Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 am Reply with quote
I sometimes get bogus emails "from" my niece or someone I haven't heard from in years, with an ad enclosed. Somehow a name is pulled out of my past email to get me to open and read this "weight loss plan" or whatever is being sold. That could be what's happening.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
Quite possibly. I'm sorry I can't remember Ehle's partner's name. But I thought he had kept the page up as a memorial, and assumed it was somehow related to that. It was just an odd blip and then I forgot about it until I read Billy's comment.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This weirdness is awfully close to Hallowe'en.

Meanwhile in the Arctic, another case is made against spoilers...

https://www.foxnews.com/world/antarctic-scientist-stabbed-colleague-on-remote-research-station-because-he-kept-tell-him-the-endings-of-books-report

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
Stephen Colbert mentioned that on tonight's show. He said his sympathy was with the stabber.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm all for spoilers. In fact, research shows people enjoy a story more if they know the ending. Even before I knew about that research, I found the issue of spoiler obsessions silly.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I'm all for spoilers. In fact, research shows people enjoy a story more if they know the ending. Even before I knew about that research, I found the issue of spoiler obsessions silly.

I strenuously disagree. SPOILER ALERTS are necessary. Nothing ruins a story more for me than knowing the ending. Of course, I can enjoy a movie a second time after finding out how it ends, but that's for a totally different reason. Then I can appreciate other things about it. As well as admiring the skill it took to put an intricate story together.
gromit
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
I don't really worry about it because even if I heard what the ending was, I'll have forgotten by the time I see the film or read the book. Plus I enjoy the storytelling process, so i don't try to figure out what will happen next or guess the ending. i like the flow of a story. And the ending isn't too important for me.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:

I strenuously disagree. SPOILER ALERTS are necessary. Nothing ruins a story more for me than knowing the ending. Of course, I can enjoy a movie a second time after finding out how it ends, but that's for a totally different reason. Then I can appreciate other things about it. As well as admiring the skill it took to put an intricate story together.

I acknowledge you are an exception, but science is science. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417007

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
I don't really worry about it because even if I heard what the ending was, I'll have forgotten by the time I see the film or read the book. Plus I enjoy the storytelling process, so i don't try to figure out what will happen next or guess the ending. i like the flow of a story. And the ending isn't too important for me.

This happens to me a lot, too. But I'm also talking about those people who are spoiler-phobic about every development of the plot, not just the ending. I find it very silly.

-Topher
Syd
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
My ex-girlfriend was mad because I mentioned something in Grimm that happened in the first five minutes of the episode. She assumed it was a major spoiler.

Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I generally object to disclosure of a Big Reveal, when it does deprive the viewer of that moment of exquisite shock that's possible if they aren't familiar with a certain type of "reality isn't what you think it is" twist. Planet of the Apes. The Sixth Sense. All those Phil Dick inspired plots, like The Matrix. Occurrence at Owl Creek. Lulu on the Bridge. Unreliable Narrator tropes. Etc. I don't think most viewers, if they like suspenseful genre films, much appreciate having the suspense and mysteriousness tampered with by a spoilery person. Guess I'm voting for the knife here.

Joe, the Sage study you linked has multiple flaws, including a skewed sample population, and choice of literary works (Chekhov, for example) that would be less harmed by spoilers than the film examples I was thinking of.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
It passed the peer review and publication stage, so I'm not discounting it.

I still think spoiler-phobia is silly.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
As someone with training in cognitive science, I am going to skip a long boring rant on the pitfalls of such studies (even peer-reviewed) and just say that when you are a college student who is going to read Chekhov, you may have some idea where his stories tend to go. When you are not familiar with, to give a concrete example, M. Night Shyamalan, and you watch a movie about a peculiar 18th century village, you may not expect that it's actually a preserve outside of exurban Philadelphia that planes and helicopters have been directed not to fly over. "The Village" is not a great movie, but I think most people who watched it from a more-or-less naive perspective would not have welcomed that information and I wouldn't call their feelings on the matter "obsessive." So, I humbly invite you to consider that example (or substitute a plot twist that you like better, that really blew your mind?) and perhaps not condemn as "silly" everyone of us who declines spoilers.

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The payoff for protecting spoilers is pretty minimal. One viewing of "oh my gosh." It's every viewing after that that proves the most rewarding.

I would agree that there's a spectrum. I was kinda bugged when the AV Club gave away the "surprise" that occurs about mid-way through Laura, specifically because it's a delicious moment that only works if you don't know it's going to happen. But that's pretty small reward considering what you get from movies you already know and ruminate about.

-Topher
bartist
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/americans-would-feel-safer-if-a-huge-caravan-of-angry-white-men-left-the-country