Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

knox
Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Blink once for yes, and twice for no.
gromit
Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
It'd be a shame to see this place close.
But really we could continue the same posting at Elba as we do here.
Might even get a few others form there to join in, though judging by the dysfunctional politics thread, we might not want that.

Otherwise in Shanghai over the last two weeks two of my nearby dvd shops closed down. I only know 2 dvd shops that sold cheap dvd's, and the one straight down the road turned into a clothes store. There are some large chain stores that sell pirated dvd's at a slightly higher price. I rarely use those due to the higher price and the fact the dvd's come in plastic boxes, so are much larger than the flatly packaged dvd's I usually buy.

But I was surprised that one of the big dvd stores, just around the bend from me closed down. It seemed to do decent business, though rent increases are often to blame for small business closings here.
I'll have to check if any of the other big dvd shops have closed down.

The other shop I still use doesn't do much business and I wouldn't be surprised to see that fold soon as well. Streaming has won out over physical media. But it was still a minor shock to see my two nearest dvd stores close down within 2 weeks of each other.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
Hello again. TBH, I tend to view message boards chat as pretty ephemeral stuff. Enjoy a nice chat, make friends, jest, joust, then get on with your life.

I know some folks here want stuff archived, and there's nothing to prevent anyone from downloading prized reviews or whatever. I can't remotely imagine spending time (life is short) digging through old postings here, as if it were some British Museum trove of historical arcana. As Theodore Sturgeon said, 90% of everything is crap. And, of what remains, 99% of that is ephemeral, and best suited for lining cyber birdcages.

To illustrate my point - a year or so back, the Elba website was wiped out, and all the threads started afresh. I don't think anyone shed a tear, or felt any deprivation in their lives. We all knew who was who, what the various ideological positions, sports loyalties, whatever. The chat went on. References to old posts were finessed by "as I said back in 2011, yata yata yata..."

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I like to go back and see what I said about a film in the past. I wish I'd done that with "Being Julia," which I thought I'd liked, and actually really hated. I could have spared myself going through that agony again. I also reread Nancy's reviews on the Pre-Code films.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'll sometimes check what people said on a film like Notes on a Scandal or Paterson -- two movies I just rewatched. And sometimes the discussion is interesting and i'll read 5 to 10 pages.

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually it is interesting to read my reviews of movies I barely remember and/or am surprised I wrote a review of.
I've gotten out of the habit, but used to write reviews for much of what I'd see.

Bart, check out Couch and see your old review for Paterson.

One thing bad about 3rd Eye is a number of people will review or comment on a film such as Paterson. But it's usually spread out over a year or more, which isn't that convenient.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Gromit.......Have you heard of a book called The Shanghai Free Taxi? It was reviewed on NPR. I picked up a copy at the library. Looks interesting.

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of it.

But 3 years ago, a whole slew of bike rental companies flooded the city. One brand had these old style metal combo locks. Mostly when folks would relock the bike, the bike combo would still be set at the correct number. So you could simply push the lock button and get a Shanghai Free Bicycle. it was pretty amusing. Then over the next 6 months, that bike company started switching over to fancier electronic locks.

For nearly two years, rental bikes were clogging the sidewalks. There were about 8 different bike rental companies,l and another 2 or 3 electric bike rentals. Then the gov't got tired of the mess, and passed some law or other and now you see some scattered rental bikes, but nothing like the huge mass as before. But the early days of free bike rentals was kind of goofy and fun. Ah, innocence . . .

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The book I referenced was written by an NPR correspondent, Frank Langfitt. He wanted to hear stories about local people so he offered free taxi rides for conversation.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
https://www.theonion.com/july-21-1969-1819587599
bartist
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
RIP Robert Forster. From bail bondsman to vacuum cleaner salesman (who gets Walter out of NM on Breaking Bad), he played memorable and morally mixed guys exceedingly fine.

(edited because of my auto-correct writing "Forster" as "Foster." grr.)

Last edited by bartist on Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 am Reply with quote
RIP Alexei Leonov, the first person to do a spacewalk, and the Russian on the Apollo-Soyuz Mission. I've seen his spacesuit (one of them anyway) at the Stafford Museum in Weatherford, Oklahoma. Stafford was the American on the Apollo-Soyuz mission. With a bit of luck, he would have been on the first manned mission around the Moon, and the first Soviet around the Moon. He was also a writer and artist. Arthur C. Clarke dedicated 2010 to Leonov and Andrei Sakharov, and the spaceship in the book and movie was Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov.

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/18/south-dakota-meth-were-on-it-addiction-campaign

Perhaps the ad campaign needed a little more tweaking....

Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/18/south-dakota-meth-were-on-it-addiction-campaign

Perhaps the ad campaign needed a little more tweaking....

ROTFLMAO.
Syd
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
RIP Gahan Wilson, one of the great cartoonists.