Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  FILMS I HATE

ehle64
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
FILMS I HATE.

A film you hate may not necessarily be a bad film. In fact, it might be an award winning film. It's not good bad or campy bad. It's hateful bad. It induces a gut level response that verges on nausea. It gets under your skin like a serious case of the crabs. It's the film equivalent of the swine flu. A film you hate sends you from the theater with an urgent and desperate need to take a shower. It is the exact opposite of a "feel good" film. The only upside to having seen a film you hate is the pleasure of letting the world know just how much you hated it. Here's your chance.
Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Let the rants begin.
Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll be going to the video store later today to peruse the shelves and pick out a couple of loathsome films to re-watch and review.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Good idea marc. You do have a touch of masochism. Smile

Just to ease into this slowly, I'll mention a movie that my son absolutely hated, but I haven't seen. And believe me, he likes some movies that normal people don't. The Saw movies for example. Laughing Talking to him a week ago, we went to the movie part of our conversation and he said he saw The Box and it was horrible. I told him that it would probably become a cult classic shown at midnight with the audience shouting out the dialogue. He seemed to have a more tolerant view of the film seeing it from that perspective. I'm pretty sure it will never come here, but if it does, I am soooo there!
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
So we decided on a David Lynch forum, then?

Yes, I'm using the same joke twice. Sue me.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Marc wrote:
I'll be going to the video store later today to peruse the shelves and pick out a couple of loathsome films to re-watch and review.

What? We're not supposed to watch them again, are we?

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
First and foremost on any list of Films I Hate is the Oscarwinning snore-and-barf-fest called The English Patient. The reasons why I hate it are many and varied. A minor reason is that it's set in the desert, the setting for another Oscarwinning movie I hate and one I seem to be the only one who does--Lawrence of Arabia. But back to The English Patient. The desert is a momentarily beautiful but ultimately monotonous setting for a movie. But that is soooo minor a reason in comparison with the big one--that we are asked to sympathize with an adulterous relationship that is nothing but selfish.

A second reason is that the two people in question have no chemistry whatsoever with each other. Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas, fine actors though they are reputed to be (though never favorites of mine, ever, either), are sexual clams. He can't light a fire with anyone in any movie I've ever seen him in, and she hasn't had that much chance but has pretty much blown her few opportunities. In The Horse Whisperer Robert Redford has more chemistry (albeit platonic) with the preteen Scarlett Johansson than with her screen mom Scott Thomas.

Another reason I hate this film is that it won the Oscar over one of my top ten films of all time, Fargo. Enough said? Well, not nearly, but enough for now. I will comment further when people have responded.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The English Patient, btw, could lead off a sub-forum for me: Oscarwinning movies I hate. There are a whole hell of a lot of them.

Also btw, it pleases me no end that Elaine Benes, the Julia Louis-Dreyfus character on Seinfeld, hated The English Patient loudly, on network television.
Marc
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I too hated The English Patient. While I don't remotely hate Lawrence Of Arabia I do find it boring.

I am going to vent my hate on Oliver Stone's The Doors once I'm done viewing it later tonight. I'll need some wine to get thru it.
Syd
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen The English Patient. The Oscar Best Picture winners I vent against are Terms of Endearment and Marty. I thought Marty was okay the first time I saw it, but each time I watch it, Marty and his dialogue become more and more annoying. Terms of Endearment I hated the only time I saw it.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I knew Billy would name The English Patient. But he did it before I could and he retold Elaine's hatred of the movie from Seinfeld. I think seeing that episode was one of the most satisfying television experiences of my life.

The film literally made me itch.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Hate English Patient. Hate Terms of Endearment. Never saw Marty. Would watch LoA just for Omar Sharif's entrance but think that while the ride across the desert to attack Aqaba may have taken 5 weeks it shouldn't've seemed that way in the movie.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
The English Patient, btw, could lead off a sub-forum for me: Oscarwinning movies I hate. There are a whole hell of a lot of them.
#1 with a bullet: The Greatest Show on Earth. But that's low hanging fruit. Hard to really hate something so obviously unworthy.

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Also btw, it pleases me no end that Elaine Benes, the Julia Louis-Dreyfus character on Seinfeld, hated The English Patient loudly, on network television.

My late wife, Shirley Anne, saw The English Patient (I didn't) and hated it. When we watched the English Patient episode of Seinfeld and Elaine's loathing of the film, she was so happy that Elaine was saying all the things about the movie that mirrored her hatred of it.
Syd
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Terms of Endearment is a more worthy target, since for years later I was seeing film ads comparing films to Terms of Endearment. I think Beaches was one of them, so it was years before I saw it. I don't dislike Beaches, particularly, although I grew thoroughly sick of hearing "Wind Beneath My Wings."