Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Coen Brothers: A Specialty Forum

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Billy,

In the category: Better late than never, I'm as thrilled for you as one can be.

Have a ball!!

Don't know whether I ever mentioned that Ethan gave me personal direction during the shoot. The movie's release has been moved to later in the year, which is all to the good. A February release is not as great as a spring, summer, fall, or Christmas one. So I'm hoping for a hit.
Marj
Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Marj wrote:
Billy,

In the category: Better late than never, I'm as thrilled for you as one can be.

Have a ball!!

Don't know whether I ever mentioned that Ethan gave me personal direction during the shoot. The movie's release has been moved to later in the year, which is all to the good. A February release is not as great as a spring, summer, fall, or Christmas one. So I'm hoping for a hit.

Not that I noticed, Billy, but what's one more thrill between friends?!

A later release is certainly better for all. But that contradicts my desire to see it as soon as possible. ASAP means ASAP and no arguing. See. I'm torn!! *sigh*
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
While waiting for Inside Llewyn Davis, just note that Fargo is now streaming on Netflix. An opportunity, if you want it, to remind yourself just how fucking close to perfect that movie is.

Edit: Sorry, billy.

Last edited by whiskeypriest on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
While waiting for Inside Llewyn Davis, just note that Fargo is now streaming on Netflix. An opportunity, if you want it, to remind yourself just how fucking close to perfect that movie is.

And just what about it is less than perfect?
marantzo
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:

They don't show Fargo. Laughing
gromit
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It's just not that interesting.
One of the more overpraised films of the last 20 years.

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:

Uh... the guy who plays Shep Proudfoot's neighbor underplays his role?

Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Llewyn Davis Monday.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Seeing Llewyn Davis Monday.

Where???

And before you do I have to tell you where to look for me.
bartist
Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I love the little stories in A Serious Man - the shtetl tale at the beginning, the orthodontist's tale of the goy's teeth, Rabbi Marshak's spin on the Jefferson Airplane...I'm not entirely sure what they mean, nor am I meant to. It's something to reflect on. ASM holds up well to a second viewing. Or perhaps more. The cat is dead, or it's alive, I don't understand it myself but I know you have to do the math. God may be seen in the parking lot, if you look at it with fresh eyes.

The purest and most personal Coen movie. Had to see it again to realize its greatness.

Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I love the little stories in A Serious Man - the shtetl tale at the beginning, the orthodontist's tale of the goy's teeth, Rabbi Marshak's spin on the Jefferson Airplane...I'm not entirely sure what they mean, nor am I meant to. It's something to reflect on. ASM holds up well to a second viewing. Or perhaps more. The cat is dead, or it's alive, I don't understand it myself but I know you have to do the math. God may be seen in the parking lot, if you look at it with fresh eyes.

The purest and most personal Coen movie. Had to see it again to realize its greatness.

Definitely holds up. It's still only my second favorite Coen--Fargo will always be hard to beat and I haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis yet and many are calling it their best--but ASM is great and, odd for the Coens, underrated.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:

Definitely holds up. It's still only my second favorite Coen--Fargo will always be hard to beat and I haven't seen Inside Llewyn Davis yet and many are calling it their best--but ASM is great and, odd for the Coens, underrated.
It's my third favorite - though it is close between it, Fargo and No Country for Old Men. I should really write a short bit on it, see if I can spur a discussion....

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I recently had a request for some comedy films from my 18 year old niece.
So one film I tossed in was Burn After Reading, which I thought was pretty amusing and under-appreciated. And I assume they didn't see.

Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I recently had a request for some comedy films from my 18 year old niece.
So one film I tossed in was Burn After Reading, which I thought was pretty amusing and under-appreciated. And I assume they didn't see.

I appreciated it. Liked it a lot. Saw it twice. I agree, it was under-appreciated.
knox
Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
What's the story about "Gambit" ?? I think this is part of the Joel and Ethan oeuvre, since they scripted it. It was released in late 2012 in the UK, but hasn't made it here, and now there's a vague 2014 release?? I'm using too many question marks, but this is a bit weird. Has anyone with a multiregion player seen the DVD?