<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Movie Trivia

lady wakasa
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
whiskeypriest wrote:
2 is Hard Day's Night.

Oui, oui, monsieur.

Syd wrote:
#1 is one of the big vampire movies, either Nosferatu or Dracula. I'll pick the silent Nosferatu because I think I read it rather than heard it.

It could've been Shadow of the Vampire - but no, you're correct.

lady wakasa
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
Okay, since I can't spend too much time checking this, here we go...

1 - Is this your wife? What a lovely throat. (Nosferatu, 1922)
2 - She looks more like him than I do. (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)
3 - You fool! Damn you! You call yourself a horse! For shame! Hey! Wait! Please! I apologize! Forgive me! (Seven Samurai, 1954)
4 - Fuck! It's alive! (White, 1994)
5 - Everybody says that. (No Country for Old Men, 2007)
6 - The first marriage is practice for the next one (Persepolis, 2007)
7 - Don't ask me that, ma'am. I'm so afraid of electricity! (Mon Oncle, 1958)
8 - I've been going around, meeting my new neighbors. I think that it is important to know one's neighbors. To say "hello!" to them. (Inland Empire, 2006)
9 - Highly sexed young men living on farms are always called Seth or Reuben. (Cold Comfort Farm, 1995)
10 - You know, if I like a man, I remember him. And if I don't like him, I never forget him. In a nutshell, madame, it is little things like that that drive me crazy! (Trouble in Paradise, 1932)

jeremy
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Jynx's excellent anagrams seem to have fallen by the wayside. I thought they'd be so much grist to Tire and Whiskey's linguistic mill, but they must have been harder than they at first seemed. Ah well. In which case, I'll proffer the following cinematic teaser. SUch is its size, you may want to take it away and solve it in your own good time or, for those who prefer to do it at work, in somebody else's good time.

On the surface, the following piece of text appears to be a by-the-numbers musing on the capital of the entertianment world Los Angleles, but hidden within it are the titles of 112 American films. They are not scrambled or backwards or aligned vertically or diagonally or whatever, they are just wriiten as Plain as can be in front of you. To get you started, I've underlined the first one. Oh by the way, it's not my work.

Welcome to L.A. This above all is a place stranger than paradise. Being there, with Sunset Boulevard around the Corner, one cannot help but run the gauntlet of emotions from intolerance to suspicion and fury. It's a wonderful life, to live and die in L.A., but I confess to feeling that I am an alien amongst aliens in an alien nation. It is angel city but I'm no angel.

From sunrise to sunset the blue skies shelter people carefree, rich and famous, or at least rich and strange; they shelter scenes of notorious wealth and power, interiors and estates where even the gardeners wear livery. But the awful truth is that there is a different story, for the sun also rises on ordinary people, on the misfits scarred by poverty; on loveless, violent streets and on the men and the women who find themselves cornered like the rats they are treated as. They are the outsiders, missing out on the real glory.

Call me indiscreet, but I wake up screaming and breathless when I think of how this deranged bedlam teeters on the edge of sanity: pet parfumeries, bra museums, outdoor air-conditioning, a wedding for dogs, all done without a trace of irony, by the beautiful people of this over the top heaven.

When the adventurers of the past, the gold diggers, first decided to go west to the promised land, the general idea was to find the motherlode. Things change: the descendants of these explorers still share this frantic greed, but it has turned into an indecent obsession with the mirage of fame. They are given over to it hearts and mind, body and soul, flesh and blood. Los Angeles is not of this earth; it's a boom town for dreams that money can buy. Everyone believes with the burning frenzy of the moonstruck that they too can make a splash and become a giant legend, if only fortune deigns to smile. The conversation you pick up from the starstruck lounge lizard and the beguiled barfly always revolves around hitting the big time or the struggle of keeping up the desperate mask of pretence that they have already jumped on the bandwagon of easy money and easy living. Family life, security, every normal impulse is sacrificed one by one in this ruthless quest for miracles.

