Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Wrecked my 16 year old Taurus on November 18 (my fault), bought a 2014 Kia Cadenza on December 14 (well beyond my means, but it had a hundred thousand miles on it, which brought it just within reach,) and today somebody hit it in the parking lot while I was at work. Since I was parked facing a median, and they hit the front of the car between the grille and the passenger side headlight, they would have had to jump the curb on the other side of the median and about a foot and a half of dirt. The car's running fine and, surprisingly, the headlight works, but there's considerable body work to be done.

The other driver's behaving responsibly, including photographing the damage*, giving me his insurance info, and I'm taking the car in tomorrow for assessment.

*I did too, since I had to show the circumstances of the accident, such as the median and that I was impeccably parked.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
"lets do edibles"

There's something wrong with young people today.
Even when they want to get stoned they sound lame ...

Not sure exactly why, but I'm interested in seeing Cats.
I'll ask my mommy first if it's okay if I can have gummy cannabis ...

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
"lets do edibles"

There's something wrong with young people today.
Even when they want to get stoned they sound lame ...

Not sure exactly why, but I'm interested in seeing Cats.
I'll ask my mommy first if it's okay if I can have gummy cannabis ...

Funny post. I'm interested in seeing "Cats" too...on cable. As the writer suggests, buying a ticket at a theater encourages more musical adaptations by Tom Hooper, and although Anne Hathaway was great in "Les Miserables," the performance by Russell Crowe almost negated everything else.

As for "Cats," I have always loathed the musical more than any other Broadway show of my lifetime, so I wouldn't want to see the movie at all had it not been baptized as an all-time worst and so bad it's almost good.
bartist
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Wrecked my 16 year old Taurus on November 18 (my fault), bought a 2014 Kia Cadenza on December 14 (well beyond my means, but it had a hundred thousand miles on it, which brought it just within reach,) and today somebody hit it in the parking lot while I was at work. Since I was parked facing a median, and they hit the front of the car between the grille and the passenger side headlight, they would have had to jump the curb on the other side of the median and about a foot and a half of dirt. The car's running fine and, surprisingly, the headlight works, but there's considerable body work to be done.

The other driver's behaving responsibly, including photographing the damage*, giving me his insurance info, and I'm taking the car in tomorrow for assessment.

*I did too, since I had to show the circumstances of the accident, such as the median and that I was impeccably parked.

Freakish sounding accident. Do you work on a university campus? Seems like you get more of that type of mishap where novice drivers are prevalent. Hope you get satisfaction with your insurer. Kia seems like a good step up from a Taurus.

Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, university campus. Maybe they hit the gas pedal instead of the brake. The Kia's got lots of bells and whistles, but I think my favorite feature is the rear camera which shows what's behind you when you're backing up. I like Sirius radio, too. It even has heated seats.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I've always figured if you're a tiny kid on a tricycle you're on your own.

Stephen King on the current state of the Oscars....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stephen-king-oped-the-oscars-are-rigged-for-white-people/2020/01/27/ad29c4e8-407c-11ea-aa6a-083d01b3ed18_story.html
bartist
Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
RIP Issur Danielovich, AKA Kirk Douglas at the age of 103. So Olivia de Havilland has now outlived everyone of her generation.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've been assuming 1917 would win the Oscar for Best Picture, but now I wonder if it might be Marriage Story, even without a director nomination. Definitely a dark horse candidate, but it has the best Actor and Actress, and the screenplay is amazing.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a radical opinion:

1917 is Best Picture

Adam Driver wins Best Actor for "Marriage Story"

Scarlett Johannson wins Best Actress for "Marriage Story"

Brad Pitt is Supporting Actor for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"

And Scarlett Johannson becomes the first actress in Hollywood history to win Best Actress and Supporting Actress in the same year.

EDIT: I wasn't entirely serious, but after finishing "Marriage Story," this could actually happen. Except maybe the supporting actress award, for which I don't see a clear favorite (though Dern's been winning awards). Driver and Johannsen are great.

Last edited by Syd on Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
RIP Issur Danielovich, AKA Kirk Douglas at the age of 103. So Olivia de Havilland has now outlived everyone of her generation.

My first big movie crush, after seeing "The Vikings." There's nothing like a swordfight and a burning dragon ship to win the heart of a teenage girl....
bartist
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
I remember that film, one of those family viewings where a parent says, "We're descended from Vikings, we should watch" situations. It was better than some of our cultural heritage rituals like eating lutfisk. Douglas had a good physique for someone who grew up with food scarcity.

Gromit, are you masked up these days? Hope you're staying well. No more roasted bat. (though it sounds like they're now saying pangolins may have been the intermediary)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Oscar predictions. There are fewer strong favorites this year, so I’m having to guess a lot. The one in parenthesis is who I liked the best
Picture: 1917 (Ford v. Ferrari)
Director: Sam Mendes, 1917 (Quentin Tarantino, Once upon a time... )
Actor: Adam Driver Marriage Story (same. Wide open category with three possible career awards)
Actress: Renee Zellweger, Judy (Scarlett Johannson, Marriage Story) Historical imitation wins again
Supporting Actor: Brad Pitt, Once upon a Time in Hollywood (same)
Supporting Actress: Margot Robbie, Bombshell (Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell. Liked Florence Pugh and Robbie a lot, too)
Original Screenplay: Marriage Story (same)
Adapted Screenplay: Joker (Little Women, I guess. I’ve only seen that and “The Irishman,” which I hated)
Animated Feature: Toy Story 4 (How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World)
Foreign: Parasite (Pain and Glory, but three I’ve not seen)
Haven’t seen any of the Animated shorts, documentaries or live action shorts.\
Score: Little Women (same?)
Song: Stand Up from Harriet (probably same. I don’t even remember the Toy Story 4 or Frozen II songs).
Sound Editing Joker (Ford v Ferrari)
Sound Mixing: 1917 (Ford v Ferrari)
Production Design: 1917 (same)
Cinematography: 1917 (same)
Makeup/Hairstyling: Joker (probably same)
Costume design Little Women (same)
Editing: Ford v Ferrari (same)
Visual Effects: Avengers: Endgame (Star Wars IX)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care much for 'Parasite', so I cannot join tonight's celebrations.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
I seldom watch award shows these days, but The Simpsons was a rerun so I gave the Oscars a look. And I rather enjoyed it--there's a looseness to the formalities that's kind of cool, and some of the acceptance speeches were lovely (Laura Dern to her parents, the South Korean director praising Martin Scorsese)--Joaquin Phoenix is always worth hearing, especially when he's making sense. A few good songs, a reminder that Randy Newman is still around, pretty gowns, James Corden and Rebel Wilson in their cat costumes batting around the microphone. Little overt political commentary except a sharp note from Brad Pitt, fine with me. I really have to see some of those movies.
(Even the commercials were pretty good, for the most part. I'll have to catch up with Sanditon tomorrow night, when it's on the other PBS channel.)
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I certainly got that wrong. I owe Billy an apology for dismissing the possibility that a foreign language film (particularly "Parasite") could win best picture. (Although I thought "Roma" had a reasonable chance last year against a weak field.) I can't comment on Joaquin Phoenix's win since I haven't seen "Joker" (or "Jo Jo Rabbit.") though he's obviously done other roles for which he could have won.