Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Mirgun has been in Istanbul for the past several weeks. Her father, Erol Akyavas, had a huge retrospective at the Museum Of Modern Art Istanbul. Mirgun and her mother were on TV, including CNN, and in numerous newspaper articles related to her dad's art. They were big news until the protests broke out. She's been involved with some of the marches and is deeply concerned for her country.

Her father was honored with his face on a Turkish postage stamp. The first Turkish modern artist to receive the honor.

Last edited by Marc on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Marc
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 pm Reply with quote
oops. double-post.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic! So impressive I could plotz. Tell Mirgun that!
Marc
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I came out of a divorce feeling like a useless piece of shit only to end up with such an exceptional woman and family in my life.

Last edited by Marc on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I can't believe I came out of a divorce feeling like a useless piece of shit only to end with such an exceptional woman and family in my life.

Change "useless piece of shit" to "clinically depressed person" and you have my story too.
gromit
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
Have you been to Turkey?
I took a spin around the Sea of Marmara and down the coast a little a few years back. People were very friendly and helpful. The history and sites were impressive. Istanbul really a world-class city.
Nice place.

I use Mirgun's father's fortress painting as one of my usual desktop rotations.

The demonstrations in Turkey are interesting. FInally a little pushback to the authoritarian tendencies of the gov't. I believe Turkey has the more journalists in jail than any other country, plus an ongoing weird set of treason/conspiracy/corruption trials in a purge/emasculation of the once very powerful military. But once you start messing with daily life and people's alcohol -- urban protesters unhappy at the new 10:PM last call among other grievances -- you start riling people up enough to take action.

Hopefully, things can be channeled in a peaceful democratic manner. Erdogan seems unwilling to compromise, but some of the other top leaders are makign conciliatory statements and gestures.

The tear gas and beatings seemed awfully reactionary and heavy-handed. Turkey relies a good deal on foreign investment and tourism, so can't afford to have protests/riots go on too long, or for the gov't to crackdown too harshly. We'll see.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I can't believe I came out of a divorce feeling like a useless piece of shit only to end up with such an exceptional woman and family in my life.

Marc, Mirgun is certainly exceptional and a wonderful caring woman. Hey, she puts up with you. Very Happy

Please give her my regards when you talk or write to her.

Gromit, yes Turkey has more journalists in prison than any other country.

When Erdogan won the election (by a mile), I knew right away that putting an Islamist party in power was a bad situation for Ataturk's country. And even though he claimed that he wasn't planning to put through Islamist laws, I didn't believe him for a second. He is slowly closing the gap between Mosque and State. Egypt is having the same problem.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Fantastic! So impressive I could plotz. Tell Mirgun that!

Say I seconded it!

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
A pic of a young modern woman being tear-gassed in Istanbul.

Guess she looked like a threat ....

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

I can only say how glad I am to read this Marc!! I spent time in my absence from the forums thinking about people and you came in many times with a sigh of dismay and fear that you had slid into depths of sorrow. Still remember your adage about never dating anyone older than yourself...thought that was pretty damning at the time. Glad to see you in a better way.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
So Ms. Stone walks in after the Directors and Crew and everyone titters.....just another example of their 'Shabby Chic' attitudes I guess!

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
That's so cool, Mirgun's dad on the stamp.

Can't say I've had any redeeming post-divorce aftermath, but I do like the freedom, the coming and going when one pleases. Yeah, I'd be the guy in No Exit, pounding on the door...

Had to look up "plotz," which I was relieved to discover didn't describe a digestive function.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Of course, plotz is Yiddish, which I maintain is the funniest language in the world. Some say it is not a language, but a dialect.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Some meshugah schmendrik from my shikse ex-wife's mishpochah tried to convince me that Yiddish was nothing but a variant of Plattdeutsch, but I knew better, thanks to my Jewish friends in middle school in Boston. As much Yiddish as I learned there, I'm surprised I never heard "plotz." I'm so excited to learn a new word I could plotz. Definitely the funniest language in the world.