Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
knox wrote:
I like Gary's fiction vignettes in the creative writing thread here. Also his anecdotes about living in France, and bumping into famous people and oddballs in his NYC years. He seems like a good and gracious soul, and was always welcoming of newbies.

One grandma lived to 94. She had a Mediterranean diet before it was called that. And didn't smoke. Works for me. I think the single most important factor in longevity, however, is not sitting. She walked everywhere.
I miss his sharp insight into movies he had not seen. I hope he is at peace.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
On a more cheerful subject, Oscar noms are out. I was surprised that Pawel Pawilkowski was nominated for CW over Cooper for ASiB or Farrelly for GB. I saw Pawilkowski's earlier BFL winner I and found it a gorgeous snoozefest. Three of the five cinematographers are for foreign films, including the man who I continue to believe would be my father in law but for the restraining order, Caleb Deschanel for NLA (Woa in the original German). That's three of the BFL nominees with regular competitive nominations, which I suspect is a first. I had assumed R was the shoo in for BFL, but there seems to be support for CW and NLA. Anyway, I was happy to see the nomination for WaCTHS4W, and the nods for Zophres and the Coens.

For billy: CW = Cold War, ASiB = A Star is Born. GB = Driving Miss Shirley er, Green Book, BFL = Best Foreign Language. I = Ida. NLA = Never Look Away (Werk ohne Autor). R = Roma. WaCTHS4W = When a Cowboy Tades His Spurs for Wings. You are welcome. Barton made me do it.

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
. . .

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I rather like "When a Cowboy Trades His Wings For Spurs," though I suspect the choice will be for "Shallow" and "The Place Where Lost Things Go." All three are good songs.

Are they only allowing one song per movie now? It's hard to imagine the other two songs being nominated over other songs from "A Star Is Born" and "Mary Poppins Returns."

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
On a more cheerful subject, Oscar noms are out. I was surprised that Pawel Pawilkowski was nominated for CW over Cooper for ASiB or Farrelly for GB. I saw Pawilkowski's earlier BFL winner I and found it a gorgeous snoozefest. Three of the five cinematographers are for foreign films, including the man who I continue to believe would be my father in law but for the restraining order, Caleb Deschanel for NLA (Woa in the original German). That's three of the BFL nominees with regular competitive nominations, which I suspect is a first. I had assumed R was the shoo in for BFL, but there seems to be support for CW and NLA. Anyway, I was happy to see the nomination for WaCTHS4W, and the nods for Zophres and the Coens.

For billy: CW = Cold War, ASiB = A Star is Born. GB = Driving Miss Shirley er, Green Book, BFL = Best Foreign Language. I = Ida. NLA = Never Look Away (Werk ohne Autor). R = Roma. WaCTHS4W = When a Cowboy Tades His Spurs for Wings. You are welcome. Barton made me do it.

Thanks, Whiskey. Strangely enough, I knew most of them without the clues. I must be getting better.
billyweeds
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I rather like "When a Cowboy Trades His Wings For Spurs," though I suspect the choice will be for "Shallow" and "The Place Where Lost Things Go." All three are good songs.

Are they only allowing one song per movie now? It's hard to imagine the other two songs being nominated over other songs from "A Star Is Born" and "Mary Poppins Returns."

I liked all three songs too, but IMO "The Place Where Lost Things Go" is by far the best. It's truly magnificent.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
RIP movie composer, Michel LeGrand. I love playing a couple of his movie songs on the piano - What are You Doing the Rest of Your Life, and The Windmills of Your Mind.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
RIP movie composer, Michel LeGrand. I love playing a couple of his movie songs on the piano - What are You Doing the Rest of Your Life, and The Windmills of Your Mind.

Legrand was extremely talented. The two songs you cite are good, but my favorites are "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" from Best Friends, and almost anything from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
bartist
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
I don't want Lobby to be nothing but RIP notices, but....RIP Albert Finney. A great one.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, TCM showed "Tom Jones" the day Finney died. They're doing an Academy Awards month. A lovely literate lighthearted flick, though my favorite line will always be Edith Evans' "Rouse yourself from this pastoral stupor!" (I even say it to myself occasionally.)

Finney and Alan Bates shared a first film, "The Entertainer," as brothers--though Finney had only one early scene, while Bates was the son who had to deal with Olivier throughout.

I wish TCM would show "Wolfen." Finney, wolves, American Indians, NYC. I don't remember much about it except that I liked it a lot.
bartist
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing Wolfen and liking it, too. Based on a book Whitley Strieber wrote before he became a paranormal/UFO nut in the 80s. I will rouse myself from pastoral stupor and try to find it.

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Also "Scrooge," "Miller's Crossing," "Erin Brockovich," "Big Fish," and "A Good Year" (which I liked if other people didn't), to name a few more. Played Henry V on stage in 1956 when he was 20.

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
RIP Bruno Ganz, who was active right to the end. I remember him best for Bread and Tulips, and, of course, Adolf Hitler. He had a part in The Boys from Brazil, which seems fitting.

According to Wikipedia: Ganz was the holder of the Iffland-Ring, which is passed from actor to actor as being judged the "most significant and most worthy actor of the German-speaking theatre". That sounds about right. (Two of the holders collapsed while playing King Lear, so I know what play the next holder should avoid.)

EDIT: Come to think of it, I remember him best from "Wings of Desire." How could that slip my mind?

Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Many small roles too, where he shone. I recall him most recently in Unknown, where he protects Liam Neeson by committing suicide.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
https://youtu.be/JMC8kHycgwM

Man dances cheek to cheek with his statuette. RIP.