Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

censored-03
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
A couple of years back...on a a warm night inside on Christmas Eve, the fire was burning and there was the smell of fresh baked cookies in the house. In the living room Mom had the 3 kids 8, 10 and 12 all rounded up sitting in their favorite chairs to watch the 8pm showing of It's A Wonderful Life the Frank Capra Christmas classic. The children had never seen the movie and Mom and Dad were excited to share and have the kids enjoy it as much as they always had. The show began and the children nestled down with cookies and milk and the mellow cinematic story of trouble and triumph all wrapped up in the Christmas spirit.

The movie began with the ringing of bells sounding off the celebration of this home-spun tale of a bygone era that somehow holds up and rings as true morally today as ever. Well it wasn't long before one of the kids got fidgety and then another. The evening wasn't turning out the way Mom and Dad had planned, soon enough one child was joysticking some wizard into submission in the other room while another had simply fallen asleep in the living room long before Uncle Billy lost the damn money to the thievery of Mr. Potter! The 12 year old tried to stay with it but finally exclaimed "Mom is this whole movie in black and white ??!!"

This little Christmas parable is a true story told to my wife by the "Mom" in the story, her sister. It seems B&W just doesn't cut it for many these days, especially our young. What can I say? This tale of a color challenged classic has stuck with me...sadly.

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:29 am Reply with quote
censored--Then there's the other possibility: that the kids may have had better taste in movies than their parents. I have always found It's a Wonderful Life to be wildly overrated by those who love it. The original critical consensus was on the negative side and the box office was abysmal, and I think the critics and audiences of the time had the right idea. The movie is jerry-built sentiment. Jimmy Stewart is my all-time favorite film actor and I adore Capra's It Happened One Night and admire Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but I have trouble sticking with It's a Wonderful Life. As black-and-white holiday classics go, I'd rather see the original 1947 Miracle on 34th Street (not the pathetic remakes) than It's a Wonderful Life any Christmas season of the week.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quote
THE BEST NEWS OF 2004 TO DATE!!!!

Wait for it...

wait...

HERE IT IS!!!!

Polling firm Zogby International and partner Rock the Vote found Massachusetts Senator John Kerry leading President Bush 55% to 40% among 18-29 year-old likely voters in their first joint Rock the Vote Mobile political poll, conducted exclusively on mobile phones October 27 through 30, 2004. Independent Ralph Nader received 1.6%, while 4% remain undecided in the survey of 6,039 likely voters. The poll is centered on subscribers to the Rock the Vote Mobile (RTVMO) platform, a joint initiative of Rock the Vote and Motorola Inc. (for more information: http://www.rtvmo.com). The poll has margin of error of +/-1.2 percentage points.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
More on the brand new mobile phone poll:

The poll also found that only 2.3% of 18-29 year-old respondents said they did not plan to vote, and another .5% who were not sure if they would. The results of the survey are weighted for region, gender, and political party.

The Rock the Vote Mobile political poll was conducted using a sample group from Rock the Vote Mobile’s 120,000-subscriber base. Participants in the Rock the Vote Mobile (RTVMO) platform, a civic engagement initiative launched last March by Rock the Vote and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT), responded to this poll between October 27 and October 30.

“The results of this text-message poll mirror what we’re seeing in our more conventional polls,” said John Zogby, CEO and president of Utica, N.Y.-based Zogby International. “Among 18-29 year-olds, Kerry leads the President by 14 points—55% to 41% in our current daily tracking poll—virtually identical to these results. Our text-message poll seems to have been validated by this experiment. All in all, I think we’ve broken some new ground in polling.”

Mr. Zogby went on to note that Zogby International plans to explore future text-message surveys in response to concerns throughout the polling industry about reaching mobile telephone users. He added that text-messaging has become an important tool for political activists on both sides of the political spectrum, and Zogby International will be at the forefront of technology shifts that affect polling.

Officials of the non-partisan Rock the Vote praised the joint effort with Zogby and Motorola. The text-message poll marks a departure from current industry standards for polling, but promises to be a first step toward addressing the growing number of Americans who rely primarily—if not solely—on mobile phones.

“Rock the Vote’s mission is to encourage young Americans to be heard in the political process,” said Jehmu Greene, president of Rock the Vote. “Because this group has been increasingly underrepresented in traditional polls, our mobile phone poll conducted with Zogby takes a first step toward capturing the political attitudes of youth voters—reaching them while they are on the go.”

Motorola officials said they were pleased with the poll’s outreach, as well as the large number of respondents.

“Motorola has enthusiastically supported the RTVMO platform throughout this election year because mobile technology can change the way we live our lives,” said Kathleen Finato, senior marketing director for Motorola. “We believe that by engaging in the political process through Rock the Vote Mobile, young adults will continue to be civically engaged beyond the presidential election.”

The survey consisted of one two-part question: whether the recipient planned to vote, and which candidate they planned to vote for. Motorola sent the question out to cell users. Additionally, Rock the Vote and Motorola are using Rock the Vote Mobile to provide constant election updates to mobile phone users. For the remainder of the election season, Rock the Vote Mobile will send election updates to any text-messaging-capable cell-phone users who register at their website, http://www.rtvmo.com.

The results of the survey are weighted for region, gender, and political party. While the nature of the poll is outside polling industry standards, Zogby International is committed to getting the most accurate possible results using its proven weighting methods that ensure a sample more accurately reflects the make-up of the general population.
yambu
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
......I'd rather see the original 1947 Miracle on 34th Street (not the pathetic remakes) than It's a Wonderful Life any Christmas season of the week.
Christmas season of the WEEK?? God help us.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quote
yambu wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
......I'd rather see the original 1947 Miracle on 34th Street (not the pathetic remakes) than It's a Wonderful Life any Christmas season of the week.
Christmas season of the WEEK?? God help us.

Just a play on words.
Marc
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
time test
Marc
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
Eminem was lipsynching (or singing along with a a vocal track) last night on SNL. Several times during his performance he dropped his microphone down to his side while his vocals continued at full volume.
Melody
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:17 am Reply with quote
The vocals were so layered or processed, how could he NOT have been lip synching? I admit I was in another room while Eminem was singing -- I can't stand the guy -- so while I couldn't actually SEE what he was doing, I could very clearly HEAR him singing along with his own voice.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Eminem was lipsynching (or singing along with a a vocal track) last night on SNL. Several times during his performance he dropped his microphone down to his side while his vocals continued at full volume.

I saw that too.
Syd
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
This site tells you how John Kerry and George Bush are related to Vlad the Impaler, aka Dracula.

Apparently Queen Elizabeth II is decended from Vlad the Impaler's dad.

http://landing.msn.ancestry.com/famoustree/strange/bushkerry/trees.aspx?html=main&sourceCode=13673

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:46 pm Reply with quote
It looked to me like he was reading the lyrics, too. I think he's boring.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
For as long as anyone can remember when the Washington Redskins NFL Football team loses its last home game before the Presidential Election the challenger always wins..when the 'Skins win the incumbent candidate wins.

The Redskins lost at home today...Hello John Kerry !!!

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:47 pm Reply with quote
New polls are now giving Iowa, Michigan, and New Mexico to Kerry. -- salon.com

Congratulations, Marc. You may be able to do business with people in your home town.
Marj
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

Where are you getting your polling results? Btw, The Washington Post has Kerry and Bush tied at 48 - 48. AND I've heard that Bush is three points down from 2000!

Welcome Allie. You joined us at an exiting time.