Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

bartist
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Free popcorn!

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well I observed Remembrance Day yesterday. Listening to the CBC in the morning as they gave tribute to the soldiers from the World Wars and beyond with comments and interviews with ones who were there. The played The Band Played Waltzing Matilda as they do every Remembrance Day and it brought tears to my eyes as it does whenever I hear it. If you don't know this song or want to here it, this is the it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

In the afternoon I went out with my red poppy on my jacket and picked up some things I needed for my trip.
yambu
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Gary. I had never heard it before. I thought I had heard all of Pete Seeger.
marantzo
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
It's not Pete Seeger, it's Eric Bogle.
yambu
Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Hrumph!
marantzo
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Bogle is a Scotsman who moved to Australia in the late 60's. He wrote that song and many others.

For me it's the most moving song about war. It was written and recorded in 1971. I heard it the first time when I was living in NY.

Glad you liked it yam.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Always favored the Pogues' version of that song. Those last few lines get me every time I hear it.

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Well folks, I'm driving down south tomorrow morning. It seems like the roads will be good and no bad weather. I hope they're correct. Atlanta for 10 or 12 days and then off to Medellin. Planning to take a trip from there to Nassau, I haven't seen my friend there for about four years.

The weather in Winnipeg has been great since I've been back Not even any snow on the ground.
bartist
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Had a bit of snow here, but nothing sticking. Drive safe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/magazine/werner-herzog-lives-dangerously.html?_r=1&ref=magazine

I don't know why Germans don't dig this guy.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
That was like Werner Herzog for Dummies (or Germans).
A jumble of sensationalist anecdotes with little or no context. Almost any other Herzog interview is more interesting, when he gets to discuss things and go on tangents, etc. And when was the last time Werner made a film in German and/or Germany anyway?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
That's the nature of the "Talk" column in the NYT Sunday mag - just gives a sample, nothing remotely in-depth. Thought this gave a taste of Herzog that would make some readers look around for more.

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Bart, The drive was safe and fast. As soon I left Fargo I hit a heavy snowfall and I figured it was going to be a tough trip, but I got through the snowfall pretty fast and I was happy again, then I hit another one but got through that one fast also. Clean and bright the rest of the way. though chilly with a very strong wind. Another bonus was lack of traffic and the 75mph speed limit. That means 80 to me. I'm in S.Sioux City now and heading for Mt. Vernon tomorrow.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
I'm sure I read two separate ones. I've meant to e-mail you forever (and still mean to) but this has been, employment-wise, the Semester of Woes.

Understand how life can get busy. Look forward to a future email.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
This is something that has haunted me my entire adult life:

The summer of 1962 I was touring Europe with my writing partner David Finkle, and we stopped by the Venice Biennale (sp?), an art expo. We signed a guest book and realized that our buddy Peter Wallace had signed it moments earlier. We enjoyed the show but kept looking for Peter. It was a very large show, and outside, so we never tracked Peter down.

A few days later we heard that Peter had fallen off a mountain in Greece just a day or two after we missed him in Venice. We kept thinking: if only we had met up with him, who knows what might have happened? We might have teamed up and continued our journey together and he might never have wound up in Greece at that time. Well, it's fate, but it's the kind of thing that stays with you. He was a great guy, never using his status as "Mike Wallace's Son" to his advantage. He might even have influenced his kid brother Chris to stay away from right-wing politics.

Wow. What a touching story. And sad that his influence wasn't around for his brother Chris.

marantzo
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure everyone on here is will not be able to sleep tonight if they don't know where I am. I am in Mt. Vernon IL. And tomorrow I will be in Chattanooga. I love trains.