quite different, too. The role played by Peter Pan in the book is played by The Wizard of Oz in the movie.

That makes the changes sound more significant than they are. Really, it's about as faithful an adaptation as you could wish for.

The sequels will have to wait. I just got the new Harry Dresden file, which means re-reading the last two or three books.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Having loved the book - do you recommend I see the film, Syd?

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Having loved the book - do you recommend I see the film, Syd?

Sure. It's a pretty good job of adaptation and it's well cast. Helen Mirren plays Meggie's great-aunt Elinor, and she's always welcome. The girl who plays Meggie does a good job.

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Coming September 15th: Dan Brown's 3rd Robert Langdon novel, The Lost Symbol! I'll be at Costco to buy it cheap, and meanwhile, will re-read the first two. YAY!

(Now let's just hope the Taliban doesn't get their hands on nukes before then...)

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I have gotten into a book I've been meaning to read for a while and finally picked it up at the library. Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants grabbed me from page 1, and I am deeply moved by what I have read so far.

Other books on my shelf:

Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - lauded by many, and applauded by Amy Tan
    Dash Shaw's graphic novel Bottomless Belly Button

and many more. All that and STILL listening to the Twilight series on my iPod...Book 3, and counting!

By the way, if anyone is interested in Lisa See's books, she writes about China, and in the tradition of Amy Tan. Her books (the editions I bought) have book club-type thoughts at the end...if anyone would like to read the one I mentioned, and then discuss it...I'd be happy to host.