Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Although my current office is about two blocks away from Fifth Avenue, I haven't checked out the St. Patrick's Day parade in decades. The main thing I remember about them is the aftermath--the guys slumped on the curbs, some asleep or unconscious. It doesn't give one a pleasant impression of the holiday, or of the Irish, or of NYC in general.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
carrobin wrote:
Although my current office is about two blocks away from Fifth Avenue, I haven't checked out the St. Patrick's Day parade in decades. The main thing I remember about them is the aftermath--the guys slumped on the curbs, some asleep or unconscious. It doesn't give one a pleasant impression of the holiday, or of the Irish, or of NYC in general.
If it helps that is not how actual Irish people in actual Ireland celebrate the Feast Day of their patron saint. But in thd US it is more an ethnic identity cepebration - which of course in Ireland they do not need - and one where Irish stereotypes are adopted by the non-Irish. Like most of the people vomitting curb side.

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
FWIW, the ancestors on the Irish side of my family were teetotalers.

Paddy walks into a bar and boasts, "I can tell you any brand of drink from one sip."
Drunken patron walks up and offers Paddy a glass of amber liquid.
Paddy takes a sip, then spits it out violently, exclaiming, "Good god, man, that's PISS."
"I know," says the drunk, "but WHOSE?"

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
LORNE or WHOEVER IS RUNNING THE SHOW NOW:

I think someone already mentioned this, but Dell's content filter (SonicWall CFS) is currently blocking this website. They can fix this, if they can contact the admin. and verify it is legitimate and reclassify it. Hope this helps.
knox
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
LORNE, BILLYWEED, CHILLY:

A followup to the above. You guys are continuing to be blocked by Dell's content filter, which is on a LOT of machines in North America, including one I use.

Could one of you contact these people...

http://cfssupport.sonicwall.com/Support/web/eng/newui/viewRating.jsp

...and use your authority (as admin. or moderator) to somehow make someone aware that 3rd Eye is not a gaming website. I don't see how this mis-rating can be good for the longterm health of your website.

Thanks, Rob D.
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I just hope the reclassification won't affect my winnings ....

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
I emailed Lorne.

Funny, G.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 am Reply with quote
Aren't we missing some folks?
I know Lorne and Chilly have developed other lives and interests.
But where's Joe, Gary, Marj ...?

Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Oct 2014 Posts: 278 Location: Winnipeg: It's a dry cold.
I'm here now. My vacation down in the States and a few days in Nassau. My days in Atlanta were good, but my time in my friends boat around Florida and then the flight to Nassau had some very bad happenings that were annoying beyond belief. I am too lazy to write about all the things that screwed me up.

I got back to Winnipeg today. I saw Deli Man in Atlanta last week. It was good. A documentary about Delicatessens. I'll have to see a few movies in Winnipeg now.

P.S. An annoying thing just happened on my way home. In a motel I was in had me nicely sleeping in a bed with bedbugs. Nice home-cumming. Mad

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
When I lived in Kenya one year, not only were bedbugs somewhat prevalent, but their bites could infect you with scabies. Scabies are these cute tiny spider-like creatures who tunnel under your skin and live there. The male mites will also pop out and walk along the top of your skin some before burrowing back under. lovely.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
Paul Theroux wrote a dark tale of some clueless Anglo in Africa who is mean to the woman who cleans and irons for him. She quits. He learns that the ironing was key to not having some bug burrow in from your clothes and lay eggs under your skin. Sounds like the scabies you describe.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Probably.
One way to get rid of bed bugs is to air out your bedding and expose it to sunlight, which supposedly either kills the bedbugs and scabies or just gets them to move along down the road (I was never clear which).

There's also chiggers, a different mite, which don't technically burrow into your skin. Instead they bite you and squirt in some digestive enzymes which break down the skin and then slurp up the resulting human soup with a straw-like facial appendage. Fairly ingenious. They will deposit larvae in the hole in your skin that they've sucked out, and have their babies born in your skin. Again, lovely.

But I'd guess he was referring to scabies.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Outside my window right now red lights are flashing, which isn't unusual, but they were blinking so long that I finally went to see what was happening. Looks like a police car rear-ended a taxi, and then another taxi rear-ended the police car, which is sandwiched between them, with another police car sitting behind the group. The second taxi is the only vehicle that looks damaged--its hood is crumpled back. I didn't even hear the crash, but I was talking on the phone earlier and the TV was on.

If my windows were cleaner, I'd try to take a photo and send it to NY1.
Syd
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
You can't go outside and take a picture? I mean, this is news! I certainly want to see it.

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
There were some people down there taking photos, I think, but it didn't occur to me to join them, or to raise the window (that would have meant moving a few stacks of books). The broken taxi is still sitting there with a police car behind it and another police car on the opposite side of the street. I guess they're waiting for a tow truck. It happened before 10 p.m., so it's taken them a long time to deal with the situation. One person was taken to an ambulance, but there didn't seem to be any rush--the ambulance just sat there for a while. Central Park West isn't usually so exciting.