Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
lshap wrote:
billyweeds wrote:
My Type A stepson Eric Schaeffer has a new series featuring Dolores and me playing only slightly exaggerated versions of ourselves. Watch the first episode here (only about four minutes long; this is a web series, folks).

http://tinyurl.com/chtl8hv

The slightly more R-rated trailer is also very funny IMO.

http://tinyurl.com/cvnyrpg

Dolores is hilarious! You're not too bad yourself, Mr. Weeden!

I keep forgetting to tell you, that I watched the first link. I've never seen Dolores work. Oh, I've seen here on the street, I think it was in Mind the Gap, but she is really terrific in this. You're not so bad yourself. Actually doing very little is often harder than anything else, and you're very impressive.
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Listening to "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." I'll be back later to watch the other link.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
carrobin wrote:
This has got me thinking of starting a religion myself.

I'll join you, Carol. But let me ask you one thing. Do you have to believe in God?

Certainly not in Our Brief Life's Unholy Paradox, OBLUP. Anyone who believes in God, (the one who is worshipped as someone who actually gives a shit about are brief lives), are banished from OBLUP!
carrobin
Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I do believe in God, I just don't believe in organized religion. Mine would be a very disorganized religion. And you can be an atheist, as long as you're not evangelical about it.
bartist
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:43 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I do believe in God, I just don't believe in organized religion. Mine would be a very disorganized religion. And you can be an atheist, as long as you're not evangelical about it.

So you're a Unitarian, then.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
Actually, I just consider myself a free-range Christian. I haven't gone to church since Rev Caliandro of the Marble Collegiate Church on Fifth Avenue retired. (He was Norman Vincent Peale's assistant till Peale retired, and I always preferred his style--Peale preached the same sermon every Sunday, with different anecdotes, but Caliandro had ideas and opinions. My cousin liked him so much that she joined the church, though I never did.) Marble could be unitarian--it welcomes gays, has lots of music, offers lots of charity and benefits to the community. It was once Presbyterian, but you'd never know it. (P.S. That's where Trump married Marla Maples, and Liza Minnelli married that weird guy she divorced shortly afterward. My cousin helped out at the weddings.)
yambu
Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
carrobin wrote:

So you're a Unitarian, then.
So you believe in God and His Ten Suggestions.

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Belief in God doesn't necessarily mean belief in the Old Testament--though those rules that Moses came down the mountain with do make good sense. (Can't help but wonder about the other five--the ones on the stone that Mel Brooks' Moses dropped. Maybe one was "When the New World is discovered, all Americans shalt own guns.")
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/swinton-under-glass-new-offering-from-moma/

Waltzing past mah Tilda? Is it art?

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am Reply with quote
Read about that in the Times. I think of it as being something like reading the phone book--as in, I'd go to see George Clooney even if he was just sleeping in a capsule.
bartist
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe Alan Bates? Who would be quite good at it, given his present circumstances.

Seriously, yes, it does seem like the phone book thing....a clever and whimsical way to think about fame and its aura....makes you think about a person's identity apart from the things you usually think of them doing. Or that the public normally sees as setting them apart. So, an actor who doesn't move or act or have much "presence."

Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Tilda has been doing a lot of interesting things.Recently she's in some of the music videos for Bowie's new tunes. They play on the fact that oddly Swinton and Bowie look alike.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
On second thought, as much as I love Carol's spokespeople, I really do like Bart's religion.

Guess I really am an agnostic!
bartist
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Wecome to the COHS. I've had a recent HS moment when I clicked on the streetview at google maps for the Pompeii archeological site. Wow.

For some weird reason, though, the other site at Ercolano (orig. "Herculaneum") eludes me. I know it's there and is partially excavated and has buildings in much better preservation (due to more complete and rapid burial by pyroclastic flows), but the indexing sux and I can't seem to pinpoint it on the satellite map. When I find it, I'm sure I will be saying "cacca sagrada!"

Swinton and Bowie do have an odd resemblance.

Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
If Lorne Michaels were still rolling out movie spin-offs of SNL sketches, Swinton and Bowie would be naturals for Pat and Chris, the couple so androgynous that nobody knew whether they were male or female. And with that cast it might even have a chance of being watchable.