Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
What is a yurl and why should it be made of tin, is what I want to know.

Saw 30 minutes of Stonehearst Asylum and felt the movie had abducted me in a Pattyhearst kind of way, so I bailed. So awful I only mention it in the lobby, as a personal anecdote of suffering. Utterly ridiculous.
I think it is a typo. It is supposed to be "tin yurt".

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12894 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
whiskeypriest wrote:
bartist wrote:
What is a yurl and why should it be made of tin, is what I want to know.

Saw 30 minutes of Stonehearst Asylum and felt the movie had abducted me in a Pattyhearst kind of way, so I bailed. So awful I only mention it in the lobby, as a personal anecdote of suffering. Utterly ridiculous.
I think it is a typo. It is supposed to be "tin yurt".

Something not desirable in Siberia because of the tin pest.

Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
All very funny, sort of, but the fact remains that tinyurl is one of the best things on the internet IMO, and all too rarely employed.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's a tiny url relevant to the discussion about real estate in NYC. Don't worry about reading the long article--it's the "Billionaires Haven" graphic that is most interesting. (I live on Central Park West now--quite a bit north of the "havens" shown here--and I can see a couple of these on the southern skyline when I come out of the subway on 103rd Street. Different worlds, indeed.)

http://tinyurl.com/kzybn58
gromit
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
The problem with tinyurl is that I don't like following blind links.
I like to know where my internet is going.
And if it is a link to the NYTimes or Youtube, then I need to put the url into a proxy server because they are not directly accessible in the PRofC.
But I'm not usually interested in pursuing a link to youtube anyway, even if it was direct, unless I'm really interested in the link/topic/wasting time.
So tinyearl has it's uses, but I prefer seeing the original link if it's not too long.
And there's always the option of making some text become the link, in which case the length of the url is irrelevant, and when you scroll over the text-link you see where you are headed ...

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
I was doing my picks for Reelviews' version of the Oscars and was rather surprised that after Boyhood, The Imitation Game and Birdman, my other picks were A Walk Among the Tombstones (is that film completely forgotten)? and Edge of Tomorrow, although Whiplash and Nightcrawler got my other two directing nods. I also found room on my ballot for Mr. Peabody & Sherman, behind The Wind Rises (a 2014 film on our ballot), Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon 2, but ahead of The Lego Movie. I'll probably be the only one voting for it, but damn, I like it.

By the way, since I consider Patricia Arquette to be a lead actress, my #1 supporting actress is ... Carrie Coon from Gone Girl. It's a weak category without Arquette. [My other nominations were Anna Kendrick from Into the Woods, Emma Stone and Andrea Riseborough from Birdman, and Keira Knightley from The Imitation Game.

I also was pleased to have the opportunity to nominate The One I Love for Best Actress, Art Direction and Original Screenplay.

Fortunately, since I haven't posted the ballot publicly, Billy won't know that I nominated American Sniper for three awards (all in technical categories) and Selma none (it just never wound up it the top five), or I nominated The Theory of Everything for only one award--and it was for Felicity Jones, not Eddie Redmayne, who would have been #7 on my ballot.

Last edited by Syd on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
And somehow I found no room at all for Godzilla.

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Billy won't know...

Aha. I haff my vays.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
. It's a weak category without Arquette. [My other nominations were Anna Kendrick from Into the Woods, Emma Stone and Andrea Riseborough from Birdman, and Keira Knightley from The Imitation Game.

I agree it's a weak category, but Carmen Ejogo's take on Coretta King in Selma was brilliant and deserved second place to Arquette. My other three would be (like you) Kendrick (Into the Woods), Vanessa Redgrave (Foxcatcher), and Reese Witherspoon, whose wry and funny performance in The Good Lie was much more interesting than her relatively blah turn in Wild.
gromit
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Was Wild any good?
It seems like a rather blah idea for a film ...

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I read somewhere that "Wild" would have drawn several Oscar nominations if it had a male protagonist instead of a woman. Sounds reasonable to me.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I read somewhere that "Wild" would have drawn several Oscar nominations if it had a male protagonist instead of a woman. Sounds reasonable to me.

Wild was made (in a much more interesting form) as Into the WIld a few years ago, with a male protagonist played by the (currently beleaguered) Emile Hirsch. It drew fewer nominations than Wild. I think Wild's nominations came from the fact that Best Actress was a weak category and (in support) it was felt that Laura Dern was overdue for some sort of recognition.
bartist
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Into the Wild was more interesting because the wilderness seeking protagonist was, well, off his rocker. Haven't heard about Hirsch's beleaguered condition, am googling...

....oh dear. Looking at a nickle in the Utah slammer.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Was Wild any good?
It seems like a rather blah idea for a film

Oh, well, Gromit........you're a guy. I loved Into the Wild......both films from books I read. The guy Wild was trying to leave his past (family life) behind and find a kind of freedom through independence. The girl Wild was trying to leave her past (heroin and promiscuity) behind and find healing after her mother's death. Both true stories. Obviously the outcome for girl Wild was better.

Maybe Wild is a girl's film. Perhaps girl's need a different kind of role model than being someone's wife or love interest.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I suspect I'd like the Reese version better. ITW ultimately left me just pissed at the guy's foolishness (ditto the book).

Interesting reflection on mortality from Oliver Sacks....

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opinion/oliver-sacks-on-learning-he-has-terminal-cancer.html?_r=0

I learned a lot about neurology from this fellow.