It's not a safe place; the crazies and ruthless people who run it show no mercy, they hire and fire with caprice and in cold blood. They hold nothing sacred but the sweet smell of success. The verdict of future generations will probably be harsh. I could go on singing the dispraises of Los Angeles for ever, but I'm on dangerous ground because, bananas as it may sound, I love this magic town.

I forget who first exposed the natural truth that if you look hard enough beneath the surface tinsel of Hollywood you find... more tinsel, but he overlooked the city's saving grace. In the end, the real genius of Hollywood is that the tinsel is perfect tinsel. The producers at work in the glitter dome may only turn out trash, but it's model trash. They have already turned alchemy inside out and discovered the formula for the most important of secrets: taking real gold, dull and useless as it is, and transforming it into the shining dross that millions like us need: the stuff of dreams.

I suggest this is done as a background task and I'll publish the answers in about a week, unless someone wants me to PM them sooner.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
lady wakasa
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I suggest this is done as a background task and I'll publish the answers in about a week, unless someone wants me to PM them sooner.

Do any overlap?

jeremy
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
No

Syd
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I'll start it off. (Is "Angel City" a movie?)

Welcome to L.A. This above all is a place stranger than paradise. Being there, with Sunset Boulevard around the Corner, one cannot help but run the gauntlet of emotions from intolerance to suspicion and fury. It's a wonderful life, to live and die in L.A., but I confess to feeling that I am an alien amongst aliens in an alien nation. It is angel city but I'm no angel.

From [b]sunrise[/b] to sunset the blue skies shelter people carefree, rich and famous, or at least rich and strange; they shelter scenes of notorious wealth and power, interiors and estates where even the gardeners wear livery. But the awful truth is that there is a different story, for the sun also rises on ordinary people, on the misfits scarred by poverty; on loveless, violent streets and on the men and the women who find themselves cornered like the rats they are treated as. They are the outsiders, missing out on the real glory.

Call me indiscreet, but I wake up screaming and breathless when I think of how this deranged bedlam teeters on the edge of sanity: pet parfumeries, bra museums, outdoor air-conditioning, a wedding for dogs, all done without a trace of irony, by the beautiful people of this over the top heaven.

When the adventurers of the past, the gold diggers, first decided to go west to the promised land, the general idea was to find the motherlode. Things change: the descendants of these explorers still share this frantic greed, but it has turned into an indecent obsession with the mirage of fame. They are given over to it hearts and mind, body and soul, flesh and blood. Los Angeles is not of this earth; it's a boom town for dreams that money can buy. Everyone believes with the burning frenzy of the moonstruck that they too can make a splash and become a giant legend, if only fortune deigns to smile. The conversation you pick up from the starstruck lounge lizard and the beguiled barfly always revolves around hitting the big time or the struggle of keeping up the desperate mask of pretence that they have already jumped on the bandwagon of easy money and easy living. Family life, security, every normal impulse is sacrificed one by one in this ruthless quest for miracles.

It's not a safe place; the crazies and ruthless people who run it show no mercy, they hire and fire with caprice and in cold blood. They hold nothing sacred but the sweet smell of success. The verdict of future generations will probably be harsh. I could go on singing the dispraises of Los Angeles for ever, but I'm on dangerous ground because, bananas as it may sound, I love this magic town.

I forget who first exposed the natural truth that if you look hard enough beneath the surface tinsel of Hollywood you find... more tinsel, but he overlooked the city's saving grace. In the end, the real genius of Hollywood is that the tinsel is perfect tinsel. The producers at work in the glitter dome may only turn out trash, but it's model trash. They have already turned alchemy inside out and discovered the formula for the most important of secrets: taking real gold, dull and useless as it is, and transforming it into the shining dross that millions like us need: the stuff of dreams.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good Syd. Just one missed from the first paragraph.

