Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Nancy
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Has anyone seen Be Kind Rewind (2008)?
Dvd just turned up, but I am extremely wary.

You should be. It's dreadful.

Isaacism, 2009
Nancy
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
I assumed Shifu was some kind of fox or fennec, not a red panda.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12895 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Wikipedia says he's a red panda and he does look like one, especially the tail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

On the other hand, he also looks like a raccoon dog (tanuki), which live in China as well as Japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racoon_dog
These are featured in Pom Poko and Princess Raccoon. However, since tanuki are noted for the size of their testicles, I suspect Shifu isn't one.

A correction: Po's father is a goose, not a duck. So is the messenger Oogway sends to the prison, and a lot of the staff at the palace are geese as well. The valley has a lot of rabbits (they breed like, well...) and pigs.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I notice one of DreamWorks upcoming projects is How to Train Your Dragon with a character Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, described as one of the few Vikings who uses his brain. It looks like it's intended for kids, and there are five sequels to the book, including How to Be a Pirate.

There are also two more Shreks coming up (I thought it had exhausted its potential in Shrek the Third) and a Puss in Boots: the Story of an Ogre Killer, which sounds like fun. One of the previews before Kung Fu Panda was Madagascar Escape 2 Africa which actually looks entertaining.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The founder of the academy is a wise old tortoise named Oogway. Any speculation on what that means? We don't get to see much turtle fu.

Well, "gway" (gui, in pinyin) means ghost. So fits if he is the deceased founder. Not sure on the Oo part, which doesn't sound like any character (Chinese character, that is) I know of, but could change the meaning considerably.

[For example, mogui means devil. Jiugui means a drunkard ("alcohol devil"). Xixuegui means vampire.
So not sure exactly what oogui means.

Other characters for gui have other meanings, but I'd assume that's the right one.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oolong means "black dragon." Does "Oo" mean black? Oogway isn't a ghost in the movie, though, and not black, although he does have something otherworldly about him.

R. A. MacAvoy's first novel was Tea with the Black Dragon. I don't remember if he drank Oolong tea, but it would have just like MacAvoy.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wulong = black dragon, in Mandarin.
Wu actually means dark.
So wugui (which sounds similar to oogway) could be dark ghost.

But wu also means military or powerful, as in wushu, the Chinese name for martial arts.

So Oogway could mean wugui, sort of a powerful spirit or martial arts spirit. Well, according to me anyway. I don't think that's a standard Chinese term, but maybe it's something I don't know.

Last edited by gromit on Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
The founder of the academy is a wise old tortoise named Oogway. Any speculation on what that means? We don't get to see much turtle fu.

Sorry, I was doing other things at the same time and missed what animal it is.
Forget about ghosts or spirits,
Gui means turtle, plain and simple.

Wu Gui probably means powerful turtle, or military turtle.

Much easier (for me) if they actually used Pinyin.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, he's the Great and Powerful Turtle! Actually a character from the Wild Cards anthology series, but I wonder if they lifted the name.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I saw Iron Man last night. I liked it. I think they did a better job coveying emotions when the hero was in "costume" than with Spider-Man. But then, it was logical to show Stark within the suit, something you couldn't do with Parker inside his Spidey costume (it makes you realize what an asset it was to have those artist's renderings of his "Spidey-sense" in the comics). Going back to Three Kings, I always have a kind of moral revulsion against lighthearted entertaiment which uses the Mid East as a backdrop. But what can you do? The story was well-told, Robert Downey, Jr was great casting, and I look forward to the next one. I guess I could see him in The Incredible Hulk now, if I wanted to.

-Topher
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I saw Iron Man last night. I liked it. I think they did a better job coveying emotions when the hero was in "costume" than with Spider-Man. But then, it was logical to show Stark within the suit, something you couldn't do with Parker inside his Spidey costume (it makes you realize what an asset it was to have those artist's renderings of his "Spidey-sense" in the comics). Going back to Three Kings, I always have a kind of moral revulsion against lighthearted entertaiment which uses the Mid East as a backdrop. But what can you do? The story was well-told, Robert Downey, Jr was great casting, and I look forward to the next one. I guess I could see him in The Incredible Hulk now, if I wanted to.

Afghanistan is really NOT the Mid-East. It's close to NW China and Pakistan.

What would you rather have? Africa? Russia? Chechya?

Basically the "villain" is just a McGuffin, or the "villain du jour."
globear
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
has anyone seen Sex & The City?
gromit
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
has anyone seen:

Charlie Bartlett
Jack & Jill vs. The World
The Onion Movie
???

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
globear wrote:
has anyone seen Sex & The City?

YES! Mucho eye candy for the fashionista.
Syd
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:

Downey's in that one for maybe a minute. I didn't stay through the closing credits so I don't know if there is anything there like there is in Iron Man.