Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

inlareviewer
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

I'm pretty sure I will, even though the original animated version is one of my all-time favorites of the genre, and indeed of all movies. It would be hard to top it, or even to equal it, in my mind, but the clips I've seen of the new version are admittedly fairly terrific. Gonna see it for sure.

Ditto on the original, matchless, and while the new one doesn't top it -- at times it almost replicates in fact-- the story additions to give Belle and the Beast common past traumas, up Gaston's villainy levels and especially the wider reach of the spell and its resolution are pretty imaginative. It made me appreciate the original all the more (even if Cocteau's is still the benchmark take on the tale), easily the best of this new Disney trend of pillaging its vaults to date. Enormous fun, and (not that this applies to you) whatever else, avoid hallucinogenics, or "Be Our Guest" will make one's head fall off.

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

I'm pretty sure I will, even though the original animated version is one of my all-time favorites of the genre, and indeed of all movies. It would be hard to top it, or even to equal it, in my mind, but the clips I've seen of the new version are admittedly fairly terrific. Gonna see it for sure.

Ditto on the original, matchless, and while the new one doesn't top it -- at times it almost replicates in fact-- the story additions to give Belle and the Beast common past traumas, up Gaston's villainy levels and especially the wider reach of the spell and its resolution are pretty imaginative. It made me appreciate the original all the more (even if Cocteau's is still the benchmark take on the tale), easily the best of this new Disney trend of pillaging its vaults to date. Enormous fun, and (not that this applies to you) whatever else, avoid hallucinogenics, or "Be Our Guest" will make one's head fall off.

Hahaha. I'm not a sucker for animation per se, but BandtheB makes me swoon, as does Finding Nemo (NOT the sequel, btw). I'm not a Pixar fan very much, though Toy Story 2 and that gorgeous song "When She Loved Me" leaves me awash. But generally I still prefer the old-school Disney--Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Dumbo, Bambi, etc.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
An annoyance for me is that "When She Loved Me" (arguably the best song written for a Disney movie by Randy Newman) lost the Oscar to a mediocrity by Phil Collins from Tarzan (another Disney movie). Newman later won for a song I can't remember at all.
Befade
Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My 14 year old granddaughter and I bonded over the movie. She's a huge Arianna Grande fan so we stayed through all the credits to hear her sing. Afterward we discussed the latest sexting and bullying she's been experiencing at school........

Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
An annoyance for me is that "When She Loved Me" (arguably the best song written for a Disney movie by Randy Newman) lost the Oscar to a mediocrity by Phil Collins from Tarzan (another Disney movie). Newman later won for a song I can't remember at all.

"If I Didn't Have You" from Monsters Inc. I know, I had to look it up, too.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
My 14 year old granddaughter and I bonded over the movie. She's a huge Arianna Grande fan so we stayed through all the credits to hear her sing. Afterward we discussed the latest sexting and bullying she's been experiencing at school........

(A) You can't POSSIBLY be old enough to have a granddaughter. (B) How lovely to bond over this particular film. (C) I actually like Ms. Grande and Mr. Legend's take on the title tune, so how sweet is that? (D) Exactly my point about resonance/relevance. Wayeh kewel.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Hahaha. I'm not a sucker for animation per se, but BandtheB makes me swoon, as does Finding Nemo (NOT the sequel, btw). I'm not a Pixar fan very much, though Toy Story 2 and that gorgeous song "When She Loved Me" leaves me awash. But generally I still prefer the old-school Disney--Snow White, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Dumbo, Bambi, etc.

Can only agree, although I am still very much taken by Up and, WALL-E, but, yes, certainly the old-school Disney films are unparalleled.

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:

"If I Didn't Have You" from Monsters Inc. I know, I had to look it up, too.

And this, Syd, is why we love you, and always will. You actually looked it up, because lord knows, we'd forgotten. LOL

Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
I am still very much taken by Up and, WALL-E...

I agree, and parts of Ratatouille as well, but all the new Disneys seem to end with some kind of (to me) interchangeable chase scene. Always. Turns me off.
Befade
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Inla. Teenagers these days are in desperate need of adult support.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:
I am still very much taken by Up and, WALL-E...

I agree, and parts of Ratatouille as well, but all the new Disneys seem to end with some kind of (to me) interchangeable chase scene. Always. Turns me off.

D'ACCORD.

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Thanks, Inla. Teenagers these days are in desperate need of adult support.

You're welcome, calls 'em like we sees 'em, and WORD.

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Dracula (1931). Believe it or not, I'd never seen it before, which is why I was startled to find out that Castle Dracula was infested with opossums (which are kind of rattish) and ... armadillos. I wonder if Dracula could change into one of them, too.

Odd film, in that so many of the crucial scenes take place off-stage. Lugosi's iconic, but this is a B-movie compared to Frankenstein, which is a genuinely great film.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Always wondered about those armadillos. Figured that the Count, being wealthy, imported them from Texas in order to keep the soil (which most vampires sleep in) free of worms and other invertebrates.

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Always wondered about those armadillos. Figured that the Count, being wealthy, imported them from Texas in order to keep the soil (which most vampires sleep in) free of worms and other invertebrates.

As good an explanation as any.