Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Overlooked Films

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've heard that the most recent translation (four or five years back) is supposed to be really good.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Joe.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I read it in Russian. Had no idea what was going on.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm Reply with quote
That joke did not deserve the laugh it got from me.

Marj,
To answer your question, my reading habits/time crunches for school are just too erratic to say I'll join, but if such a discussion takes place, I'd love a heads-up about it, so I might be able to take part.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
The Book Forum is just like any other topic here. You don't join the lobby anymore than you join books.

But I think you were pulling my leg, weren't you, Joe.
knox
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
"Join" as in "join in" maybe?

I'm going to check out "We" too. If the library here has the Eng. trans. This came up a few years ago and at that time they only had the Russian ed. Or I could just wade in anyway, like Marantzo.
Marj
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe?
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
The Book Forum is just like any other topic here. You don't join the lobby anymore than you join books.

But I think you were pulling my leg, weren't you, Joe.

No, not pulling your leg. I just always want to be more a part of the Books discussions than is possible. At the moment, I'd love a We discussion, but who knows what kick I'll be on at the time it's convenient for everyone else to discuss it. (Will I be reading sci-fi, at the time? fin de siecle French literature? American mid-twentieth century domestic drama?) Or how overwhelmed I might be with school.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but agree, Joe. It seems sad, but every time we move a discussion, it often stops it in its tracks. I don't know why.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
A big part of it is that people have to plan to read the book--most people here haven't. So finding the time to read and then hoping interest is still up for it is...spotty.

-Topher
Marj
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
That's what I meant, Joe. Reading a book and conducting a discussion about it is one thing. All I was referring to was moving a discussion - any discussion, from one forum to another. It just happens when we change the subject.

See, now were talking more about forums than the book!
Shane
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
I am recovering from a bad bout with the back and neck so I'm going to give this for now and talk about it later.

The Eighth Day (1996) 
Le huitième jour (original title)
118 min  - 
Director:
Jaco Van Dormael
Writer:
Jaco Van Dormael
Stars:
Daniel Auteuil, Pascal Duquenne and Miou-Miou

Georges has Down syndrome, living at a mental-institution, Harry is a busy businessman, giving lectures for young aspiring salesmen. He is successful in his business life, but his social life is a disaster since his wife left him and took their two children with her. This weekend his children came by train to meet him, but Harry, working as always, forgot to pick them up. Neither his wife or his children want to see him again and he is driving around on the country roads, anguished and angry. He almost runs over Georges, on the run from the institution since everybody else went home with their parents except him, whose mother is dead. Harry tries to get rid of Georges but he won't leave his new friend. Eventually a special friendship forms between the two of them, a friendship which makes Harry a different person. And brings love to Georges.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
A big part of it is that people have to plan to read the book--most people here haven't. So finding the time to read and then hoping interest is still up for it is...spotty.

That can be said with most book groups I've had the sad pleasure to hook up with. Once I was the only one who read the book including the person who had recommended it... needless to say other things were discussed as usual with that group. I find myself reading and talking on the sly, it's easier.

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Best thing about the old NYT Book Forum reading group was the voting for the next month's book. We came within a whisker of getting things like Volume 7 of the Oxford English Dictionary and the tech manual for the Abrams Tank voted in. Not to mention, Tokyo Lucky Hole.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Storm

It’s at times like this when flat, emotionless fare depending on fancy CGI glitter to make up for what it lacks is devouring the screens of thousands of cities crowding out movies with any possible merit, that I thank the forces that be for the rest of the movie industry, in Europe.
Storm shot in Sweden in 2005 and directed by Mans Marlind, also the writer, and Bjorn Stein, gives us what we have been missing ..heart. From the first you are caught by that wonderful emotion, fear, as the unlikely becomes the order of the day as a startlingly dressed Lova, Eva Rose, runs through a traffic jam towards a taxi carrying our reluctant hero, DD, Eric Ericson. So reluctant in fact that he locks the door as she approaches chased by stranger looking dudes than her obviously bent on her destruction. From the moment she exits the cab almost as quickly as she had entered, you become attuned to the idea that this is not your second guesser movie. No indeed, from darkened streets and hallways devoid of people to techno bars offering sleazy refuge this can easily be mistaken for an action noir torn from top line graphic novels. But there’s more...much more. This is a journey through the mind as well and as it turns out you are never too sure when you’ve stopped for a breather or when you should be looking over your shoulder and for whom.Fleeing through his life in search of clues, we inhabit his past unable to close our eyes as he inflicts pain and experiences agony you can only believe must bring a cathartic ending setting it all right. Incredibly paced with an eye towards leaving the audience as exhausted as the hero, you just may find yourself too weary to control the scream of ‘why’ from tearing out of your throat at the unbelievable conclusion. So if you tire easily of lights, sounds and monotonous acting being passed to you as fun, try the foreign section of your library or movie store and make sure to check out Storm.