Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
If I weren't allergic to cats, I'd have two or three. But the only time I've ever experienced an asthma attack was when I slept over at a friend's house (I was a teenager) and woke up at 3 in the morning gasping for breath. Turned out the family cat usually slept on that bed.
bartist
Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
Cat allergies are to the Fel D1 protein, which is minimized in breeds like the Balinese. Those breeds are called hypoallergenic, but you might still have to have designated sleeping areas that don't include your bed. Not ideal, if you feel your companion animal should be able to sleep with you, but cats will still bond with you even if they can't share the bed.

Also, you can get tested for the Fel D1 sensitivity. Sometimes an apparent cat allergy attack, as you described, is actually an allergy to some plant material that the cat rolled around in outside. Our cats are, essentially, pigs, so I'm not sure my eye-watering moments are from Fel D1, or from what they've been wallowing in, in the yard.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I keep seeing people repeating the meme that Hillary Clinton is the best qualified candidate for president in living memory. Well, her actual qualifications are eight years in the Senate and four as Secretary of State, and some for being First Lady.

I'd say Bill Richardson trumps that. He was congressman and governor of New Mexico, Secretary of Energy, and ambassador to the UN. In other words, legislative, executive, cabinet and diplomatic experience.

George H. W. Bush was VP (which is at least as important as being First Lady), ambassador to the UN, congressman and director of the CIA. (He was also chair of the RNC for eighteen months.)

You could make a pretty good case for Hubert Humphrey, who was VP, senator and mayor, as well as being one of the major forces on the government side of the civil rights movement.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
That meme is the usual hype. Every 4 years we hear the election will be the most important in history, along with grossly inflated estimates of each candidate's qualifications. And occasionally there's a contender who boasts of their lack of political experience, playing the Outsider card. Zachary Taylor, Ross Perot, et al.

I would love to see someone like Jerry Brown run...he's held something like 47 political offices, mostly in a state with the population and GDP of a nation.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
This year's is the most important in MODERN nistory because of the utter unsuitability of Donald Trump to be president. In my lifetime there's never been a candidate even a fraction as disgusting.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
The contrast between the candidates makes Hillary look formidable (which may be why she arouses such fear and hostility among some voters--mostly the ones who swallow the Republican rumors and accusations without a thought).

Interesting stuff finally cracking about Trump--the Times story today about his tax-avoidance tricks (barely legal then, illegal now) doesn't add much that we didn't know, but there's also news about how he and his people destroyed emails and other correspondence relating to business cases when he was being sued. I hope someone makes headlines out of that--so that when he gets going on Hillary's email problems, his listeners will remember that he was the one who nearly "went to jail."
bartist
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Over the whole span of U.S. history, Harding would come close on the "most disgusting" metric. Even there, I think Trump has a distinct lead. Zachary Taylor, would compete on lack of experience (a major general who had never held office, but killed lots of Seminoles) and intelligence (his handwriting was described as "barely literate" and he had little formal schooling growing up). Taylor opponents often characterized his prized horse as smarter than its rider. Taylor died after a year in office from eating bad cherries at a picnic.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I keep seeing people repeating the meme that Hillary Clinton is the best qualified candidate for president in living memory. Well, her actual qualifications are eight years in the Senate and four as Secretary of State, and some for being First Lady.

Some? Uh, okay ...

She was also 1st lady of Arkansas for a decade.
But as a lawyer, she was far from a traditional 1st lady, often in on decisions and policy-making. Remember Bill running for Prez saying folks would get a 2-for-1 deal with the Clintons. There was friction with Al Gore because Hillary's power/influence was equal or greater than his. So while she doesn't have formal executive experience, she was right in the mix at both the state and federal level.

So Hillary was in two different presidential administrations, in the WH for 8 as a very close advisor/FL, and then Obama's Sec of State. So she's very familiar with the internal workings of the WH and how decisions are made. Plus knows how the Senate works as well as the diplomatic corps and cabinet.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I never thought being first lady of a fairly unimportant state was a particular qualification. My mother's old enough to remember Herbert Hoover who was very well qualified. Didn't work out too well.

Another pretty unqualified candidate was Wendell Willkie, who might actually have made a decent President, but probably not in 1940.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not good at living with cats but I like them. In Florida recently my favorite shells to collect were kitten's paws.

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Things are looking good for that asteroid strike in Cleveland tomorrow night.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I never thought being first lady of a fairly unimportant state was a particular qualification.

More weird dismissiveness.
She was 1st Lady of the country for 8 years.
But in AK she initially gained some executive experience.
20 years as a first lady involved in decision-making, 8 in the Senate, a handful as the top diplomat. Impressive resume and all-around governmental experience.

Also, the importance of the state is less important than the powers of the office. For instance, the TX governorship is designed to be rather weak, despite the size and significance of the state.

Really I thought Hillary could have hit the ground running in 2009, when the financial crisis put a premium on early effectiveness. And Obama would have been properly seasoned and experienced to take over now. Obama put together an iffy team filled with lightweights, imo, and relied too much on some U of Chicago types who proved unhelpful. Also, Obama would have ripped Trump to shreds...

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
Everybody should rip up Trump! I'd like that. I'd laugh about it.

Oh well, he's still alive.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
I had an odd dream where small bears were wrestling with Native Americans. Tonight, I eat the sacred mushroom and conclude my vision quest. I was interested to learn that a baseball has 108 stitches. And it's been 108 years for the Cubs. And that's the mysterious number on "Lost," but that a whole other ballgame. GO CUBS!

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, that will teach me for thinking I could record a game 7 on a four-hour disk.