Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I think those award shows always presume a little bit of roast to them anyway. It's usually a little bit gentler than explicit Nazi jokes, of course, but if you are a big star and going to one of those shows, you expect to get needled.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Personally, I found the show to be a bit of a car crash. I'm not sure what Ricky Gervais was trying to achieve. If it was an attempt to subvert the whole awards farago, he probably did a good job. Being a mean-spirited, misanthrope whose schtick is to may work for a comedian, but it might not be what Hollywood looks for in an awards show host.

That said, I found most of the shocked TV reviews - "OMG he was rude to Angelina Jolie" - to be a little precious. I would like to think that TV reviewers for nationally read newspapers would be able to grapple with the contradictions and issues exposed.

Last edited by jeremy on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Jeremy, as usual, says it best.

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:27 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
It is interesting that Ricky Gervais has all but overshadowed the Golden Globes themselves. We all know the Golden Globes are amongst the least valid of the seasons award, but have achieved an enviable profile by dint of their timing (the first major Oscar precursor) and their ability to attract A-list celebrities to their hitherto relaxed, hair-letting-down end of term party. Did Ricky deliberately set out to bring the temple tumbling dowm around his burning ears? He could hardly have done a better job without indulging in the ultimate wardrobe malfunction. He figuratively mooned at the Hollywood establishment and its smug fest.

Never has, "You'll never work in this town again." sounded so hollow. Insiders seem to think he has sunk his teeth into the hand that feeds him. But for insiders read insular. Jackass 3D was one of the year's most successful film. Reference and respect are in short supply and Hollywood royalty are not at the front of the queue. I find the review of the Golden Globes in the Washington Post to be illuminating; not for Lisa de Moraes piece, which mirrors that of almost every televison reviewer in its 'how dare he tone", but for the vituperative reaction to the article in the comments section. Rarely can I recollect such a disconnect between a writer and readership in a mere TV review.

Something is happening, and I wonder if Ricky Gervais is more in touch with the zeitgeist than the Hollywood establishment and its gallant, but risible defenders in the media.

PS. Am I the only one who thinks that The Washington Post is shit.. Tom Shales reviewing with wit, humor and a quick finger on the remote is possibly the most boring wrtier I've ever...zzzz.

jeremy
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
Enough about Ricky Gervais?

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Enough about Ricky Gervais?

Not so fast, me bucky. Thanks so much for the reference to the comments section of the Washington Post. I would recommend a close reading of it for Joe (aka Lisa de Moraes).
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:45 am Reply with quote
I am surprised by the amount of opprobrium heaped upon Gervais by the media reporters. What a bunch of suck-ups. Speaking of biting the hand that feeds you, these yahoos are licking the hands that supposedly feed them.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I am surprised by the amount of opprobrium heaped upon Gervais by the media reporters. What a bunch of suck-ups. Speaking of biting the hand that feeds you, these yahoos are licking the hands that supposedly feed them.

I agree. Even former rock critic David Hinckley of the New York Daily News--someone you might expect to be hip--savaged Gervais. Unbelievable.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 am Reply with quote
In related news, I remain convinced that the two Marks (Wahlberg and Ruffalo) are the two movie stars I'd most like to hang out with. Wahlberg's quiet acceptance of the praise from the cast of The Fighter and Ruffalo's advice to Academy voters ("Grow a pair and vote for more female directors") are in keeping with my gut feeling that both Marks are terrific people.
billyweeds
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 am Reply with quote
In similarly related news, Milla Jovovich is the star I'd least like to spend time with. Check out her stint with Kevin Bacon giving out the Steve Buscemi award. She appears to be auditioning for a comedy sketch about a stereotypical starlet. Hilarious and jaw-dropping and slightly nauseating all at the same time.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
The Globes have gotten more mileage out of this year's show than they've ever had. Even this morning, when I turned on the NY1 news to check the In the Papers segment (during which the anchor goes through all the NYC-area newspapers to point out particular stories of interest), Gervais' name came up along with a couple of his "insults" (which seemed pretty mild to me, to tell the truth). If anyone is angry about anything, it should be that the emcee stole the show from the winners.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Didn't see the Globs (no cable) (or interest). If clips are somewhere on the Net, I'll look to see what RG was up to -- sounds like a few of the splattered honorees bit back, so that might be fun to watch. No such thing as bad publicity, eh? Heard RG on NPR the day before and it didn't sound like he had any plans of tearing down the temple or anything.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Well, Billy and Marantz, I think the two of you are over-reacting in turn. My response is fairly simple. 1) I don't like insult jokes, so whether this was a good batch of them or not, I find this sour sort of humor is not my thing. 2) While there's nothing wrong with you (or people in the press, or the "average person") enjoying the jokes, I don't think it's necessary for anyone to enjoy jokes made at their own expense. There's a weird frat boy initiation quality to that concept which I don't go along with, and which I think is a fairly extreme version of being a "good sport."

No great outrage on my part, no great slap on the wrist to Gervais. Just very, very far from my idea of entertainment. And I'm not sure how reading an article will make me find jokes I didn't find funny in the first place funny the second time around. Humor doesn't really work that way.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
Concerning the Washington Post et al., a friend e-mailed me this just yesterday--

An easy guide to keeping political news in perspective .

1. The Wall Street Journal is read by the people who run the country.

2. The Washington Post is read by people who think they run the country.

3. The New York Times is read by people who think they should run the country, and who are very good at crossword puzzles.

4. USA Today is read by people who think they ought to run the country but don't really understand The New York Times. They do, however, like their statistics shown in pie charts.

5. The Los Angeles Times is read by people who wouldn't mind running the country, if they could find the time -- and if they didn't have to leave Southern California to do it.

6. The Boston Globe is read by people whose parents used to run the country and did a poor job of it, thank you very much.

7. The New York Daily News is read by people who aren't too sure who's running the country and don't really care as long as they can get a seat on the train.

8. The New York Post is read by people who don't care who is running the country as long as they do something really scandalous, preferably while intoxicated.

9. The Miami Herald is read by people who are running another country, but need the baseball scores.

10. The San Francisco Chronicle is read by people who aren't sure if there is a country or that anyone is running it; but if so, they oppose all that they stand for. There are occasional exceptions if the leaders are handicapped, minority, feminist, atheist dwarfs who also happen to be illegal aliens from any other country or galaxy, provided of course, that they are not Republicans.

11. The National Enquirer is read by people trapped in line at the grocery store.

12. The Seattle Times is read by people who have recently caught a fish and need something to wrap it in.
bartist
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
LMAO, esp. the National Enquirer joke.

Joe, regarding,

Quote:
No great outrage on my part, no great slap on the wrist to Gervais. Just very, very far from my idea of entertainment. And I'm not sure how reading an article will make me find jokes I didn't find funny in the first place funny the second time around. Humor doesn't really work that way.

Pretty much agree, esp. your take on how humor functions. I watched a few clips, after my previous post, and actually found it rather tame after all the fuss I'd heard. Johnny Depp looked amused when RG made The Tourist (the film that wasn't 3-D, ha ha) joke, and I can't seriously imagine Bruce Willis is coming unglued about the Ashton Kutcher's dad quip (this is a man who will wear raw hamburger on his head). Or the "Scientologist" joke -- a old one, written into the tinseltown gossip canon eons ago. And, yeah, I think the cast of SITC II know they're no spring chickens and can handle one airbrush joke. If they can't, that's pretty thin-skinned for show business, isn't it?

What a tempest in a teapot.