Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  FILMS I HATE

marantzo
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes, I hated Bridesmaids. And it wasn't because of high expectations, which I had (thank you forum members), but because it was ultra gross humour?, involving the most obnoxious women one could image. Farts, puking, shitting in sinks and in the street...a laugh riot to be sure, if you are a 10 year old moron. Or all the women in the theatre that I saw it in. Even when growing up I noticed that girls like gross humour more than the boys. More than I anyway. Am I the freak here?
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
The World of Henry Orient

I post this with the simple question: was this film ever bearable to watch for any but intense "Eloise" devotees? I don't want to recount the grim circumstances that led to my watching over an hour of this leviathan of pubescent cutesyness and every excruciating form of 60's cinematic cornballery (including the dreaded fast-motion chase, and the equally dreaded funny Chinese coolie hats), but I can tell you that watching a duo of precocious 14-year old schoolgirls lust for, and pester an avant-garde musician (Peter Sellers) while he is trying to get Paula Prentiss in bed with him is....well, more painful than it sounds.
If you made it, say, ten minutes into that you have a stronger stomach than I do.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
Ah, yes, I hated Bridesmaids. And it wasn't because of high expectations, which I had (thank you forum members), but because it was ultra gross humour?, involving the most obnoxious women one could image. Farts, puking, shitting in sinks and in the street...a laugh riot to be sure, if you are a 10 year old moron. Or all the women in the theatre that I saw it in. Even when growing up I noticed that girls like gross humour more than the boys. More than I anyway. Am I the freak here?
This just in: billyweeds has been seen boarding an airplane for Winnipeg carrying a large sock with manure in it.

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
The World of Henry Orient

I post this with the simple question: was this film ever bearable to watch for any but intense "Eloise" devotees? I don't want to recount the grim circumstances that led to my watching over an hour of this leviathan of pubescent cutesyness and every excruciating form of 60's cinematic cornballery (including the dreaded fast-motion chase, and the equally dreaded funny Chinese coolie hats), but I can tell you that watching a duo of precocious 14-year old schoolgirls lust for, and pester an avant-garde musician (Peter Sellers) while he is trying to get Paula Prentiss in bed with him is....well, more painful than it sounds.

I have the distinct feeling that I would agree if I saw this movie again. I loved it on release, but your description is 100 percent accurate, and makes me puke in 2011.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
marantzo wrote:
This just in: billyweeds has been seen boarding an airplane for Winnipeg carrying a large sock with manure in it.

Busted!

Seriously, Bridesmaids is still my #1 movie of 2011.
grace
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
No love for The World of Henry Orient? Really? Actually, I understand the hate, especially among those who possess the Y chromosome.

I am rather fond of TWoHO, but mostly because my mother absolutely loves it -- hey, I had to get the bad taste gene from somewhere - and when it used to come on the 4:30 movie, we'd watch it together. She, by choice; and me, because I was a kid. So my affection for the flick is based more on sentiment than any kind of quality.

At the risk of getting madupontian, I know a grad or two of The Brearley School (the school where the girls meet is based on Brearley, where Nora Johnson went), and some people really do breathe that rarefied air - so the film might in some ways be less artificial than it seems. Factor in the non-mainstreamness of the characters and story, plus the fact that it aged poorly, and yeah, you have a bad movie (that I watch every time I come across.....).
bartist
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
You are right: I possess the "WHY?" chromosome. But can see the mom and daughter bonding thing.

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Chattahoochee (1989)

Gary Oldman, Frances McDormand, M. Emmet Walsh, Dennis Hopper....what a cast! (you think, as you examine the box in the video store) Then, as you pop it in, on the screen appears "based on a true story" and you get a queasy feeling. Which is justified, because nothing kills good writing and plotting quite as much as "based on a true story." I guess this fits the thread scheme, which is films that could have been great. This is a film which, if pure fiction, might have risen to be another Cuckoo's Nest (it's about a Korean war vet who ends up in a snake pit of a mental hospital and fights the PTB -- no surprises here), but instead plunges down into TV-Movie dreck. Please watch this movie and then come back and say venomous things about it, so I won't suffer alone.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
How could I have forgotten this film that I hated. Death Proof.

There was one thing I liked about it, that it was the second film in this double bill because if it were the first I would have taken a powder and missed Terror Planet which I really liked. As it is, Tarantino's performance in TP is so bad that it's laughable, but a genuine omen of how bad his contribution to this twosome was going to be. DP starts out with a bunch of stupid women [girls actually], (who just want to have fun). They settle in a bar and talk and talk and talk some more. The talk is so long, boring and just plain stupid that I wanted to throw something at the screen. Then they move out to the porch and I start to think that it might pick up. It doesn't. I stayed till the stuntman took one of these bimbos on a ride till he killed her with a car crash. I was happy to see her go. The second part started out will another group of women. I was not going to subject myself to more of this torture after hearing them start to talk, and I split. (I heard later that the second part was better) I finished a movie at a multiplex about a month later and went into the theatre that was showing DP at the time. I figured it would be close to the second part. I came in when it was just before they moved to the tables outside. I really tried to stick with it but it was no use. I had to leave. I HATED IT!! and at it seemed to go on forever. Never saw the second part.

Tarantino has a tendency to write long drawn out bullshit. He ruined Kill Bill II with that in house in the last part of the movie.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Gary and I are so on the same page about Death Proof that it's scary. Sydney Poitier (daughter of the similarly-spelled, more-talented Oscar winner) is the worst offender of the boring, annoying, tomato-throw-provoking girls on hand, but they're all grating, and then the stunt lady-turned-lousy actress takes over and rides on the outside of cars, which starts out fun and quickly gets monotonous. Kurt Russell is a talented guy but he can't turn sour milk into creme fraiche. Tarantino is indeed self-indulgent when uninspired, and this turkey is Exhibit #1.
Marc
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Death Proof is indeed wretched and confirms my feeling that Tarantino, no matter how hard he tries, really is not all that cool. Once a geek, always a geek.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first half.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Knox, "Chattahoochee" is an amazing assemblage of talent for a mediocre script.

Never seen or heard of Death Proof.

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
Bart, it was the second movie in the double bill of Grindhouse. The first was Planet Terror by Robert Rodriquez and that one was good.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I liked the first half.

Do you mean Planet Terror or the first half of Death Proof?