Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  FILMS I HATE

marantzo
Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
In my comment on TTTW I was going to ask, has Bana ever been worse? Of course he hasn't by a long shot. In a lot of cases you can blame the director for the performance of an actor or actress. That may apply.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
I think there's a joke in that movie, something about Eric Bana disintegrating right before your eyes.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, another Ken Russell classic. The Boy Friend. Mind-bogglingly BAD. Watched it with my ex when we lived in NY. I would have left in the first 20 minutes if it weren't for Tommy Tune who was a pleasure to watch. Garishly coloured and characters who were like gross marionettes, but more wooden. Then came a scene with the performers taking turns with short screen filled extreme facial closeups mouthing loud somethingorothers. Just tragically stupid. I turned to my then wife and asked, "Do you want to go?" She answered, "YES!"

We left.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Of course Inception fills the bill here for me big time. But I've commented enough elsewhere. Did I say I hate Inception?
marantzo
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
How far were you into Inception before you left?

Just read about Ken Russell on wikipedia. I like Russell much more than his movies, though there are many that I haven't see.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
How far were you into Inception before you left?

Around 45 minutes. Believe me, I knew there was no hope.
Marc
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:48 am Reply with quote
I left after 30 minutes into Inception. I hate it when films think they're smarter than I am but aren't.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Of course you can't take Inception's mumbo jumbo seriously. My reaction was, "Oh yeah, sure. Let's see what happens." I was not really entertained by the first part of the film, but my popcorn was good and I didn't have anything else to do. I enjoyed the last half in a James Bond sort of way. Lots of good visuals, and I still maintain that Gordon-Levitt's sequence when he is in the hotel and trying to escape being killed, was excellent and easily the best thing in the movie. I thought DeCaprio's performance was as flat as a pancake.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I walked out of Inception before I even got there.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
And you hated it, right?
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
marantzo wrote:
And you hated it, right?
It was awful in everything from conception to execution, poorly acted, porrly directed, shoddily written. A concept that never makes it as a movie. And I could not be any surer of this opinion if I had actually seen it.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Inception was less than the sum of its parts.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
knox
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like Joe-gord in the movie (what Marantz said). And the photography/art was pretty engaging, even if it's Kubrickian austerity was not that suitable to the story. I don't think of it as hate-worthy, though maybe if I hadn't seen it, I would have turned against it like Mr. Priest.

I do hate Weekend at Bernie's, which I have never seen. Though the spoof of WAB they did a few years ago on NCIS was pretty funny. The main reason I watched NCIS for a couple seasons was that Tony is a film freak.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
This week on NCIS they trapped a young suspect in a lie when they referred to a movie he supposedly saw.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
The World of Henry Orient

I post this with the simple question: was this film ever bearable to watch for any but intense "Eloise" devotees? I don't want to recount the grim circumstances that led to my watching over an hour of this leviathan of pubescent cutesyness and every excruciating form of 60's cinematic cornballery (including the dreaded fast-motion chase, and the equally dreaded funny Chinese coolie hats), but I can tell you that watching a duo of precocious 14-year old schoolgirls lust for, and pester an avant-garde musician (Peter Sellers) while he is trying to get Paula Prentiss in bed with him is....well, more painful than it sounds.