Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euci0_BBmNE

Yeah! Ring a ding ding.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
And while we're at it, one of my favorite movie songs ever, from Tootsie, but not nominated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbe2DAs39M[/i]
bartist
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Weeds, I meant yambu's reference to "Miss Otis Regrets," not the Sinatra one. Yes, I have heard Come Fly with Me. Sorry for ambiguous posting.

I would have to have been trapped in an underground bunker since birth not to have heard CFwM.

Surprised It Might Be You didn't get a nom! I have to see what they fielded that year...prepare for outrage!

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Sorry, Weeds, I meant yambu's reference to "Miss Otis Regrets," not the Sinatra one. Yes, I have heard Come Fly with Me. Sorry for ambiguous posting.

I would have to have been trapped in an underground bunker since birth not to have heard CFwM.

Surprised It Might Be You didn't get a nom! I have to see what they fielded that year...prepare for outrage!

I have the feeling that "It Might Be You" was a song that existed before Tootsie and therefore was ineligible. If I'm wrong, outrageous indeed.

"Miss Otis Regrets" is Cole Porter at his high-campiest, but beautifully written and memorable.
gromit
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Never really cared for Miss Otis Regrets.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
And while we're at it, one of my favorite movie songs ever, from Tootsie, but not nominated.

It was nominated. It lost to "Up Where We Belong"

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

It was nominated. It lost to "Up Where We Belong"

Wow. So surprising. I like "Up Where We Belong," but it's nowhere near as good as "It Might Be You" IMO. Also shocked to find that IMBY was written by Dave Grusin (music) and Marilyn and Alan Bergman (lyrics). Grusin is a big favorite of mine, but M&BB are writers whose work I generally disdain. Here I don't. I always thought IMBY was written by Stephen Bishop, who sings it so persuasively.
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I like both songs, and "Up Where We Belong" fits so well with its movie. I like both of them better than "Eye of the Tiger" (which I much prefer in the doo-wop 50's version as done by Big Daddy.)

Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
I like both songs, and "Up Where We Belong" fits so well with its movie. I like both of them better than "Eye of the Tiger" (which I much prefer in the doo-wop 50's version as done by Big Daddy.)

"Eye of the Tiger" is trashy to the max but I must admit I like it too. And I really love "How Do You Keep the Music Playing?" (another anomaly from my non-favorites the Bergmans). 1982 was a remarkably good year for movie songs.

I must offer one more mini-rant against the Best Picture choice of Gandhi over Tootsie and E.T., a case of two bona fide classics losing out to snoozeworthy Oscar bait. I see red, and immediately start obsessing about Fargo v. The English Patient, High Noon and Singin' in the Rain (not even nominated) v.The Greatest Show on Earth, etc.
bartist
Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you hear the one about the guy who was too poor to get personalized plates so he changed his name to J3L2404?

[]

Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
So it appears Makemake has a moon. Which should be helpful in learning a bunch more about the dwarf planet.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
That was for Syd
And this is for Billy:

"I am hurt, though, Bernie, that you've been distancing yourself a little from me," Obama teased, teeing up a line about their shared liberal roots: "I mean, that's just not something that you do to your comrade."

Obama's always had nice comic timing.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
That was for Syd
And this is for Billy:

"I am hurt, though, Bernie, that you've been distancing yourself a little from me," Obama teased, teeing up a line about their shared liberal roots: "I mean, that's just not something that you do to your comrade."

Obama's always had nice comic timing.

Bernie liked the line too.
gromit
Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Thomas Frank on how/why/when the Dems ditched the working class. http://inthesetimes.com/article/19084/listen-liberal-thomas-frank-democratic-party-elites-inequality
Also some of his thought on education/meritocracy and production are provocative as well.
A good read.

My mother is just finishing up putting her 4 grandchildren through college. And it's taking up a major part of her life savings (and an inheritance). At least my nieces won't have student debt, but it's hard to see how that roughly$200K per kid is actually a good investment. And they have just gone to average mediocre universities.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it seems you could give them $10K for a year of travel, and then another $40K to live off during two years of internships. Plus give them $100K to invest. You'd save $50K while they'd have $100K and three interesting years instead of four of college. it's just hard to see how a degree from an okay school s worth $200K. Plus I believe a lot of that money my mother had to pay tax on as she withdrew it, so this might bump it up to around $250K per kid. Just as interest payments on student loans would add more as well.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
That's a generous grandmother, Gromit. I wasn't able to help my sons because I was working a minimum wage job. My younger son did work/study at Purdue plus Pell Grants, plus student loans. He got his graduate work at Cornell free. Now he's a millionaire with a job doing the physics for a big computer game company.

But my older son was all student loans. I've been helping him pay off his $80,000 dept. (no, he isn't a millionaire or a physicist.....)

See the Michael Moore movie about the country (I think it's Slovenia) where Americans can go to college free....and its in English.