Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Coen Brothers: A Specialty Forum

whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
So I should have gone for brevity?

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to, I just finished reading it. I really have to see the movie again. When I watch a movie for the first and it hooks me I just watch it and let it wash over me so to speak. When I am not hooked, but annoyed, no washing is possible, just analysis of all the lousy things about it (and the question, "should I walk out now or give it a few more minutes of reprieve"). When I re-watch I movie that I've really been drawn into, that's when I start seeing more of the details, construction wise, character wise, analogy wise...well you get the picture.

I have to see the movie again.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The second portion is taking me longer than I thought, so probably tomorrow.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Whiskey,

the review is terrific. Looking forward to more.

Mirgun and I watched The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona last night. She hadn't seen either one before. She was blown away.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I need to rewatch Raising Arizona. I didn't like it much when I first saw it - twenty some odd years ago - but I've noticed that I enjoy Coen comedies more on repeat viewings.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I was going through the films in order, but I've managed to pick up The Hudsucker Proxy before Barton Fink. It looks like the Coen Brothers saw How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying one time too many.

Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe that I'd never seen Raising Arizona and The Big Lebowski before.. As Marc said, I WAS blown away and enjoyed both sooo much. I went into a laughing fit watching The Big Lebowski, I just couldn't stop.!! I just got in from my trip so I'll have to comment tomorrow. Good night for now.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Re: The Hudsucker Proxy. The film is messy as hell and I can see why a lot of people don't like it. I don't think it's really successful, but I liked a lot of it, and I laughed quite a bit. For instance, when Amy Archer (Jennifer Jason Leigh doing a "His Girl Friday" imitation) is spouting off answers to a crossword puzzle, all of which are ludicrously wrong. The room full of giant gears which turns out to be the clockwork that runs the gigantic clock in front of the Hudsucker Building. The pneumatic tubes. The boardroom and offices. The Blue Letter (eeeek!). The importance of double stitching...

Very nice set design. The Coens were trying too hard to be quirky. It would be fun to figure out how many films they were referencing. In addition to His Girl Friday and The Front Page, I was counting Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Meet John Doe, How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying, Mary Poppins, The Man in the White Suit, The Apartment and It's a Wonderful Life.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
You can hear my voice in Hudsucker as one of the annoying voices screaming at Tim Robbins as he is introduced to the company. My line is something like "Take it up to the fourth floor" or something.
Syd
Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
You can hear my voice in Hudsucker as one of the annoying voices screaming at Tim Robbins as he is introduced to the company. My line is something like "Take it up to the fourth floor" or something.

You did help by lowering my expectations. The idea of the movie is better than the execution.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
I didn't like No Country. Might re-watch it.

It struck me that Llewelyn Moss has a lot in common with Ray from Blood Simple. Both willingly but accidentally get themselves caught up in something they don't understand, have no idea who is stalking them, think they can handle themselves, which turns out to be a fatal mistake.

I'd have to re-watch to make more connections (both kind of macho laconic types, without a lot of reflection?).
But it seems that Moss is just a permutation of Ray.
Is No Country just a bleaker re-telling of Blood Simple, with money replacing a girl as the catalyst, and husband Marty being swapped out for a sheriff?

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
I liked No Country but am rather miffed that it's the Coen Brothers movie that won Best Picture. That shoulda been Fargo. No Country is far from the brothers' best.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Is No Country just a bleaker re-telling of Blood Simple, with money replacing a girl as the catalyst, and husband Marty being swapped out for a sheriff?
No. For one thing, the comparison only works at all - and then only as to Ray/Llewelyn's character - if your focus is on the chase, but in reality that chase is an elaborate Maguffin, and is treated as such by the Coens at the end. And... Bell and Marty? Seriously? I don't see that at all.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
[quote="whiskeypriest"]
gromit wrote:

And... Bell and Marty? Seriously? I don't see that at all.

Just in general form, a third party who changes the dynamic from a one-on-one matchup into a triangle of sorts.

But I was more interested in the Moss/Ray comparison which struck me as pretty similar. Thoughts on that?

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="gromit"]
whiskeypriest wrote:
gromit wrote:

And... Bell and Marty? Seriously? I don't see that at all.

Just in general form, a third party who changes the dynamic from a one-on-one matchup into a triangle of sorts.

But I was more interested in the Moss/Ray comparison which struck me as pretty similar. Thoughts on that?
Both are taciturn; they don't talk much, I'll give them points for that. But they are not really that similar. Llewelyn is an active agent in his fate, Ray is more reactive. Moss does certain things because he thinks he can, Ray because he feels he has to. Moss believes he can take on all comers - he's real cocky about his ability to pull off his plans. Ray is forced into doing things because he believes he is covering for the woman he loves - and because he lacks the confidence and the experience he does them very badly. It's worth noting that Chigurh never gets the best of Moss. In part that's because Moss is so focused on Chigurh he never sees what's coming, but in part it is also because he is good enough to take care of himself, to a point.

So, no, except for the silent part, not really all that similar.