Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

jeremy
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
...or talked at...or down to...please don't go.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:47 am Reply with quote
Melody,

Good to hear you support the mass solicitation of this site. I think it would be great to have tons of ppl reading the posts, the reviews (yes, I plan to dust off my reviewing hat, which has collected way too much dust over the years)

This place is so cool... i want to share it with others... much different than my drink, which is mine all mine... he he

marantzo
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quote
Happy Birthday Daffy!

I didn't get you anything.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:01 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Drinking while posting is not encouraged. It's mandatory.

Morning has turned to night here. We've been having some really wild weather. I white-knuckle drove home from seeing Ambassador Masakela yesterday, praying that lightning would not strike a tree to fall on me. Today, the storms are far ahead of schedule. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
marantzo
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
Marilyn you seem to have an unhealth fear of storms. Anything to do with The Wizard of Oz?

The weather up here has been freaky also. We get a nice warm day and wham, the next day is freezing. It's been like that for almost two months now. A week ago we has a thunder snow storm. You don't see or here that often.
Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:15 am Reply with quote
Gary, I've been afraid of tornadoes my whole life (not an irrational fear, you must admit), and I've had some bad experiences with lightning. It came into my home through the phone lines one time, and I've had powerlines severed and dancing in front of my car on the road twice. Loyola University Medical Center here is a leader in treating vicitims of lightning strikes, because we've had so many poor souls thus afflicted.
Melody
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
Marilyn,

It was like that here the whole month of April. Two of my friends' houses got struck by lightning in San Antonio. TWO!! I've never even KNOWN anyone whose house got struck, much less two in the same week. Two different storms. One of my friends, her house was catching on fire from inside the mechanical closet. Luckily she was home when it happened, heard a crackling noise and called 911, or else her house (and pets) would be history. The other friend had lightning hit her chimney, which traveled down and blew up all her electrical equipment -- TVs, computers, stereos, etc. What a mess.

Anyway, I emphathize with your spring weather. I hear basements are lovely this time of year.
Confused

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:39 am Reply with quote
Mel,

Are you changing the color and font of your text with each new post or is there an option somewhere to set some defaults?

I found the default sig options, but nothing so far for new posts.

Melody
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Are you changing the color and font of your text with each new post or is there an option somewhere to set some defaults?

Chilly,

I'm changing it every time. I was hoping there was a way to use the "Code" function to set some sort of default, but so far have heard nothing from the big brains I beseeched earlier.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:03 am Reply with quote
Good to see all the usual suspects! Smile

Thank you, everyone who made this possible. I am unable to figure any of this stuff out , and youse did a really nice job. Very Happy

I have one question, though: If certain people -- who shall remain nameless -- are not being invited to join, what happens when the nets are thrown wide and others are invited to join? Don't you run the risk of CPWSRN coming on board incognito? Confused

Wow, a veritable embarrassment of emoticons ... Embarassed
Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
He won't be able to hide for long. If he's detected, he's gone.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the confirmation, mel. Would be nice to make that size default. The text is a bit hard to read, even for my tastes.

Marilyn
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:29 am Reply with quote
You know, this site is just getting better and better! So much we can do (so much to learn, too, but I dig it)!

Marc, Alex, Lorne--YOU ROCK!!!!
Melody
Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Here's a message from Jbottle at the old Third Eye, posted around 11:20 CST:

Brownie: Look, I know you guys didn't call me names, it was an empty accusation. I freely admitted that I had called the site a "wankfest" before I had even lurked in order to respond to your "disappointment" post as a way of saying hey, no prob with what you guys are doing not that my opinion matters.

Hippie was the first to post a link to the site on NYTFF: Music, just so everybody is clear on this. I checked it out, naturally and responded to you and with the usual light attack on poker, as has been our history. I posted here essentially to let you guys know that the "wankfest" comment wasn't supposed to do anything but bait hippie, who had posted "so long, suckers" or whatever. In the same way that you said that you couldn't respond on the NYTFF because your posts were being deleted, I thought I had to respond here because once I had actually lurked and my name was used, I wanted to be clear.

Also: The term "wankfest" is inherently funny, or so I thought. I'm also not trying to minimize the battle between trying to hold ground in hostile territory vs. colonize a brave new world, but the argument was exaggerated because essentially I have trouble taking changes to the NYTFF, or the outrage those changes engendered, very seriously.

I've got no interest in flaming the new site, and didn't mean to fuck with you on your turf. I'm rarely that serious on the NYTFF or here, I thought that was pretty much understood, but of course I realize that I have my real, earnest, honest to goodness asshole moments.

Anyway, as far as it taking ballz or whatever to come over here, I didn't really want to, other than to set the record straight, and I'm doing so again since you took my accusation of "name calling" seriously.

I hate having to post in earnest anywhere, but thought it necessary, and don't want to burden anyone here with dumb stuff. I'll respond once to whatever your reaction to this post, if any, may be, but am worried if I say "lighten up" you'll just go ballistic or whatever.

Sinc.,

jbottle

Posted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:41 am Reply with quote
I don't know how to take this. I have no objection to Jbottle, but I really believe he is oilcan. I can't see how we can let him in unless he owns up to this long-standing deception and promises not to resurrect oilcan.