Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

gromit
Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I could see it being an awkward time to watch World's Greatest Dad.
Though I'm sure it'll stay in your memory now.

I thought it was interesting and largely successful, but wasn't wowed by it. It's a small film, and kind of twisted in the its premise. I did think RW was good in the role. And some of the social critique works well.

I've seen folks praising One Hour Photo, but as I recall it stayed in one tone throughout and got a bit glum and dull.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
One Hour Photo is exactly as described by gromit. Not a terrible movie, just slightly overrated (Robin Williams in an offbeat role!!!) and one-note as can be. In the area of "unexpected roles for Robin Williams," World's Greatest Dad easily tops both OHP and Insomnia, the third in the troika.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. Don Pardo, 96, the "voice" of SNL for 40 years. One of the great voices, and he still had it to the end.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
I know Pardo was the voice of "Saturday Night Live," but I'll always connect him mostly with "Laugh-In" because he introduced himself so often. Had no idea he was that old--even older than my mother--but I knew he had to be getting on up there.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I will always connect him with Jeopardy!.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
If you're fascinated with voice overs watch Lake Bell's In a World. A quirky
film with some funny moments and funny voices.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Second that.

And here you go, St. Louis....you need to just shut up, bend over, and take it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/19/sunil-dutta-police-washington-post_n_5692266.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that the more weaponry the cops have, the more frightened they seem to be. And of course if you're scared, you try to scare the other guys, so you get more weapons. I don't expect cops to act like the ones who brought in Paul's Grandfather in "A Hard Day's Night"--but in NYC the police cars have a slogan that says something like "Service, Courtesy, Respect." Something like that, anyway--like Rick Perry, I always forget one in a group of three. But they seem to be demanding those things from the rest of us rather than applying them to the police force.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
When I was a cabby in NYC, I turned a corner in mid town and a cop walked backwards across the street waving to people on the sidewalk to cross. The cop was right in front of me and I had to swerve to miss him. I stopped of course and was sure I was going to get blasted. The cop came over to me and he apologized, saying, "I'm sorry, I should have looked." I said, "Thank you!" and drove off. What a nice policeman.

I always had good relations with the NYC police.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
My experiences with cops have been okay--but I'm a white woman (and now I'm a white woman with a cane), and I could probably hold up a bank and walk out unsuspected (don't think I haven't thought about it). But the confrontations between cops and the people they regard as threatening have become more frequent and violent. In fact, there seems to be a rising trend toward violence and anger over the past year or two, just in general, globally. (And no, I don't blame Obama.)
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Amazing what one runs across in Paul Krugman's blog sometimes. Here's a great condensed education about the Roman Empire. I haven't read the whole thing, but the maps are worth studying if you have any interest in the history. (Once I've finished it, I may be at a level with a nineteenth-century upper-class English schoolboy, except I still won't know much Latin.)

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/19/5942585/40-maps-that-explain-the-roman-empire
yambu
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Amazing what one runs across in Paul Krugman's blog sometimes. Here's a great condensed education about the Roman Empire. I haven't read the whole thing, but the maps are worth studying if you have any interest in the history. (Once I've finished it, I may be at a level with a nineteenth-century upper-class English schoolboy, except I still won't know much Latin.)
I had five years of Latin. Just for brain food, I am now taking The Great Courses in Latin Grammar. I had forgotten how irregular and just plain messy it can be.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
As they say, Vidi vici veni. Can't say I don't know Latin!
yambu
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
.... Here's a great condensed education about the Roman Empire. I haven't read the whole thing, but the maps are worth studying if you have any interest in the history.....http://www.vox.com/2014/8/19/5942585/40-maps-that-explain-the-roman-empire
Carrob these maps are amazing. It shows how clueless most educators can be in utilizing them.

It used to be that all second year Latin students got Julius Caesar, because this no nonsense general wrote plain. But St. Jerome of the 8th Century AD is now the default guy. He translated the New Testament from ancient Hebrew and Greek into the Latin Vulgate, or common man's tongue. It was a breeze to read back then, and is still relatively easy for today's student.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't learn anything much about the Roman Empire in school, apart from the fact that it was very big and dominated the western world for hundreds of years. "Julius Caesar" and "Gladiator" and "I, Claudius" and "Spartacus" gave glimpses into certain parts of it, but I never actually read a history of how it began, though I did have a notion of how it ended. (And I took Latin in high school, so for a while I knew the rudiments, but all I remember now are amo, amas, amat and veni, vidi, vinci. And I'm not sure I got any of those right.)