Third Eye Film Society Forum Index
Author Message

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Film Squawks: 10-Second Reviews on Current Film

billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 20554 Location: New York City
Knight and Day: Action/romantic/secret agent/comedy is sort of what Charade might have looked like if it had been made in 2010 with less style. James Mangold is a decent director, the first big setpiece is very funny, and Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are charismatic and mightily attractive, but the story is borderline brainless and the CGI stunts are sometimes just too incredible to be entertaining. All that said, I had a pretty good time and my rating is *** if you love Cruise and Diaz, **1/2 if you like only one of them, ** otherwise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lshap
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Billy - Your review has clarified my indecision about seeing Knight and Day. I'm now positively going to see it or not. I like Cruise, but I wonder about his acting future as he approaches 50. Can he keep channeling the smarmy Top Gun persona with twangy voice and hair, even as his body and skin slowly surrender to time?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
marantzo
Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Guest
I like Diaz so I guess it's **1/2 for me.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 20554 Location: New York City
lshap wrote:
Billy - Your review has clarified my indecision about seeing Knight and Day. I'm now positively going to see it or not. I like Cruise, but I wonder about his acting future as he approaches 50. Can he keep channeling the smarmy Top Gun persona with twangy voice and hair, even as his body and skin slowly surrender to time?


About this I can be 100 percent positive: Cruise continues to look simply great, and the "twangy" stuff continues to work its aggressive charm. He looks more or less his age, but as they say, "He's aging well." Really well. And if he's had work done--and he probably has--it's fantastic work.

I repeat: if you can agree to overlook the sometimes idiotic story and can kick back and enjoy the superhuman feats of bullet-dodging and building-jumping that ensue, you can have a fun time at Knight and Day.

Forgot to mention the overqualified actors employed to play various supporting roles--Peter Sarsgaard, Viola Davis, Paul Dano, Celia Weston, etc. But they all seem to be having a certain amount of fun with the assorted hoke.

To put it in context, I liked this movie far better than the Mission: Impossible travesties it resembles in part. This one has humor and charm along with the feats of daring, and doesn't trash the fictional memory of Jim Phelps in the bargain.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 20554 Location: New York City
Knight and Day haiku:

Cruise and Diaz rock.
Special effects are cheesy.
I prefer Charade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 7750 Location: NYC
Men with swords take charge
in twelfth-century Nottingham;
that woman can ride.

I give "Robin Hood" four stars, though most critics apparently didn't see the same film I did. Action, adventure, romance, and a remarkably believable look into the year 1199--and I didn't think Crowe was sullen, just serious.
View user's profile Send private message
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 20554 Location: New York City
carrobin wrote:
Men with swords take charge
in twelfth-century Nottingham;
that woman can ride.

I give "Robin Hood" four stars, though most critics apparently didn't see the same film I did. Action, adventure, romance, and a remarkably believable look into the year 1199--and I didn't think Crowe was sullen, just serious.



One two many syllables in second line unless you pronounce it "centchry."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Men with swords take charge
in twelfth-century Nottingham;
that woman can ride.

I give "Robin Hood" four stars, though most critics apparently didn't see the same film I did. Action, adventure, romance, and a remarkably believable look into the year 1199--and I didn't think Crowe was sullen, just serious.



One two many syllables in second line unless you pronounce it "centchry."
One "too" many syllables.

And I suppose Nott/nam is a possibility as well.

_________________
I ask you, Velvel, as a rational man, which of us is possessed?
View user's profile Send private message
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 7750 Location: NYC
Hey, in 1199 they pronouned it "Not'ngm." Theoretically.
View user's profile Send private message
bartist
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Apr 2010 Posts: 6635 Location: Black Hills
Always dialect differences, so hakuists get a little wiggle room....

Haiku needs good math,
but recall that "steel" has two
syllables down South
View user's profile Send private message
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 7750 Location: NYC
My sister can get three syllables into her favorite swear word, "Rats." I'm serious. I can't do it, and I grew up in South Carolina too.
View user's profile Send private message
Ghulam
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 4731 Location: Upstate NY
Jane Campion's Bright Star, **1/2. Story of John Keats' romance with Fanny Braun. Plodding and unengaging.
View user's profile Send private message
Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 19 May 2004 Posts: 8423
"Bright Star lacks heat, a Hallmark Card about John Keats. *.


Last edited by Marc on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 20554 Location: New York City
Marc wrote:
"Bright Star lacks heat, a Hallmark Card about John Keats.


Never had the slightest desire to see this movie; had the strongest possible feeling that this is exactly what I would think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
Marc wrote:
"Bright Star lacks heat, a Hallmark Card about John Keats.


Never had the slightest desire to see this movie; had the strongest possible feeling that this is exactly what I would think about it.
Yes, but metrically speaking it's 4/4/4 - our worst haiku yet!

_________________
I ask you, Velvel, as a rational man, which of us is possessed?
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:  

All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 38
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Post new topic

Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum