Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
Politics maybe tend to get uglier when a fringe movement gets undue power -- a party run by centrists isn't going to be so virulently partisan. The Repugs seem to have been taken over by the fringe, and the Across-the-Aisle handshakers have lost control of the wheel.

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And--to answer Joe's question--never once during the entire horrible presidency of George W. Bush did I hear the Democrats say "getting rid of Bush is our #1 priority."

To be fair, BWeeds, I think some Democrats were saying that very thing, but I basically agree that partisanship has trumped getting legislation passed (or bad legislation, like the Bush tax cuts, rescinded) far more in this administration.
daffy
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Whitney Houston.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
gromit
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Sad.
Would assume drugs played a role.
Some people can't handle success.
Feel bad for Cissy Houston ...

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
daffy wrote:
R.I.P. Whitney Houston.

Wow. I knew she'd had her problems, but still a shock.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Her first album was chock-full of infectious songs; a classic pop album. I could take or leave most of her later stuff,

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
gromit
Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't care much for her songs, but she had the voice and the looks and a world of talent. A real complete package and she threw it away for nonsense.

She also had a real good support network of family in the industry -- mom Cissy, cousin Dionne Warwick, and a cautionary drug tale in Dionne's sister Dee Dee Warwick who also had a nice singing career.
Did you know that Cissy Houston did the original Midnight Train to Georgia and backed up Aretha on many of her hits?

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I really like "How Will I Know" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me." I thought she was at her best with her up-tempo (disco?) numbers. Though she could do a mean torch song, too.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:52 am Reply with quote
I agree about the up-tempo. I think her "And I Will Always Love You" was terrible, and drained the song of its emotions for show-off pulverizing vocals. And I just wasn't crazy about the message in "The Greatest Love of All" which should be about the good kind of self-love, but just ends up sounding narcissistic and empty. But her early stuff was spunky and fun, if not something I've ever felt the need to go back and listen to again, and before she took on the diva persona she presented a playful, spontaneous quality that was winning.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Here's an interesting and intriguing sidelight on Whitney Houston's passing: next Saturday night Maya Rudolph is scheduled to be the guest host on SNL. One of Rudolph's staples is her wicked impersonation of Houston. Will they use it in a potentially offensive but also potentially moving manner, or will they leave it alone?
bartist
Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
My smudgy crystal ball says "leave it alone" I think.

Looking at her wiki bio, I see she and I share a birthday; she was six years younger than me. Way too early to step off.

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
So pleased to see Martin Scorsese be given the BAFTA Fellowship tonight (they should have thrown a knighthood in as well). Loquacious host, Stephen Fry, towered over Marty, but that's the only thing diminutive about this giant of cinema. He gave a lovely and gracious speech. An unduly modest man and true cinephile, he only grew in stature in my eyes (if that were possible),

In other news, The Artist cleaned-up; but more on that later.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
bartist
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Mystified by the reception TA seems to be getting from award groups. Nice film, charming, but not great in any way. But this chat has happened already, and I just have to shrug and say "a chacun, son gout."

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Mystified by the reception TA seems to be getting from award groups. Nice film, charming, but not great in any way. But this chat has happened already, and I just have to shrug and say "a chacun, son gout."

Agree with everything about this post. (Except the French quote, which is usually "chacun a son gout.") But whatever--or "chacun...."
gromit
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

We had Bosnian neighbors for five years - sounds about right. They were also huge smokers, which seems to be prevalent in E. Europe. Just curious - what is your connection to that part of the world? Or do you like less touristy travel destinations?

Some of the Bosnian refugee community here has returned to Europe, though not sure if they've gone all the way home.

Maybe an E Europe thing, compounded by Turkish and Muslim culture. Since they're not supposed to drink -- though of course folks do -- smoking is a big substitute -- and then there's also the hookah cafe culture.

My uncle was King Zog.
Okay, not really, but I did just manage a King Zog reference.
Just visited the region.
Croatia and Montenegro are legit travel destinations, at least for Euros (Italians, Germans, Austrians primarily).
The other places a bit more out of the way and less touristed. Though Lonely Planet has Albania as it's #1 2011 destination. But the tourist stuff is primarily down in the south where we didn't go.

I ran into a Belgian UN peacekeeper in Pec, Kosovo, and after we talked a little over breakfast he eyed me warily and asked if I was there on business. He was pretty surprised to run into tourists, saying that he could think of a lot of other places to go to on holiday.

Bosnia also has a rather limited tourist infrastructure, as you'd might expect in a war-divided country. Sarajevo has some charm, and it was interesting to stand at the corner of the Latin Bridge, where Gavril Princip lucked into gunning down the Archduke and his wife, after the plot seemed to be over. Apparently during the Tito days, they put prints of Princip's footsteps into the sidewalk, which was a national monument and he was considered a hero. Not every Serb who crumbles a colonial empire. Unfortunately it was Sunday so the City Museum was closed and we couldn't see the preserved "footprints." Still it's amazing to stand on the spot where history took place.

I'd be surprised of many Bosnians have returned. Though possibly. I guess more likely for Bosniaks.

One other interesting tidbit: any highway signs in Bosnia and Kosovo (and maybe elsewhere, I forget) that had Belgrade listed had a large red X spray painted over the name. For signs where the Serbian name of a place was listed under the Bosnian name, there were also red X's over the Serbian name. The UN decided to put names on more than one language to avoid getting bogged down in disputes.
So even the highway signs bore witness to the underlying animosity in the region.