For your information, this quiz was devised by Stephen Fry, probably to pass the time on a short train journey. Don't you just hate him.

Marj
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I Love Stephen Fry.

Here's a quick read. I know I've left a lot out. I'll go back to working on it more later. Only three paragraphs:

Call me indiscreet, but I wake up screaming and breathless when I think of how this deranged bedlam teeters on the edge of sanity: pet parfumeries, bra museums, outdoor air-conditioning, a wedding for dogs, all done without a trace of irony, by the beautiful people of this over the top - heaven.

When the adventurers of the past, the gold diggers, first decided to go west to the promised land, the general idea was to find the mother lode. Things change: the descendants of these explorers still share this frantic - greed, but it has turned into an indecent obsession with the mirage of fame. They are given over to it hearts and mind, body and soul, flesh and blood. Los Angeles is not of this earth; it's a boom town for dreams that money can buy. Everyone believes with the burning frenzy of the moonstruck that they too can make a splash and become a giant legend, if only fortune deigns to smile. The conversation you pick up from the star struck lounge lizard and the beguiled barfly always revolves around hitting the big time or the struggle of keeping up the desperate mask of pretence that they have already jumped on the bandwagon of easy money and easy living. Family life, security, every normal impulse is sacrificed one by one in this ruthless quest for miracles.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Marj--You have email.
Syd
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I Love Stephen Fry.

Here's a quick read. I know I've left a lot out. I'll go back to working on it more later. Only three paragraphs:

Call me indiscreet, but I wake up screaming and breathless when I think of how this deranged bedlam teeters on the edge of sanity: pet parfumeries, bra museums, outdoor air-conditioning, a wedding for dogs, all done without a trace of irony, by the beautiful people of this over the top - heaven.

When the adventurers of the past, the gold diggers, first decided to go west to the promised land, the general idea was to find the mother lode. Things change: the descendants of these explorers still share this frantic - greed, but it has turned into an indecent obsession with the mirage of fame. They are given over to it hearts and mind, body and soul, flesh and blood. Los Angeles is not of this earth; it's a boom town for dreams that money can buy. Everyone believes with the burning frenzy of the moonstruck that they too can make a splash and become a giant legend, if only fortune deigns to smile. The conversation you pick up from the star struck lounge lizard and the beguiled barfly always revolves around hitting the big time or the struggle of keeping up the desperate mask of pretence that they have already jumped on the bandwagon of easy money and easy living. Family life, security, every normal impulse is sacrificed one by one in this ruthless quest for miracles.

I added a few in scarlet.

Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Barfly! I knew I missed that one.

I'll try to add more later or tomorrow. And Btw, I just was posting in the Lobby and used the expression: Is it just we three? Obviously you know what my mind's been on.

Thanks Billy.
Nancy
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Continuing Syd's post:

From [b]sunrise[/b] to sunset the blue skies shelter people carefree, rich and famous, or at least rich and strange; they shelter scenes of notorious wealth and power, interiors and estates where even the gardeners wear livery. But the awful truth is that there is a different story, for the sun also rises on ordinary people, on the misfits scarred by poverty; on loveless, violent streets and on the men and the women who find themselves cornered like the rats they are treated as. They are the outsiders, missing out on the real glory.

Isaacism, 2009
Syd
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Continuing Syd's post:

I actually saw Power. It's a political corruption movie with Richard Gere and Julie Christie. Denzel Washington, of all people, is a bad guy in the movie. Not a good movie, though.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Continuing Syd's some more:

From sunrise to sunset the blue skies shelter people carefree, rich and famous, or at least rich and strange; they shelter scenes of notorious wealth and power, interiors and estates where even the gardeners wear livery. But the awful truth is that there is a different story, for the sun also rises on ordinary people, on the misfits scarred by poverty; on loveless, violent streets and on the men and the women who find themselves cornered like the rats they are treated as. They are the outsiders, missing out on the real glory.
Marj
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
I missed scarred which Nancy got.