Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Shane
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Off I go to Wisconsin to help out in the protest!!!

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Shane wrote:

Good for you! Tar and feather Scott Walker for me. Oh, and boil him in oil for good measure!

Are those teenagers your grandchildren? Had no idea you were old enough for grandparenthood.
Shane
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Shane wrote:

Good for you! Tar and feather Scott Walker for me. Oh, and boil him in oil for good measure!

Are those teenagers your grandchildren? Had no idea you were old enough for grandparenthood.

Thanks Billy!! I will, I'll be the fat guy in the ski mask with the Tar Brush!!

If you go to my FB page they post there all the time...nice pictures of them too.
One of them is an honor student all the time, one raises hell now and then and the littlest is on her way to being an artist in collage!!

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shane wrote:

If you go to my FB page...

Realized I don't know your real-world name so I don't know where to go on FB.

What's your name?
marantzo
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Shane used to go shrimping off New Orleans in the NYTFF days? Forest Gump?
Shane
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Billy My name on Face Book is Shane Truax.
Gary off the coast of Savannah, thanks for remembering. And Forrest Gump was partially filmed there..I've sat on that bench. Before they took it away somewhere. It wasn't one of the regular ones.

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The number are starting to sound reasonable.
If our pretty standard issue Sun has a whole lineup of planets and assorted debris, it figures that most others would as well.
Quote:

Borucki and colleagues figured one of two stars has planets and one of 200 stars has planets in the habitable zone, announcing these ratios Saturday at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Washington.

Quote:
Scientists have estimated the first cosmic census of planets in our galaxy and the numbers are astronomical: at least 50 billion planets in the Milky Way.

At least 500 million of those planets are in the not-too-hot, not-too-cold zone where life could exist. The numbers were extrapolated from the early results of NASA's planet-hunting Kepler telescope.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_COSMIC_CENSUS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-02-19-17-23-37

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Shane wrote:

Found it and requested your virtual friendship. Think I found the pictures of you but not sure. You don't tag pictures so I don't absolutely know.
Shane
Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Shane wrote:

Found it and requested your virtual friendship. Think I found the pictures of you but not sure. You don't tag pictures so I don't absolutely know.

I'll check and tag things in the morning before I leave. I friended you when we got back from the movies but I'm tired.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
So far I haven't found any of the Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts on the internet, although ABC has apparently been showing "The Gruffalo" and "Night and Day" was the short before Toy Story 3. From the trailers, it looks like "Night and Day" is about the fourth best of the nominees.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some information suggests Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi had fled the country and was on his way to Venezuela.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Quote:
some information suggests Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi had fled the country and was on his way to Venezuela.

I heard a commentator talk about that this morning, but he said that Chavez was having big problems with the Venezuelans, their economy is the only one in South America that is going backward and in a terrible state so he didn't think Gaddafi would be welcome even though Chavez is a big supporter of Gaddafi. Typical of Chavez.
Earl
Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I was impressed by the two Lybian officers who refused to bomb their own people after having been ordered to get in jet fighters and do exactly that. So they got in the jet fighters and left the country, landed on the island of Malta and defected there.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12892 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Earl wrote:
I was impressed by the two Lybian officers who refused to bomb their own people after having been ordered to get in jet fighters and do exactly that. So they got in the jet fighters and left the country, landed on the island of Malta and defected there.

Real life imitates Avatar.

I used to tutor a student from Libya. I always wondered if I was being paid (indirectly) by the Libyan government. The student's name was Shrek although he wasn't green and came from a desert rather than a swamp.

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
Real life imitates Avatar.

I wonder how much the popular media influences political activity. Obviously Facebook and Twitter are being given lots of credit for the current upheavals, but TV and movies and even pop music tend to make heroes of the people who buck the system and protest injustice and fight for their rights. I remember reading that "All Quiet on the Western Front" was criticized for weakening the war effort--unfortunately, war looks much too exciting in the movies, generally.