<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
The King's Speech ***/****

Absolutely very good. I was whelmed.

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Limitless

In what must be every struggling slob of a writer's fantasy, a struggling slob of a writer becomes successful and important practically overnight. This is a cool, slick movie which could have been a great one if it had been a little braver about exploring its premise. Robert DeNiro supplies gravitas without even breaking a sweat. There were several loose plot threads dangling at the end and I won't soon forgive the filmmakers for uglying up the beautiful Anna Friel almost beyond recognition. But overall I had a good time.

***1/2 out of *****

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
The title suggests a premise that would be hard to do justice. The hint of Flowers for Algernon in the summary made me think right off that they would just skim the surface of all the changes that the pill would bring. Also, uglying up Anna Friel is a federal offense.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
So far the only 2011 release I would praise without qualification is The Adjustment Bureau, which was strangely unappreciated as the minor masterpiece it is. I notice that older people don't seem to like it at all--except for me, my wife, and, possibly, Gary, though he hasn't weighed in yet.

Of course, I realize I haven't actually seen that many 2011 releases.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
It's not here yet, but if it comes I will catch it.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I notice that older people don't seem to like it at all--except for me, my wife, and, possibly, Gary, though he hasn't weighed in yet.

I liked it a lot, and am oddly pleased that I have not been included in the category "older people."

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Your Highness: Imagine a plot similar to The Princess Bride written by the kid in Superbad who was obsessed with penises, and that he thinks merely popping in swear words is funny and you get this movie. I could actually see how the story sounded good to Natalie Portlman but the execution sucks. ** out of *****.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
I saw the trailer with the clip of Portman stripping down to a thong, by a waterfall. That was all I needed to see of the film.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
There's another sequence with lots of bare boobs, but not Portman's.

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
http://www.boomtron.com/2010/10/ridley-scott-takes-on-pkds-the-man-in-the-high-castle/

YESSSSSSSSS!

Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Saw "Source Code" -- more than the sum of its synopsis. Fascinating mindbender, beautifully shot and edited and the leads, Monaghan, Farmiga (who I'm usually hohum about) and Jake G. are all excellent and perfectly cast. Philip Dick would be proud!

What a film year 2011 is turning out to be.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Saw The Conspirator yesterday. Very good! I wonder how authentic it was. Excellent acting. Spoiler: It dwelled far too long, unecessarily, in the hanging scene. A flaw that a few directors tend to go with.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote
Gary, it is very authentic. As I mentioned in Current Film, I saw it with a history nut who usually picks these kinds of films to tiny quivering pieces. She said it was amazing and that Redford had a writer on the project for years, doing painstaking research.

The spoiler alert is a good idea....sounds like a lot of people are not familiar with the Surratt events.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
Gary, it is very authentic. As I mentioned in Current Film, I saw it with a history nut who usually picks these kinds of films to tiny quivering pieces. She said it was amazing and that Redford had a writer on the project for years, doing painstaking research.

The spoiler alert is a good idea....sounds like a lot of people are not familiar with the Surratt events.
Really? Maybe it's just me then, but I thought gary's spoiler was the equivalent of putting a spoiler alert around the fact that the boat sinks in Titanic. But then I confess to the US Civil War being one of my several hobby horses.

Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a lot of people know Booth jumped on the stage, yelled Sic Semper Tyrannis and....that's about it. I guess you can be happy that this is just the sort of intelligent film that will get some people more interested in that period.

How did your Jeopardy tryout go? Or has that happened yet? Your comment reminded me, because Jeopardy often has CW era questions.