Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Coen Brothers: A Specialty Forum

whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:
I just thought of something about the Coens. They have set their films in a number of American locations, using their landscape and atmosphere brilliantly and most definitely showing these parts of American culture in comical send ups, tragic cruelty, screwball rationale etc. etc., or all of these in one. So far they have not even come close to touching on that giant melting pot, New York City, where they live and have lived for some time. I see a great movie taking place in NYC in their future. I'd bet that they have been working on a screen play for this movie for years.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
Going to Sitka with their next film, from what I read.

Oh, you changed it. Where in the hell is Sitka?
Alaska also. It's your fictional homeland. I had the wrong city for the location of The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I've never read it.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I figured Alaska. I read about The Yiddish Policeman's Union when the book came out. Sounds like a perfect vehicle for the boys.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I figured Alaska. I read about The Yiddish Policeman's Union when the book came out. Sounds like a perfect vehicle for the boys.
Heh. Just as A Serious Man could be their reaction to people who thought No Country's ending was too open ended, YPU could be their reaction to people who thought A Serious Man was "too Jewish." "Oh, no, we'll show you too Jewish."

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I must say, if furtherance to a point I made in my first post about the Coens and their collaborators: I cannot wait to see what Roger Deakins does with Alaska.

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
marantzo wrote:

I've read the book. It's pretty good but it's going to be a challenge to fit it into a movie.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm almost prepared. I watched Raising Arizona online and have Blood Simple on top of the TV waiting to be watched.

My comments on Raising Arizona are going to be mixed. A few scenes made me laugh out loud (the heist near the end, and a lot of the first ten minutes), but a lot of it dragged or just wasn't funny. For some reason the Coens thought just having people screaming was funny. I think the Coens just aren't that good at straight comedy. They are very good, however, at mixing comedy into drama, as in Fargo, and I liked the dark comedy of Barton Fink.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:54 am Reply with quote
Syd, as I said, don't wait for me to finish my review of Blood Simple. I will get to it as soon as I can. I don't think there will be a problem if we overlap.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
Copyright issues.

Sure, that's what I said.
But the first song worked so well on many levels, and then the replacement was just a song without significance.
So I'm hoping there's somewhere/-way to get The Same Old Song version. Maybe you just have to do it yourself.

The DVD of Blood Simple I just gor from Netfliix has "The Same Old Song." Just sayin'.
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Good for Netflix.
No wonder their stock is over $100/share.
I should probably dig out my copy and watch it and see which song I get.

I know I've seen it with the substitute song enough to remember that it was I'm a Believer without even having to look it up.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Watched Blood Simple. I had forgotten just how amazing it is. Wow.
knox
Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
The PL here has a decent collection of DVDs, including the Coens, so I will have a library copy of Blood Simple by Monday.

Syd, the humor in RA may depend on mood you happen to be in -- seems to me that's often the case with comedy (and by "mood," I don't necessarily mean "blood alcohol level"). I thought the prisoners screaming as they are escaped/birthed from their muddy escape tunnel was funny, and don't recall that anything dragged for me in that film. Even small touches struck me as funny, like the dumber convict asking the clerk if he carries funny-shaped balloons and the shopkeeper says they do, "if round is funny." I think the film might be the one to introduce the Coen comedic device of diction and word choices that don't fit a person's societal niche, esp. John Goodman and some of Cage's lines -- found this quite funny.
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
I believe it goes:

"Do these balloons come in funny shapes?"

"Not unless round is funny."

Or at least that's the way I've internalized it.
Love that.
Love the humor in Raising A.

The baby-stealing fight where Cage lifts his arms up to smash Goodman and scrapes his fingers on the stucco ceiling, bends over in pain and gets smashed by Goodman (through the wall into the bathroom).

The Huggies chase scene is hilarious, and where Carter Burwell's music is edited into the Coens' world very effectively.

What do we want to discuss with regard to Blood Simple? If I re-watch it, I could focus in on something specific, since I know the film very well already.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
The DVD of Blood Simple I just gor from Netfliix has "The Same Old Song." Just sayin'.

Same here. Also noticed "He's Got to Go" playing when Julian's talking to the private detective.

I've got the film paused right now. Dan Hedaya in profile looks uncannily like Richard Nixon, so you know he's evil. Someone else noticed, because he played Nixon in Dick.

Last edited by Syd on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

The Huggies chase scene is hilarious, and where Carter Burwell's music is edited into the Coens' world very effectively.

I especially liked the impromptu dog pack.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood Simple is the Coen brothers at their best, right up there with Fargo and No Country for Old Men. I really liked the twists and turns of the plot many of which I didn't see coming, and the climactic scene had me on the edge of my seat.

This is one of those movies that's hard to discuss without spoiler alerts. People who haven't seen it before should not read any reviews in advance, except that it's very much a film noir. And a damned smart one.