Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Drumpf fires Comey. Just when you think it can't get any crazier...
carrobin
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I was relieved when the newsfolk started right up saying what I had immediately thought: This isn't about Hillary, it's about the Russian investigation. He keeps firing people who don't do what he wants them to do, and most of those things concern the Russia probe. I wonder what John Le Carre thinks about all this--"We do these things so much more cleverly in Britain"?
bartist
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a post on Twitter that Mr. Comey “should be immediately called to testify in an open hearing about the status of Russia/Trump investigation at the time he was fired.”

I can see where this firing might loosen Comey's tongue. So this could backfire nicely on Trump. Dems compare this to Nixon's Saturday night massacre, call for an IP, and if that works out then maybe LeCarre will get to watch some cleverness.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Comey was appointed FBI director by President Barack Obama in 2013.
In so doing, he elevated a Republican law enforcement veteran who had been critical of the Justice Department under former President George W. Bush to the top domestic investigative and surveillance organization, among the most powerful posts in the world.

Why do Dems feel the need to offer a key position to a Repub?
Obama had Chuck Hagel as Sec of Defense and Comey as FBI director.
Clinton had William Cohen as Sec of Defense. Why make GOPers Sec of Defense, when their policies favor military waste, crony capitalism and war? Exactly the wrong policies. It's basically an admission that Dem's are weak on defense and need a GOP leader to keep things on track. Why not make the case that GOP defense policies are terrible and Dem policies are better?

Do Repubs ever tab a Dem for a high profile position?

Not surprising that giving power to someone with divided loyalties finally backfired. Comey was unprofessional when he castigated Hillary while saying that no charges should be brought. Then announcing a brief reopening of the investigation right before the election (while not mentioning that trump was being investigated for more serious ish) was inexcusable.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
gromit--You are so on the money about Dems and Rethugs and hiring. Dems are inherently self-flagellating and Rethugs are control experts. This is why, although I despise Rethugs (hence my nickname for them) with all my heart, I have almost equal contempt for Dems. They are wishy-washy and fuzzy. I am a registered Dem only because I like to vote in primaries.

All that said, and although I think Comey was way out of line in the Hillary deal, I am disgusted by the latest move by Drumpf (whose name I will not say or write). He is the second coming of Adolf Hitler, and we must get rid of him asap.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Yep, look at the timing of his firings of Sally Yates, Preet Bharara, and now Comey. Each was investigating DT.

Check out ths blog, which neatly assembles all the Russiagate material to date. (prepare to have your blood curdled)

https://extranewsfeed.com/from-russia-with-oil-4d027411bcc5

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
bart--Who is that on your avatar?
Syd
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
[quote="gromit"]
Quote:

Yes, Michael Flynn is a Democrat. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_appointments_across_party_lines

Bush 43 had Norman Mineta in his cabinet, but Secretary of Transportation isn't that high-profile a position. Jeane Kirkpatrick and William Bennett were Democrats and for all I know Bennett still may be. (Kirkpatrick later became a Republican.) Both were pretty conservative. Before that was John Connally, who was a Democrat when Nixon appointed him Secretary of the Treasury.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Fascinating article(s), Bart--it really does sound like a LeCarre novel. I wonder what Smiley is doing these days...
billyweeds
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
"Trump is a menace. He must be stopped."

http://tinyurl.com/k3voobe
bartist
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Billy, I can't presently disclose the identity of my avatar. And now I must, without saying a long goodbye, or a farewell, my lovely, take the big sleep that is my nap. Then perhaps a swim with the lady in the lake, or just watching Spring unfold from the high window.

Carro, I don't suppose any character in a LeCarre novel was quite as implausible as DT. Or peed upon.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
True, the Trump Administration is far too fantastical for a LeCarre plot. Or for a Chandler plot, for that matter.
gromit
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Syd"]
gromit wrote:
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_political_appointments_across_party_lines

Bush 43 had Norman Mineta in his cabinet, but Secretary of Transportation isn't that high-profile a position. Jeane Kirkpatrick and William Bennett were Democrats and for all I know Bennett still may be. (Kirkpatrick later became a Republican.) Both were pretty conservative. Before that was John Connally, who was a Democrat when Nixon appointed him Secretary of the Treasury.

Kirkpatrick and Flynn both worked for the GOP campaign, and then were appointed when their candidate won. So essentially they had switched sides prior to being appointed. Kirkpatrick and Bennett both formally switched to the GOP. Flynn likely to follow I would expect.

I knew I was forgetting others DEM concessions.
Gates was Obama's 1st Sec of Defense.
While Clinton gave Greenspan another 8 years, which worked out badly as Greenspan hammered on the deficit thwarting some of Clinton's plans, gave crucial backing to W's tax cuts for the wealthy, and later presided over the Bush/Greenspan Depression.

Basically the GOP concessions are things like putting a black Repub (Ben Carson) as head of HUD.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
My late friend Peter McGovern (a relative of George) was a politics fanatic and I never understood the fascination; politics was boring and aggravating back then. But ever since W, I've wished he were around to enjoy this. Of course he'd be furious and activist and going nuts, but he'd be having the time of his life.

(He was the guy who told me that he hated his mother for not aborting him--he had inherited physical problems as well as type I diabetes--and tried suicide several times via Russian roulette, being sort of a Catholic and figuring if he was meant to die, that was how to do it. But he died in bed, at 52.)
bartist
Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
Hope everyone, and their employers, survived yesterday's global cyber attack. The servers were tied up at a couple websites I use, but things seem normal now. Terrible about the hospitals in UK being shut down. Hope they catch these lowlife bastards. The NYT reran their article on ways to protect your data and privacy, some useful stuff there, though I'm not ready to get a VPN or use DuckDuckGo for all my searches.