Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

whiskeypriest
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
It's true (and has been commented upon) that when a transcript of a Trump interview appears in the press or online, it's usually rambling and distracted and occasionally incoherent, which is much more apparent when you're reading the words instead of hearing him spin them out.
As someone who has had their words taken down verbatim on numerous occasions and then read the transcripts of them, there is nothing more likely to make you look like a damned incoherent idiot than a verbatim transcript of something you have said.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
George H. W. Bush had a way of speaking where he would start a sentence, it would meander for a while and wind up in a place where you had a hard time figuring out how it got there. However, I never doubted that he was intelligent and never worried about his competence. Though he did seem politically out of touch during the 1992 election, when he actually had to take a stand on issues.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
As someone who has had their words taken down verbatim on numerous occasions and then read the transcripts of them, there is nothing more likely to make you look like a damned incoherent idiot than a verbatim transcript of something you have said.

That's quite true, but I've also done light edits of transcriptions (none of my own, just interviews), and most people do sound basically coherent, at least. They usually do need a bit of clarification, but Trump sounds like he needs an interpreter.
bartist
Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Now Mooch's wife has filed for divorce, citing his political ambitions. Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening.

And Huckabee wants to repeal the 17th. What a freakshow.

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by bartist on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Is Billyweeds on a long hiatus? Send up a flare, let us know you are enjoying the island.

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Sam Shepard. Author of the last off-Broadway show I saw, a couple of years back, "Ages of the Moon" with Stephen Rea. Wonderful playwright.

And now just read that Jeanne Moreau died, at 89.
bartist
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2017/jul/31/jeanne-moreau-a-life-in-pictures

Great talents, she and Shephard . WhiskeyP was remembering her as Doll Tearsheet in "Chimes at Midnight," at the other website.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Happy birthday, Billyweeds!

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
David Letterman Returning to TV With Netflix Talk Show

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/david-letterman-returning-to-tv-with-netflix-talk-show/ar-AApIWZL?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

carrobin
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Today in Virginia, Robert E. Lee would be disgusted and appalled.
knox
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hitler would be fine with it, however!

Trump had a chance to make a worthwhile tweet, condemn the thing, but no, he can't to afford to lose his Brownshirts base, can he?

So he gets Melania to issue a bland everyone-be-calm tweet instead. Nice 'n' neutral.
bartist
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Paul Ryan condemned the white supremacist nazis. So did McConnell. But Trump, at Bedminster, was only able to condemn bigotry and hatred "on all sides," and later "on many sides." Hey, Donnie, did you notice the folks bearing swastikas? What other "sides" were you thinking of, there? Yeah, he is definitely trying to hang onto his Brownshirt brigade. The core of The Incredible Shrinking Base.

I liked the Hawaii senator Brian Schatz offering a pointed comment on Twitter: “It is not too much to ask to have a President who explicitly condemns nazis.”

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
One of the commenters said that she saw violence on both sides, so we can't blame just one group. But it seems to me that if there are two sides and one of them includes neo-Nazis, anti-Semites, and the Ku Klux Klan, that's the side to blame.

It really bothers me that Robert E. Lee is being allied with Hitler by these morons. I can understand why his statue may offend some people, but as a South Carolinian by birth if not by inclination, I think of him as an honorable man who chose to fight for his state's side in spite of disagreeing with its cause.

As for Trump, what's it going to take--after all the news this week, including North Korea, climate change, Russian investigations, and now alt-Right terrorism--for his weak and worried colleagues to throw a net over him and lock him in a closet?
carrobin
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
When Trump made his initial response to the Virginia violence, did anyone else who's old enough to remember "Laugh-In" get an image of Henry Gibson holding a flower? I don't remember any of the little poems he recited, but Trump's "this is bad, people should love each other" message seemed similar. So now he's trying to catch up, but too late--his shallow first speech was the true Trump.