Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Blanche Awards 2011

gromit
Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see this get done.

But it seems that we don't have enough people participating for whatever reason.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
gromit wrote:

But it seems that we don't have enough people participating for whatever reason.
I would suggest the "reason" has a lot to do with the number of active members around here. We have lost a lot of posters in the last few years, and gained almost no one.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
gromit wrote:

I would suggest the "reason" has a lot to do with the number of active members around here. We have lost a lot of posters in the last few years, and gained almost no one.

This is true, but a lot of the active members have failed to contribute. If a few of them--carrobin, Marc, chilly, for instance--would deign to provide nominations, we could at least have a shot at it. But no.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I made a couple/three nominations when this was in the other thread, but based on too small a sample of what was good in 2010, so I've held off on doing more....for example, just today I rented "ILY Philp Morris" -- and there are a couple others I should see before suggesting any bests of anything. Maybe that's the position others find themselves in. Really, a list of films to make a final vote on, generated by a few hardcore see-everything types, would be okay in my book. I think Blanche can survive, but maybe she needs some streamlining? A new corset?

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if the perspective of a relative newbie helps or not, but I would suggest a trim. You have a core of heavy-duty filmgoers like INLA and Billy, who gets some kind of SAG deal, and a couple others who hit film festivals and theaters generally more than most. They could convene, construct a simple ballot with candidates for best pic, photog, screenplay, actor, actress, and supportings. Have a period of a week for everyone to look at the ballot, address any glaring omissions, and then put the final one up for voting.

What you have now is piecemeal and confusing and seems to induce guilt when you really don't feel up to picking the best editing or set design. Yes, those are important, but I think a lot of film lovers just frame their preferences in terms of a best picture, fully aware that editing and sets and costumes and directing were all part of that.
lshap
Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Hi again - Here's where I stand on Blanche-dom. I've loved doing it over the years - creating a buzz, setting a timeline, designing posters, and then coming up with snarky & dumb commentary for the award ceremony itself - but I didn't realize how much time it consumed until I found I had none to give this year. It's been a pride thing for me - I enjoy entertaining y'all - and also an expectation thing, where you've assumed (with reason) that I'll simply reappear with a flourish of posters and nomination schedules. I'm aware of that and really felt guilty about letting you guys down, and I kept thinking, "Yeah, I'll find time, like I've done every year". But it just didn't happen. Reasons are complex and for another forum.

The most reasonable option for next year would be to divide the chores. Previously, Melody emailed me friendly reminders ("It's January, dude - get out of your Canadian igloo and do a fucking poster already!") and organized the schedule. My role was mostly MC and gag writer. Not sure where she's been, but maybe someone else would be willing to step up.

We've got seven months to worry about this, but get it in your collective heads that this fun in-joke we've developed is very much alive; it just took a sabbatical. With a little help from you, Blanche will return as feisty as ever in January 2012.

Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
As for billy's reference to me and a few others not participating, I've hardly seen any movies in the last 6 months (maybe 10 at the most), some not even Oscar or Blanche worthy. Not enough for me till fill in 3 items on each category without using copy and paste too often.

As for Lorne's post, while it's a disappointment that those that have participated in the Blanches feel left out, looking forward to 2012, I will offer up my meager Photoshop skills and help create what I can. As long as Lorne will feel confident to give me a round 2 after a few years off.

I think the current state of the forum has been dampened a bit, with some of us swapped with outside projects and all sorts of other members being taken away for other reasons. But as Lorne mentioned, feisty can happen in 2012.

I also would love to hear from Melody. I see her on FB here and there. I'd be happy to be part of the MelMarty Blanche team.

inlareviewer
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote

AU REVOIR, BLANCHE! HAPPY SABBATICAL! SEE YA IN 2012!

This public service announcement was underwritten by the Society of Avid Solipsistic Streepian Yoyos (SASSY), eagerly awaiting December 2011.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Inla, you're images and posts are a pleasure. I still have the nominations for the catagories I took but with so few noiminations it isn't much of a race. Crying or Very sad
inlareviewer
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
marantzo, thanky, backatcha. Can only relate, nom-wise -- Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman were going to be very happy, Annette Bening and Jesse Eisenberg hardly less so. In a parallel universe, perhaps.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Yes, and I was excited because it looked as though the two Oscar frontrunners, The King's Speech and The Social Network, were not even going to be nominated, making the Blanches particularly iconoclastic this time. Oh, well. We'll always have Another Year.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Somehow I cannot shake the notion that the real reason we are Blancheless this year is the absence of nominatable roles for Meryl Streep.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Yes, and I was excited because it looked as though the two Oscar frontrunners, The King's Speech and The Social Network, were not even going to be nominated, making the Blanches particularly iconoclastic this time. Oh, well. We'll always have Another Year.

Indeed, and Hereafter, since this year's gone down the Rabbit Hole in little over 127 Hours.

whiskeypriest wrote:
Somehow I cannot shake the notion that the real reason we are Blancheless this year is the absence of nominatable roles for Meryl Streep.

Weeeeelllll.... there may something to that, Still, SASSY was poised to throw its considerable campaign energies behind one or another of the eventual acting nominees -- being an egalitarian rabid-devotee's-society, after all -- but that just leaves more expanded resources for the inevitable Thatcher frenzy come year's end, tee-hee.