Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

carrobin
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
Billy Crystal was terrific, and the presenters' banter wasn't as lame as usual. But considering the length of the show--including a Cirque de Soleil performance, no less--why were the nominees for best song cut down to a few lines from each? (And were there only two nominees? I wasn't paying close attention when they were announced.) Still, I did enjoy the show more than I usually do, and I even liked some of the commercials (I'm an Ellen fan). Happy to see Plummer and Meryl win, though a bit annoyed that The Artist swept so many--maybe I'll be less so when I see the film.
Marj
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
I agree. It was a much better show than we've had in years, and Crystal wasn't even in top form. It's just he makes the difficult look easy.

I don't remember the last time Meryl Streep won, but this was a real surprise and no matter what, this is what I love about the Oscars. Not having seen either picture, I had no vested interest, so her win was more than just an upset. Now I can say, I've seen Meryl win an Oscar!!

PS. I swear I predicted Allen's win as I walked out of the theater.
daffy
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
"Let's get out of here!" might be my favorite acceptance speech ever.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
billyweeds wrote:
Syd--These are the ones you're rooting for, right? Rather than the ones you think will win?

That was my list for the Oscar contest. I didn't expect to do very well since I knew there was a possibility of an Artist sweep; I got 9 of 24, which is pretty sad. I was most surprised by the Streep win, but that category was wide open. Her speech was nice. She seems to be a nice person.

At least I did nail the animated feature and short. "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" gets a bit too sweet, but it's a fine piece of animation.

I don't know why there were only two song nominees. There were several songs from "Rango" which deserved to be nominated.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
The Oscars hosted by Billy Crystal had a Borscht Belt vibe that could only appeal to people over the age of 60. I predict the ratings will be a big bust. I can't imagine any young people who would have found the whole tired spectacle at all entertaining.
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Christopher Guest directed the Wizard of Oz focus group sketch. I should have known given the cast.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
The Oscars hosted by Billy Crystal had a Borscht Belt vibe that could only appeal to people over the age of 60. I predict the ratings will be a big bust. I can't imagine any young people who would have found the whole tired spectacle at all entertaining.

I'd like to see Chris Rock host again. He'd get some people upset, but he's actually funny. I loved his bit about doing voiceovers.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Christopher Guest directed the Wizard of Oz focus group sketch. I should have known given the cast.

I thought Eugene Levy was the most difficult to recognise.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Marc wrote:
Kind of mythought as well. I thought he was less funny than I expected and his opening eoutines were tored. At least he appeared less drug onduced coma like than Franco did last year.

As for the winners, I:m sure they are partying heavily in SASSY land. And I was being annoyed with all the awards for The Artist on billy's behalf - I haven't seen it - until the very end when the dorector.thanked "Billy Wilder, Billy Wilder, and Billy Wilder.' I am now more inclined to look favorably on the movie.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
"Tored" was supposwd to be tired. Stupid Android keyboaed. Cool

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not having seen either picture, I had no vested interest, so her win was more than just an upset.

An upset? Marj, I thought Streep's win was cast in iron months ago.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
You'll have to take my word for it, but I picked every non-technical award. However, this is not evidence of my insight, but rather an all too easy reading of the precursors awards and the thoughts of the cognoscenti.

Were these the most predicable Oscars ever?

The Academy need to do something to make the Oscars more than an end of season coronation.

Last edited by jeremy on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
Not having seen either picture, I had no vested interest, so her win was more than just an upset.

An upset? Marj, I thought Streep's win was cast in iron months ago.

I was expecting Viola Davis to win.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
Syd wrote:

I thought Eugene Levy was the most difficult to recognise.

I didn't.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote
Marc--I totally agree with you about Crystal, and the twitter world was abuzz with "Who the heck is Billy Crystal?" Which is shocking but in view of the fact that he was kind of lame, I think is poetic justice.

Streep may have been the early favorite, but more recently Viola Davis was heavily favored, so Streep's win was rather an upset.