Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:08 am Reply with quote
carrobin--Weeks after the second (Pfizer) shot, my wife and I are still waiting for those vaunted side effects. Nothin'. I'm not complaining.
carrobin
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
My sister in South Carolina tells me that she and her husband also had no aftereffects following their shots. She also told me that her doctor is concerned because so many people there are refusing the vaccine. And her 24-year-old niece, who had lung surgery three years ago, hasn't taken it because she's heard that it prevents women from getting pregnant! I told my sister that I follow lots of news and never heard that rumor, and if it were true, the whole world would know it--and Hailey needs to get the vaccine!
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've seen that rumor and there's no reason to think it's true. I think that women who are pregnant NOW may be better off with one vaccine than another. I've read that with flu vaccine, for example, they should get the shot and not the nasal spray. I'm not sure why; most likely because the nasal spray is a live-virus vaccine.

The Johnson & Johnson uses a viral vector (not the COVID 19 virus but an adenovirus). Any Covid vaccine that uses live-attenuated Covid 19 virus would not be suitable for a pregnant woman. None of the current vaccines do.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 am Reply with quote
None of the Western vaccines.
I believe all/most of the Chinese vaccines do. And the Russkie vaccine too.
China is up to 5 approved domestic vaccines, but has only vaccinated 65M or so, equal to one smallish province. Mostly frontline workers.
But there is next to no transmission here so nobody is in a rush.
More important to make sure the vaccines are safe and effective.
Over a Billion people in wait-and-see mode.

Yesterday, China had its first domestic transmission case in over a month. A nurse in Central China who works at an infectious disease hospital, who had been vaccinated in Jan/Feb. One case in a month among 1.4B!

I've read that the 2nd dose side effects are more common and greater in people under 55 years old. The theory is that these people have stronger immune systems which ramp up a bigger fight v. the vaccine invader/virus impersonator.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
My goal is to get vaccinated late Summer so I'll be available to take a Euro-vacation late Sept/early Oct if such a thing is advisable then. I'd prefer to get Pfizer or Moderna, those high efficacy mRNA vaccines. Hopefully the West will be vaccinated by mid/late Summer and those high-powered US vaccines will then be available internationally. I've been idly wondering how much extra i'd pay to get Pfizer/Moderna (if possible). But if a trip looks doable for the Fall, I'll take a Chinese vaccine if that's the only option. 1B Chinese can't be wrong ...

A backlog of 3 trips planned:
1. Northern Spain, on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees and Andorra.
Both the Basque coast on the Atlantic and Catalonia on the Mediterranean
Considering a detour into France for Lourdes and Biarritz.
Initially I was thinking of flying in/out Paris, and splitting the trip equally between the countries. But No. Spain just has too much to offer, so will use Madrid or Barcelona as entry/exit. Barcelona, Dali museums, beaches, San Sebastian, the main Spanish wine country, Bilbao, Pamplona, etc.

2. Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova.
A more turbulent region.
Belarus just started encouraging tourism about a year before the virus, can get online e-visas now. Ukraine should be fine, as long as one avoids the border region with Russia.
70% of Moldovans work in jobs related to the wine industry, while the other 30% make up statistics to lure tourists. They have two immense underground wine cellars -- we're talking 20 miles of subterranean wine.
They also have a frozen conflict where Russian troops guard breakaway Transnistria, an industrial strip along the Dniester River in the center of Moldova.

3. Kazakhstan & maybe Uzbekistan or perhaps Kygyzstan.
Kazakhstan is one of those countries that had an oil boom early this century and splurged on rebuilding its capital and crazy buildings and other eccentricities. A sprawling country with quirky urban centers.

Probably would have done two of those trips in 2020, if it weren't the Virus Year. If we ever get through all of those, then maybe next up would be Iran, Ethiopia and perhaps India. Not sure everyone is on board for those, but I've been laying the groundwork.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
Will probably get an mRNA vax as a booster shot this summer. Assume I've still got antibodies from my covid bout this winter. And yes, also for the certificate, in case we go where paperwork is needed. I hear Kazakhstan's annual Running of the Jews is quite a spectacle, if you can there when that's on.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Will probably get an mRNA vax as a booster shot this summer. Assume I've still got antibodies from my covid bout this winter. And yes, also for the certificate, in case we go where paperwork is needed. I hear Kazakhstan's annual Running of the Jews is quite a spectacle, if you can there when that's on.

Their economy's not been the same since the potassium market collapsed.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I've seen that rumor and there's no reason to think it's true. I think that women who are pregnant NOW may be better off with one vaccine than another. I've read that with flu vaccine, for example, they should get the shot and not the nasal spray. I'm not sure why; most likely because the nasal spray is a live-virus vaccine.

The Johnson & Johnson uses a viral vector (not the COVID 19 virus but an adenovirus). Any Covid vaccine that uses live-attenuated Covid 19 virus would not be suitable for a pregnant woman. None of the current vaccines do.

Thanks--I'll send this information to my sister. And I'll mention that unless Hailey wants to risk a choice between death and a lung transplant, she'd better get vaccinated. (Hailey is engaged but wants to get her master's degree before starting a family.)
Syd
Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Syd wrote:

Thanks--I'll send this information to my sister. And I'll mention that unless Hailey wants to risk a choice between death and a lung transplant, she'd better get vaccinated. (Hailey is engaged but wants to get her master's degree before starting a family.)

As Gromit pointed out, I was talking about the American and Brazilian vaccines. I wouldn't recommend the Chinese and Russian vaccines for a pregnant woman.

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anybody in South Carolina would take a foreign vaccine--they're resistant enough to the American ones!
gromit
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 am Reply with quote
That could make a good movie or at least sitcom episode premise.

Someone who lost their job due to CV gets a job as a door-to-door Chinese vaccine salesperson. Best if its in the South or rural America but this might work anywhere. There must be some Tv shows that run these type of cultural conflict reality stuff.

Hell, they could first roll with a white American. Then try a black male. And lastly a Chinese-American with a distinct Asian accent.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I got the vaccine as soon as it was available. It’s very freeing....a lot of people here don’t wear masks....their idea of freedom rules. As to the shot: it’s nothing. Barely felt. I’ve had so much dental work that I know what a real shot feels like. Sore red arm was all. I take a Buddhist view. Experience it. Breathe. It’s temporary.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I had shot #1 two weeks ago, and I didn't feel anything--in fact, I wondered whether I had been vaccinated at all, as there were no aftereffects. But apparently the second shot is more likely to be followed by a reaction.
Syd
Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I had shot #1 two weeks ago, and I didn't feel anything--in fact, I wondered whether I had been vaccinated at all, as there were no aftereffects. But apparently the second shot is more likely to be followed by a reaction.

I had very little reaction after either shot, and more after the first shot.

EDIT: That's odd. I thought I posted this in March.

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:08 am Reply with quote
I may have posted this already, but no reaction to either shot. I know I got them b/c the women who gave them to me were ultra-professional.