Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
I will sometimes look in when no one has replied to a post for over a week. That can work for classic films and the like, but it's a little sluggish for current films. Many posts are now danglers, i.e. someone posted, no one ever replied to that post, leaving it an open question if anyone read it or garnered anything of value. I can't see spending $160/year for, what, 5 members? to have a sort of frustrating nonchat where they aren't sure if they are getting through or just monologists? I can't speak for anyone else, but I just really prefer more eyes on a page than you can get here these days. Best of luck, and thanks for all the film fellowship.

Don't blame you, but how can I keep in touch?
Syd
Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
If we fold, I'd like to keep an archive of our old posts.

But is there any reason we can't transfer to a different server? This isn't that enormous a site, and I could probably find a way to host it and get some of my friends to post.

A lot of the problems we have here is neglect. I have young friends who would love to post, but nobody's paying attention.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
A problem with a small site is its always hard to attract new members.
And there is attrition over the years.
I still like posting here.
And am due for a movie watching binge.

I'm interested in whatever can be worked out.
Cheaper server.
Move to Elba, where they could likely add a New Films / Old Films / Lobby thread to accommodate us.

Agree something should be done to preserve the archives.
It's probably all there via the wayback machine, for those who know how to access such.

Anyway, it's been good discussing films with you folks over the past decade and a half. Hope it continues in some form, here or elsewhere.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Anyway, it's been good discussing films with you folks over the past decade and a half. Hope it continues in some form, here or elsewhere.

I'm strangely sad about this turn of events, though I could see it coming for the past couple of years. I've gotten so much joy out of this site that I hate to see it end. Praying for Gary btw.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:

Move to Elba, where they could likely add a New Films / Old Films / Lobby thread to accommodate us.

Agree something should be done to preserve the archives.

Elba-ward sounds doable. And answers Billy's kind question. At Elba, Josh has gotten pretty good about deleting spam. And I think he'd be amenable to adding two more film threads (it already has a current film and a film trivia thread).

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
WOuld he be able to transfer old posts?

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
Would he be able to transfer old posts?

By the way, we have 21778 members, from all over the world.

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
About 21,500 of those are fake registrations by bots. Which is why they aren't activated. Most admins routinely use the Prune feature of PHP to delete those as they pile up. The fact that 3Eye has let the count grow so high is pretty good indicator no one's minding the store.

Josh (I'm Oilcan over at Elba) can't archive anything. You're going to need this...

https://archive.org/web/
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P.

Franco Zeffirelli.

Ghulam
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Post "dues" notices on two frequently visited pages, The Lobby, and the Current Film Talk.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
About 21,500 of those are fake registrations by bots. Which is why they aren't activated. Most admins routinely use the Prune feature of PHP to delete those as they pile up. The fact that 3Eye has let the count grow so high is pretty good indicator no one's minding the store.

Josh (I'm Oilcan over at Elba) can't archive anything. You're going to need this...

Does that work it you don't own the site? And I wasn't asking about archiving the site, I want to transfer threads verbatim. I suspect I can transfer the files verbatim using Filezilla, assuming I get a couple of IP addresses and passwords, but I have no idea how to archive a site I don't own.

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'd miss this site enormously, even though I don't post very often--I'm willing to pay something on its upkeep, but if people are going to drop out, it seems pointless. Where are the Russians when you need them....
Syd
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:

That works, but how do I archive the entire site?

Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
This place is a bit technical, but has maybe some useful links to free software you can use to archive an entire MB....

https://meta.discourse.org/t/archive-an-old-forum-in-place-to-start-a-new-discourse-forum/13433

This might work, if you've got a host...or a sizeable hard drive (gulp):

http://www.httrack.com/
knox
Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I'd miss this site enormously, even though I don't post very often--I'm willing to pay something on its upkeep, but if people are going to drop out, it seems pointless. Where are the Russians when you need them....

"Russia....if you're listening..."

heh!