Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Latest update from the Times on Trump's Puerto Rico visit: "President Trump told officials that they should be proud that only 16 people died in Hurricane Maria, compared with the 'thousands' killed in 'a real catastrophe like Hurricane Katrina.'"

That's his idea of praise? Hey, you're lucky that your hurricane wasn't that bad? And when there are still sure to be many bodies found in the outlying areas that still haven't been helped or searched? Someone should be editing his off-the-cuff comments. (And his tweets. And his speeches. Oh, what the heck.)
bartist
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The best editing tool for Trump would be a ball-gag (see "Pulp Fiction,").

I am so sick of the garbage that comes out of his mouth, or his tweety fingers. Man has the wit and personality of a porcupine.

He seems unable to grasp that if someone in PR dies of dysentery or cholera or some other water-borne disease, that is a hurricane fatality, since the storm destroyed or shut down a lot of fresh water infrastructure. And, as you note, the body count is far from complete in the boonies.

Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
Latest update from the Times on Trump's Puerto Rico visit: "President Trump told officials that they should be proud that only 16 people died in Hurricane Maria, compared with the 'thousands' killed in 'a real catastrophe like Hurricane Katrina.'"

That's his idea of praise? Hey, you're lucky that your hurricane wasn't that bad? And when there are still sure to be many bodies found in the outlying areas that still haven't been helped or searched? Someone should be editing his off-the-cuff comments. (And his tweets. And his speeches. Oh, what the heck.)
And not a real catastrophe! Which I am sure is appreciated by all those people in the hills with no water or electricity, or homes.

Anyway, just a budget line item and an excuse for the president to behave like a cheerleader with a t shirt cannon. Despicable.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I've read more books by this year's winners of the Nobel Prize in Physics than the last 24 winners of the Nobel Prize in Literature combined. I'm embarrassed this year since Kazuo Ishiguro wrote both The Remains of the Day and The Saddest Music in the World.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The one Ishiguro I read, I didn't like his writing style at all, but thought he had good ideas. I was just down in Bulgaria and Romania and almost picked up some Ivo Andric, a Bosnian who won the 1961 Literature Nobel. But my friend brought me 3 books, I had the one I was reading, plus the guidebook, so I felt overloaded already with books. Andric is apparently not popular in Bosnia as they think he looked down upon Muslims in his writings; but he is embraced by Serbs.

Andric was actually arrested and imprisoned as a suspect in the plot to start WWI (aka the Franz Ferdinand assassination in Sarajevo). probably one of the least known post-war Nobel winners (outside ex-Yugoslavia). His masterwork is considered to be Bridge on the Drina. Two of the books delivered to me in the East Balkans are by Sinclair Lewis, the 1930 Nobel winner. It Can't Happen Here about a fascist takeover in the US, and Kingsblood Royal, a meditation on race. Both rather relevant in this age of Trumpism.

Last edited by gromit on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Never Let Me Go was a great book and a great movie. I am reading It Can't Happen Here now. I'm having trouble sorting all the characters and their funny names. I really enjoyed Babbit.

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, when Guy Maddin filmed The Saddest Music in the World. he took the premise of Ishiguro's story, scrapped Ishiguro's script and substituted a Guy Maddin script instead. The Remains of the Day is apparently pretty faithful.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kudos to the folks in Stockholm for recognizing the importance of this....

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/06/world/nobel-peace-prize/index.html

No more nukes. No more living in a false bubble of security created by the notion that nukes are stabilizing and make large-scale wars unthinkable. It's a load of bollocks.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Happy Columbus Day. Or, for Yambu and Bart, Happy Native Peoples Day. I would include Syd, but after looking it up, see they have stuck with Columbus.

Surprised a little - OK seemed like the state that had the most constituency for going with the Native peoples observance. SD might have the highest percentage, though, if you go by people who have official tribal membership and live on tribal lands. I think OK has a bigger percentage, if you count everyone with some Native ancestry.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Apparently, when Guy Maddin filmed The Saddest Music in the World. he took the premise of Ishiguro's story, scrapped Ishiguro's script and substituted a Guy Maddin script instead. The Remains of the Day is apparently pretty faithful.
I have seen as many movies featuring acting performances by this year's Economics Nobel Laureate than all Nobel Laureates in all disciplines since 1984 combined.

For the record, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
So, The Big Short has Richard Thaler, and PG&BtK has Bob Dylan.

If you saw The Tailor of Panama, or Turtle Diary, you saw another laureate. I'll buy you a Pint, if you can guess who.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Have not seen either. Or, with a quick embarrassing consult to imdb, any of the other things Pinter has been in.

I go back to Man of Iron, with Lech Walesa (Peace, 1982) as a wedding guest bearing democratic flowers.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't skip Turtle Diary if you see it streaming anywhere, or languishing in a cheapie bin. Sir Ben and Glenda Jackson are both at the top of their form.
IIRC, a great scene showing the stupidity of middle-aged men fistfighting.

Would say similar re Geoffrey Rush and T of Pan. Based on a LeCarre novel.

Have not yet seen MoI.

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
knox wrote:
Happy Columbus Day. Or, for Yambu and Bart, Happy Native Peoples Day. I would include Syd, but after looking it up, see they have stuck with Columbus.

Surprised a little - OK seemed like the state that had the most constituency for going with the Native peoples observance. SD might have the highest percentage, though, if you go by people who have official tribal membership and live on tribal lands. I think OK has a bigger percentage, if you count everyone with some Native ancestry.

It's Indigenous People's Day at OU and the city of Norman, so I got to work on both holidays. I think Alaska actually has the highest percentage of Native people, including Aleuts, Inuits and their kin.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

I am so sick of the garbage that comes out of his mouth, or his tweety fingers. Man has the wit and personality of a porcupine.

Or the brain of a gnat, as a colleague of mine would say.

IMO He is disgraceful and simply incompetent, from whatever direction one looks at him.

[And if I were to go further, the paragraph would get very, very long and exhaust my vocabulary, so that's it.]

What a loser!