Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Best Films of the Decade - 2000 to 2009

Syd
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
The Kaufman I really like is Adaptation, though Eternal Sunshine looks like a movie that will grow on me as time goes by.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Love Eternal Sunshine, and really don't understand others not feeling the same. Could not get through Adaptation.

-Topher
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Joe Vitus wrote:
Love Eternal Sunshine, and really don't understand others not feeling the same.
I guess I can, but I'm still waiting for billy to give us his views on ESotSM in the proper forum.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Eternal Sunshine is easily one of my favorite films, let alone Films of the Decade, even if its success owes as much to Michel Gondry as Mr. Kaufman, seems to me. Am perversely fond of Adaptation, though its last quarter-hour spins out of control by design. The final credit card still cracks me up.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with two of your choices (Sideways, Mulholland) and either like or love five of the others. But Almost Famous does zilch for me, Ratatouille strikes me as very overrated (I way prefer Finding Nemo to all other recent Disney movies), Kill Bill is pure style which is okay as such but nothing more, and only the final Bourne movie makes me thrill.

Love The Departed, Iron Man, and Inglourious Basterds. Like Adaptation.

Hey, we share a love/like for half the list.

My reason for picking Ratatouille over the other Disney/Pixar films (I've liked almost all of them, with the exception of Cars, which I own, but have yet to watch more than 5 min segments), is how the story is told. There is something that touches me different than any other Disney/Pixar film that was released during the decade. Finding Nemo is very well cast, has the wonderful Albert Brooks and is a great story. But it was the mix of real vs. underground worlds that made this film tops. The many moments of on screen character building, leading up to the food critic reflecting back in time, was the key element to this movie.

Finding Nemo made me laugh and enjoy myself. Ratatouille took it a level deeper.

We've posted before on our Almost Famous differences.

chillywilly
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
P.S. The previous Kaufman epic I loathed was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, just so you know where I'm coming from. In retrospect, the horrible Quantum of Solace was at least less pretentious.

I never saw Quantum of Solace, but preferred Adaptation over Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Perhaps it was the way the story played out. I liked ESofSM, but it left me more confused than satisfied.

chillywilly
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Eternal Sunshine is easily one of my favorite films, let alone Films of the Decade, even if its success owes as much to Michel Gondry as Mr. Kaufman, seems to me. Am perversely fond of Adaptation, though its last quarter-hour spins out of control by design. The final credit card still cracks me up.

I guess some out of control designs are more favorable to others. But we will always have the final credit card, Inla.

whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Roger Ebert's most recent entry in his Great Movie series: part of Ebert's recent desperate attempt to piss away the last shred of respect billyweeds ever had for him.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/REVIEWS08/100109999

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Roger Ebert's most recent entry in his Great Movie series: part of Ebert's recent desperate attempt to piss away the last shred of respect billyweeds ever had for him.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/REVIEWS08/100109999

He makes a pretty good case for it, too.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Syd -- I can't tell by your response what you meant to say. I, for one, really enjoyed reading Ebert's thoughts and if it weren't for these screeners I need to return, would probably pop ESotSM in and watch it tonight.
Syd
Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
Syd -- I can't tell by your response what you meant to say. I, for one, really enjoyed reading Ebert's thoughts and if it weren't for these screeners I need to return, would probably pop ESotSM in and watch it tonight.

I meant Ebert makes a good case for it being a great movie.

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:

I guess some out of control designs are more favorable to others. But we will always have the final credit card, Inla.
Exactly. That final spin-out, schematically speaking, seems precisely right, given the narrative's larger objective -- it's just inevitably less tickling in its post-Pirandello absurdity.
Poor dear Donald K. (tongue-in-cheek sob)

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
Exactly. That final spin-out, schematically speaking, seems precisely right, given the narrative's larger objective -- it's just inevitably less tickling in its post-Pirandello absurdity.
Poor dear Donald K. (tongue-in-cheek sob)

True. Not even an real Oscar nod could help.

Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
I have not really enjoyed any of Charlie Kaufman's work. Contrived, over-reaching and mental masturbation.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 am Reply with quote
Speaking of masturbation, was glad to see @ least one of us add Y Tu Mama Tambien (too lazy to look up acenteque's and whatnot) on their best of Decade List. Thanks, Ghulam.

Did anyone else put Children of Men in theirs? That is a film that stays. . . .

I would also have to absolutely include Babel. This is why I can NOT make lists. Le Temps qui Reste, Mulholland Drive, In the Mood for Love, The Hours, Far From Heaven, Elephant, Punch-Drunk Love, Closer, Brokeback Mountain, so many, many more.