Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Best Films of the Decade - 2000 to 2009

Syd
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
To tell the truth, there aren't any films on his list and also-rans that I really disliked, though there are a half-dozen I haven't seen, including #1 and #2. Nancy really hated #5. "Me and You and Everyone We Know" (2005), but I liked it well enough once I had a chance to watch it without comments from the peanut gallery and saw how carefully it was put together. But I didn't like it enough to put it anywhere near my top ten for the decade.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Ebert's #1 might just be my least favorite film of the decade, though to be fair I haven't seen the whole thing...and never will, because I know how it ends and will be damned if I will sit through one more minute of more of the same swill to get there. I truly, honestly, completely loathe what I have seen of this movie. It's not only bad drama and pretentious filmmaking, it's philosophically and humanly detestable.

I wasn't surprised to note that Manohla Dargis adored it, but this move by Ebert has me scratching out dandruff that I didn't even know was there.
marantzo
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list. I didn't see Synecdoche (sp?) because one of our local critics said that it was torture sitting through it. Then Billy, from 1800 miles away weighed in with the same thing he experienced. That was enough for me.

I loved Me and You and Everyone We Know. #10 of course, is also a favourite of mine. I think Gromit has it on his best of list.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
Interesting list. I didn't see Synecdoche (sp?) because one of our local critics said that it was torture sitting through it. Then Billy, from 1800 miles away weighed in with the same thing he experienced. That was enough for me.

I loved Me and You and Everyone We Know. #10 of course, is also a favourite of mine. I think Gromit has it on his best of list.
I think Synecdoche, New York is the most interesting failure of the decade. Glad I saw it; no need to ever see it again.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:

I think Synecdoche, New York is the most interesting failure of the decade. Glad I saw it; no need to ever see it again.

What you said (to what marantzo said to what billyweeds said).
A fascinating but inconclusive experiment in iconoclastic effluvium and unbridled Kaufmania.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
marantzo wrote:

Nancy's problem was mostly that the main character drove her nuts and she wanted to strangle her. I didn't feel quite that strongly, but I didn't like her style of art. I had problems like that with Rent when Maureen does her performance, or when the guy who's been filming during the movie shows his footage and it's garbage.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:01 am Reply with quote
I don't even remember her art so it didn't make much of an impression I guess. I may even have liked it. If you tell me what kind it was I'm sure I'll remember. Her character was certainly of the difficult variety, but that made for a very interesting relationship with the shoe salesman and her development. The last scene was perfect in a very strange and touching way.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:

What you said (to what marantzo said to what billyweeds said).
A fascinating but inconclusive experiment in iconoclastic effluvium and unbridled Kaufmania.
I recommend everyone try to watch it, provided you are prepared to turn it off 10 minutes in and return it immediately without qualms about the money or time spent, because there is a real chance you'll do that. There's always the chance you might love it. But I am pretty much over the moon for Kaufman and I found it over reaching and occasionally verging on incoherent. As I've said before, a strong directoral hand, not wedded to the material, might have honed the film into something pretty good.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
My top 10 of the decade, in alphabetical order:

- Adaptation
- Almost Famous
- The Bourne Series (all 3 movies)
- The Departed
- Inglorious Basterds
- Iron Man
- Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
- Mulholland Dr.
- Ratatouille
- Sideways

I will go into more details later, but wanted to get my list out here.

whiskeypriest
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Ebert's #1 might just be my least favorite film of the decade, though to be fair I haven't seen the whole thing...and never will, because I know how it ends and will be damned if I will sit through one more minute of more of the same swill to get there. I truly, honestly, completely loathe what I have seen of this movie. It's not only bad drama and pretentious filmmaking, it's philosophically and humanly detestable.

I wasn't surprised to note that Manohla Dargis adored it, but this move by Ebert has me scratching out dandruff that I didn't even know was there.
Hated it, did you? Too bad we don't have a forum where you could discuss your reasoning, in detail....

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Third Eye Film Society: FILMS I HATE

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
My top 10 of the decade, in alphabetical order:

- Adaptation
- Almost Famous
- The Bourne Series (all 3 movies)
- The Departed
- Inglorious Basterds
- Iron Man
- Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
- Mulholland Dr.
- Ratatouille
- Sideways

I will go into more details later, but wanted to get my list out here.

I agree wholeheartedly with two of your choices (Sideways, Mulholland) and either like or love five of the others. But Almost Famous does zilch for me, Ratatouille strikes me as very overrated (I way prefer Finding Nemo to all other recent Disney movies), Kill Bill is pure style which is okay as such but nothing more, and only the final Bourne movie makes me thrill.

Love The Departed, Iron Man, and Inglourious Basterds. Like Adaptation.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I way prefer Finding Nemo to all other recent Disney movies

Me, too.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I got it. To go into detail about the depth of my loathing for Synecdoche, New York, would mean I'd have to see it again, and the whole movie, and I can't do it. Suffice to say it left me a combination of depressed and angry not only at Kaufman but at practically the entire cast. It's probably Exhibit A in why I've more or less dubbed PSH the new Robin Williams.
billyweeds
Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
This was my original mini-review from last March:

"Tried to watch Synecdoche, New York, but this Charlie Kaufman epic finds realms of pretentiousness that have seldom been explored. It's truly a horrendous experience. Kaufman (whose work, truth to tell, I have never loved and sometimes loathed) creates a depressing vision which never is interesting enough to transcend the grimness. Regional theater director Philip Seymour Hoffman comes up with an idea to recreate his own life and hires actors to play himself and others in his life. This leads to mucho navel-gazing. It's torturous--well, at least the first hour of it is, which is all I could stand without throwing things at the television screen. In all, my least favorite film of 2008. Well, maybe not as bad as Quantum of Solace, but everything else. Oof!

"Oh, as if to confirm things, Manohla Dargis adored it. I should have known."

P.S. The previous Kaufman epic I loathed was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, just so you know where I'm coming from. In retrospect, the horrible Quantum of Solace was at least less pretentious.