Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Coen Brothers: A Specialty Forum

knox
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Gromit...

" Which noir did they swipe the bullet going through the wall (a door in the original) and letting a thin shaft of light into a darkened room? I know it ends an old 40's film, but can't recall which. "

I'm fairly sure that's a nod to Fritz Lang's "Ministry of Fear," a 40s noir with Ray Milland as a guy who is released from a loony bin and gets caught up with some kind of spy ring. There is a scene where we see one of the bad guys run outside from a dark room...as the door shuts behind him, there is a shot fired and a bullet hole appears in the door shining into the darkness of the room.

Marc....

enjoy your vivid and visceral descriptions...."Shadows, neon signs, light sliced like incandescent meat by the blades of venetian blinds, this is the language of noir...."
gromit
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Ministry of Fear, that's it.
I was going to say that it was from a Lang film, and then blanked on which one it could be.
MoF really needs a good Dvd release.
I have a crappy version, some sort of Taiwanese bootleg I think.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
the Coen brothers dubbed the rush forward tracking shots the "Raimi cam".
gromit
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the Coens edit one of the first 2 Evil Deads?
In between Blood Simple and Raising Arizona, they also wrote Crimewave which Raimi directed. Has anyone seen that? I'd be interested to know what that's like.

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I just had to watch Fargo tonight, one of my favorite movies.Besides the fact that it's a great, crime movie, it always makes me get an odd feeling ; the way they are with each other, the breakfast scene, the small talk, quaint homes, the conversations are as stark as the landscape. . I'm telling you my immediate feelings as I have to go to bed. I know I'll be talking like Frances McDormand all day tomorrow and thinking about the foot in the shredder. HA! Love it! Good night

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 am Reply with quote
Fargo is on my all-time top-ten list.

Blood Simple is on its way from Netflix.
yambu
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
I can't say William Macy stole this film - there was too much great stuff going on apart from him. But my favorite scene among so many memorable ones is when he's scraping the ice from his windshield with that flimsy plastic thing. When his rage bubbles forth, it is OF COURSE when no one else is around. The ongoing repressed desperation of this not so bright guy is simply one of the best portrayals in moviedom.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
I can't say William Macy stole this film.

It all depends on how you define "stealing." Macy gave IMO the best and most defining performance in the film, and I'm including McDormand's great, iconic Oscarwinning lead performance. Macy's Jerry was comparable to Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman, a truly tragic character. The fact that he lost the supporting Oscar to Cuba Gooding is one of the all-time travesties.

As for Fargo losing Best Picture to The English Patient, that is the all-time travesty, even trumping High Noon's loss to The Greatest Show on Earth and the non-nomination of The African Queen.
mirgun
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I love seeing Macy's desperation when he's refused or screwed over by his father in-law..it's such a typical reaction in all of us. But I never got why he (Macy) ) needs all that money. He's so inept in life, the crime..everything..great portrayal of a desperate man for sure.. I'd say that Macy and McDormand go head to head in their performances

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
mirgun wrote:
Yeah, I love seeing Macy's desperation when he's refused or screwed over by his father in-law..it's such a typical reaction in all of us. But I never got why he (Macy) ) needs all that money. He's so inept in life, the crime..everything..great portrayal of a desperate man for sure.. I'd say that Macy and McDormand go head to head in their performances
Harve Presnel as the father in law is perhaps my favorite performance in the film. Perhaps when we complete BS, we should head out to Fargo. Anyone else think, oh yah, you betcha?

Will try to rewatch BS tomorrow - I own it - in order to comment wisely on it.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
I just thought of something about the Coens. They have set their films in a number of American locations, using their landscape and atmosphere brilliantly and most definitely showing these parts of American culture in comical send ups, tragic cruelty, screwball rationale etc. etc., or all of these in one. So far they have not even come close to touching on that giant melting pot, New York City, where they live and have lived for some time. I see a great movie taking place in NYC in their future. I'd bet that they have been working on a screen play for this movie for years.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
mirgun
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
I lost my copy of BS from Netfix, ordered another one..after reading Marc's fab partial review, I can't wait to see it again..
I'm driving people at work nuts with my Fargo-lingo!

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
I just thought of something about the Coens. They have set their films in a number of American locations, using their landscape and atmosphere brilliantly and most definitely showing these parts of American culture in comical send ups, tragic cruelty, screwball rationale etc. etc., or all of these in one. So far they have not even come close to touching on that giant melting pot, New York City, where they live and have lived for some time. I see a great movie taking place in NYC in their future. I'd bet that they have been working on a screen play for this movie for years.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
Going to Sitka with their next film, from what I read.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
Good. Maybe after Juneau they will work their way SE to Winnipeg and then ESE to New York. Very Happy
marantzo
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!
Going to Sitka with their next film, from what I read.

Oh, you changed it. Where in the hell is Sitka?