Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
bartist wrote:
Especially if you find a tiki torch in your hand, symbolizing the preferred illumination method of a KKK lynch mob. Of course the riot gear you are wearing, and the baton in the other hand, could just be a prudent measure to ensure personal safety.

Had forgotten HG was Thurston Howell III (flashbacks to TH3's youth, right?).

Thurston Howell is the name of his character in Magnolia. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know whether it's a connection with the Jim Backus character.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
So I have some sympathy for keeping some of those historical figures somewhere in a town, maybe someplace where they are less likely to signal, say, "this is what modern-day Charlottesville is all about. Woohoo!" So maybe total annihiliation of old Confederates isn't necessary. Move them from the town square or a central park to some location that is understood to be an historical park, where both saints and sinners are displayed and put in whatever context suits the viewer.

I'd think the appropriate places for Lee and Jackson would be battlefield memorials (along with the generals they fought against) and Confederate cemeteries. For example, statues of Lee and Grant at Appomattox would be appropriate, as would one of Jackson at Chancellorville. I see no reason to commemorate Jefferson Davis although he'd have to be mentioned and have portraits in museums. Nathan Bedford Forrest can go to hell.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
Especially if you find a tiki torch in your hand, symbolizing the preferred illumination method of a KKK lynch mob. Of course the riot gear you are wearing, and the baton in the other hand, could just be a prudent measure to ensure personal safety.

Had forgotten HG was Thurston Howell III (flashbacks to TH3's youth, right?).
Not the III. His Magnolia character was named Thurston Howell. No connection I know of. PTA used to sneak salutes to his father into his movies (Cf., PSH as Phil Parma, which was a reference to a Cleveland suburb his father used to make fun of when he was Ghoulardi; There is also a reference to his father's Ghoulard sign off line, Stay sick) so maybe there is that connection.

Googled. No GI connection with Ernie Anderson. PTA must have liked the name.

Last edited by whiskeypriest on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Syd wrote:
bartist wrote:
So I have some sympathy for keeping some of those historical figures somewhere in a town, maybe someplace where they are less likely to signal, say, "this is what modern-day Charlottesville is all about. Woohoo!" So maybe total annihiliation of old Confederates isn't necessary. Move them from the town square or a central park to some location that is understood to be an historical park, where both saints and sinners are displayed and put in whatever context suits the viewer.

I'd think the appropriate places for Lee and Jackson would be battlefield memorials (along with the generals they fought against) and Confederate cemeteries. For example, statues of Lee and Grant at Appomattox would be appropriate, as would one of Jackson at Chancellorville. I see no reason to commemorate Jefferson Davis although he'd have to be mentioned and have portraits in museums. Nathan Bedford Forrest can go to hell.
Lee might also deserve a statue at Washington and Lee University. Half of it is named after him, and he served as its President after the war.

Battlefield monuments can stay. It is honoring them in public squares for their service in support of slavery that is at issue.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems rather weird to start knocking down so many Confederate statues all at once, as if they've suddenly been discovered lurking in the bushes and have to be exterminated. It only riles up the alt-right, KKK, whatever you want to call them, giving them excuses to haul out the torches. And they don't have to be publicized every time.

I liked the "photo" on Stephen Colbert's show with a KKK guy in full regalia and "Make America Great Again" on his hood.
Syd
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
It seems rather weird to start knocking down so many Confederate statues all at once, as if they've suddenly been discovered lurking in the bushes and have to be exterminated. It only riles up the alt-right, KKK, whatever you want to call them, giving them excuses to haul out the torches. And they don't have to be publicized every time.

I liked the "photo" on Stephen Colbert's show with a KKK guy in full regalia and "Make America Great Again" on his hood.

It's not that weird when you consider that the one in Charlottesville became a rallying point for neo-Nazis. Would you want them gathering in Baltimore or Louisville?

I'm trying to figure out what Robert E. Lee was doing in Baltimore to begin with. I can understand why Taney was there, because he was a native of Maryland.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
That's what I'm afraid of, that they'll show up in Baltimore and wherever else they know a statue is coming down. Although maybe if enough are brought down at once, there will be a confused scramble of rallies.
Syd
Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, when I was working at the Bath Marine Museum (in Maine) as a summer job, I got to work at an exhibit dedicated, sort of, to Benedict Arnold. The reason was that his failed expedition to Quebec went through Maine (including, apparently, Bath).

Of course, this was well before his treason, and we didn't have statues saying what a wonderful person he was.

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The Brits probably do--Arnold is a hero over there.
bartist
Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/as-your-doctor-i-am-protesting-the-removal-of-your-tumor-because-i-dont-want-to-erase-your-medical-history

Even if the analogy is rather shaky, this made me laugh.

When I see the name Benedict Arnold, I always feel like the name got reversed.

Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Paul Krugman's column today really lets loose at Trump, comparing him (unfavorably) with Caligula. It demonstrates everything the Trumpers hate about us alt-left liberal East Coast snowflakes, and it's great. (Hey, right-wingers, snowflakes will come down on you in avalanches.)

http://nytimes.com/2017/08/18/opinion/trump-caligula-republican-congress.html
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Finally I have been readmitted to the forum. Sorry to have been MIA. Not my intention, but the technical side of this forum sometimes goes weird. Anyway, back from the coast, and ready to rumble.
bartist
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Do I know you?

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Must be some newbie . . .

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The face is familiar.....

According to the astrology sites I've been looking into since finding out that the last eclipse seen only in the USA was in 1776, an eclipse in tomorrow's circumstances could portend the fall of a ruler. Or the energizing of an unstable ruler. Either way, it sounds like something already in progress, but we can hope our current leader ends up like George III.

R.I.P. Jerry Lewis, whom I liked a lot back when he was with Dino (I was a kid and so was he, it seemed), and in some later flicks like "The Nutty Professor." I didn't consider him a genius, but sometimes he could be brilliant. Was it in "The Errand Boy" or "The Bellboy" that he sat at a boardroom table and "conducted" an orchestral business meeting? I'd love to see that again.

And R.I.P. Dick Gregory, whom I never found particularly funny, but I respected him. It's tough to be a successful comic when one is intensely into a cause.