Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Marj
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I keep forgetting to mention - for those that have HBO my sister's documentary will begin airing on Valentine's Day. Right now they're airing a five minute interview with her. Considering we're twins, I'm a little hesitant to add that, but there you go.

Btw. The doc, called "The Loving Story" is not without some flaws, so please don't think we can't discuss it, because I'm here.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy for your sister. If you talk to her give her a Mazel Tov for me. Very Happy
yambu
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
....One way of making it equal without stepping on the toes of religious institutions is for everyone to get civil unioned -- that's all the government would provide to make folks legally bound together. Those who wanted to get "married" in a religious service can do so separately. That's essentially the way it works today in practice anyway. Just formally make it clear that the government is in the legal contract business -- civil unions (or call it legal marriage or whatever) -- and religious groups can tack on whatever religious marriage rituals.
We had this very experience in St. Petersburg, Russia. The civil part took ten minutes. The Orthodox part took about two hours. This was followed by the bride and groom laying flowers at one of the many war memorials.
Don't they have compulsory civil services in most of Europe? The couple goes to City Hall and signs the register?
bartist
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Do you understand how much I loathe the Republican party?

I wasn't at all clear on that until now.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad that the Puritans didn't land in Canada (though it wasn't Canada yet). Of course they couldn't because the British threw them out before The Netherlands got sick of them. If only George III wasn't such an idiot, or actually insane, the U.S.of A would not have had these problems with the large loony branch of the religious.
gromit
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Washington state lawmakers voted to approve gay marriage Wednesday, setting the stage for the state to become the seventh in the nation to allow same-sex couples to wed.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
From the Huff, here's Newt on gay marriage:

"....It's pretty simple: marriage is between a man and a woman. This is a historic doctrine driven deep into the Bible, both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament, and it's a perfect example of what I mean by the rise of paganism. The effort to create alternatives to marriage between a man and a woman are perfectly natural pagan behaviors, but they are a fundamental violation of our civilization....."

He goes on to call for a Constitutional Amendment, when he knows full well that with seven states already having ratified same-sex marriage, and more to come, an Amendment would have no chance.
inlareviewer
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Brief re-entry, taking a break from Drama Critics tsuris, soon-to-be-resigning-from-the-Times trauma, reluctant-relocation-from-10-years-domicile agitation, and post-maternal-demise fragility, while pointedly avoiding discourse on politics and religion -- respectively, the third and fourth veils of illusion that humanity fashions to obscure The Realities of Existence, thank you, Tom Robbins -- just to ask:

Are there going to be Blanches this annum? Kindly inform if so, or no. Thanks heaps. Au revoir, mon cineastics.

inla out

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen near enough films this year to make much of a contibution to the nominations but I would definitely hope that there will be the Blanches this year. Sadly, Lorne has been AWOL for far too long so that makes the Blanches difficult to produce. Why he hasn't fessed up to the actual reason that he hasn't been here is frustrating. I hope there is/are someone/a few people on here who know how to get it done. You know, computer savy.

Oh well.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
I will be leaving shortly for our flight to Nassau (Bahamas, not Long Island). I'm sure I'll be sadly missed but don't cry for me Third Eye Filmitinia, I am taking my ncomputer with me.
gromit
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:

Are there going to be Blanches this annum? Kindly inform if so, or no. Thanks heaps. Au revoir, mon cineastics.
inla out

This year was exceptionally unexceptional.
I think we should Blanche last year again.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:

inla out

This year was exceptionally unexceptional.
I think we should Blanche last year again.

Not true. This was a remarkable year, just not noticed by the Academy, whose nominations are exceptionally lame.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Well, now ya know. Laughing
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I keep forgetting to mention - for those that have HBO my sister's documentary will begin airing on Valentine's Day. Right now they're airing a five minute interview with her. Considering we're twins, I'm a little hesitant to add that, but there you go.

Btw. The doc, called "The Loving Story" is not without some flaws, so please don't think we can't discuss it, because I'm here.

Just watched your sister's interview. She's charming and articulate and attractive, and the movie sounds like a must-see. Flaws schmaws--we'll talk after I see it. Got it TiVo'd for February 14.

Of course, that's the day I'm scheduled to film for the (yes!!!!) Coen Brothers, so don't know when I'll get to see it.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
bartist wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Well, now ya know. Laughing

And every single solitary syllable out of any of their imbecilic mouths just cements my feeling. Their deranged hatred of President Obama is odious beyond description.