Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

gromit
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:32 am Reply with quote
I rarely drink in China. I'm also pretty much vegan in Shanghai. Not really decisions, but more habit and what fits my lifestyle. But on Euro-vacations, I have some alcohol and eat cheese to make things easier.

The small square in front of our hotel in Logrono, Spain was jammed packed with revelers. It was kind of comic wheeling your luggage thru a sea of partiers. The Logrono celebration was too loud and crowded and drunken for me. The next day we stayed in a castle in Laguardia, and went to a small hill town nearby. For €10 you received a glass and 5 drink coupons good for any of perhaps 50+ wines offered throughout the village. That was the one day I drank.

Our next trip, hopefully circa May Day will probably be to Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan. If anyone recalls MoFlix here, she'd been out that Central Asia way. And our trip after that, tentatively for next October, should be Moldova (an intensely wine involved nation) and western Ukraine. Possibly entering from Bucharest and exciting via Warsaw. We are fairly adventurous travelers.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
...and western Ukraine. Possibly entering from Bucharest and exciting via Warsaw. We are fairly adventurous travelers.

I hear eastern Ukraine is fairly adventurous.

Well, wherever you go there, remember "duck and cover."

I expect Ukraine would greatly welcome tourist dollars.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Tonight is Krampusnacht, so I hope you've been good.

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:06 pm Reply with quote
The krampus was pretty quiet here.

RIP Ryan ONeal, who definitely competed with Joan Crawford for the Worst Parent in Showbiz title. I liked his stint as Tempe's father on Bones. He seemed to draw from his own personal life when showing Brennan's father reflecting painfully on his parenting and general peccadillos in youth.

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:02 am Reply with quote
RIP Glynis Johns age 100, to me the definitive Desiree from "A Little Night Music" as well as the mother from "Mary Poppins," the mermaid in "Miranda," roles in "49th Parallel," "An Ideal Husband (1947)," and "The Court Jester." She got a Tony for the first. She was nominated as supporting actress at the Oscars for "The Sundowners." One of my favorites and I'm glad she had such a long career.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Quite a career. In The Sundowners her father played the mayor.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I managed to break my arm (left humerus. simple fracture, and fortunately I'm right-handed). But lots of typos coming up.

RIP Peter Schickle, aka PDQ Bach, the great classical parodist. My personal favorite is "The Unbegun Symphony", which combines lots of classical themes (including two Tchaikovsky themes from the sane symphony played against each other--I had to have this pointed out to me), combined with "Beautiful Dreamer," Ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ray", Anchors Aweigh", "Camptown Races" and more, A few years later, we had "Hooked on Classics" which a big hit and boring in comparison.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:15 am Reply with quote
I managed to see Schickele in concert once. I particularly remember the OK Chorale, who showed up in bathrobes.

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:25 am Reply with quote
Also RIP Norman Jewison, who managed to be underrated and overrated at the same time. My favorite is "Fiddler on the Roof", but I love "Moonstruck" and am fond of "Other People's Money". Rod chose to remember the original "Rollerball."

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Some of Schikele's silliness has permanently engraved itself on my synapses.

Throw the yule log on Uncle John. Only he who is running knows.

I also recall a concert of his music (which my wife got to play in), where the instruments were not your standard symphonic ones. IIRC, one of them was called a wind-breaker. You can imagine.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Also RIP Norman Jewison, who managed to be underrated and overrated at the same time. My favorite is "Fiddler on the Roof", but I love "Moonstruck" and am fond of "Other People's Money". Rod chose to remember the original "Rollerball."

My favorite bit of Norman Jewison trivia is the fact that he was not Jewish, either by faith or ethnicity. He sure had me fooled for a while.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
RIP: Melanie Safka, who was the first musician I paid to see in concert. My mother was a big fan, too.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I spent the summer of 1972 in France and I remember Melanie had a hit song that seemed bigger there than I recall it being back in the States. I went with a group one evening to visit some Paleolithic site where the Paleos had chased animals off of a cliff, and some of them were singing "Ils ont changé ma chanson, Ma." I recall also liking her cover of Ruby Tuesday.

Frau Bartist just informed me that Jewison's In the Heat of the Night beat out The Graduate at the Oscars that year. Seems kind of astonishing now.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, Garfield has finally succeeded in exiling Odie to the Moon.