Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't like insult humor, and telling people who've been insulted that they need to get a sense of humor is pretty stupid (who actually enjoys being insulted? Even people who are tough skinned don't get any pleasure out of an insult, they just don't let it get to them). Not sure these jokes, if they were directed personally at the people saying "lighten up", would inspire the same response from them.

Which is not to say that I think Hollywood celebrities, simply because they're celebrities, need to be treated with dignity and respect. I just don't know why you'd spend an evening hosting a gig for people you don't think deserve either.

Maybe I'd like Gervais' jokes more if he turned down the offer to host and fashioned a stand-up routine about why. At least that would represent something like integrity.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Joe--Oh, puh-leeze. These celebs should get--if not a sense of humor--then a thicker skin. I am appalled at their level of self-seriousness. Gervais was hysterically funny.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Why should anyone enjoy being insulted? Do you enjoy being insulted? As I said, there's a difference between a tougher skin, whatever that means (and it probably means not showing that a comment actually gets to you, rather than it not getting you), and actually enjoying getting insulted.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, getting insulted is not fun. But what exactly are the "insults" that were lobbed at the celebs?

Bruce Willis was told he was "Ashton Kutcher's son." Big whoop. They were both married to Demi Moore and Willis is older. Seems a pretty mild "insult."

"Some scientologists" were sorta kinda outed. Whoa!

It was implied that the 84-year-old Hefner is a wee bit too old for his 24-year-old bride.

Tim Allen was reminded he hasn't won as many awards as Tom Hanks. Cry all the way to the bank, Tim.

Charlie Sheen was revealed to be a huge party animal. Now that's going too far.

Etc.

Any response, Joe?

Last edited by billyweeds on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I second Billy's, Oh, puh-leeze.

Even a touchy character like Sinatra ate up all the insulting jibes that Rickles would heap upon him.

Ah, the poor humourless prigs that had their feelings hurt. As a Canadian I can tell to you that we have no problem being made fun of as long as it's funny, because we take being recognized, faults and all, more satisfying than being pandered to.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
That's why Steven Fry makes such a good awards show host. He is every bit as incisive as Ricky Gervais, but he fillets his victims in such a charming way that they don't seem to notice or mind.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about Downey's somewhat graceless reaction to being reminded of his stays in rehabs. Grow up, Robert.

Downey is a wonderful actor but not one I have any interest in meeting ever since his stint as SNL's guest host, where he dissed the idea of rehab and played his "celebrity druggie" persona to the hilt and without much humor.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
daffy wrote:
Loved Ricky, though I thought the God/atheist bit should have come earlier. (Truth be told, it's a line that should have been used at the Oscars or the Tonys, when every second winner thanks the almighty. I've quoted Durang on this before: "God is silent on the Holocaust, but he involves himself in The Tony Awards?!?! It doesn't seem very likely!!")

The Hefner line was an all-timer.

Jeremy: I thought Downey was just playing along with his talk of mean-spiritedness and that's why he felt he could go on to the later bit.

Whatever they say outwardly, I'm sure the GG people are loving the whole thing. People are still talking about the show, and probably will be for a few more days.

Gervais was hysterical on The Daily Show a few weeks back, talking about Stephen Hawking's voice-box. Talk about nothing being sacred.
I am oft reminded of some comedian, who being lost in the dim recess of my brain, who once parodied a losing athlete's speech at the end of a big game: "We were doing great and would have won, but God FUCKED US! Bastard!"

Which a;ways segues to my favorite moment in Naked, when Johnny is thumbing a Bible stops, and says, "Yeah! Why hast thou forsaken me? Bastard!"

Anyway, I've only seen clips of Gervais, and I see nothing that great or that over the line for him.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
billyweeds wrote:
I forgot about Downey's somewhat graceless reaction to being reminded of his stays in rehabs. Grow up, Robert.

Downey is a wonderful actor but not one I have any interest in meeting ever since his stint as SNL's guest host, where he dissed the idea of rehab and played his "celebrity druggie" persona to the hilt and without much humor.
I thought that Downey's quip was funny. And surely it is the pathetic group of writers who have been toiling for SNL decades after its sell by date that are to blame for Downey's work on the show.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

Again, I just think the "grow up" statement is really dumb. It's one thing to say you enjoyed the jokes. Of course you did, they weren't at your expense. But why should they?

Gervais wanted to come out in a Nazi suit, shouting "Heil Hitler!" and then saying "Sorry, wrong crowd. That's what happens when you borrow clothes from Mel Gibson." The Golden Globes people prevented him from doing it (which is why he didn't show them the rest of his material). Now, I might laugh at that joke, but I sure wouldn't expect Mel Gibson to think it was hilarious. And I don't get why the celebs should think the potshots he aimed at them were funny, either.

-Topher
daffy
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about the other networks, but Ricky and the Golden Globes just got a spot on NBC News. How much would that kind of publicity cost? A bazillion? They love it.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Celebrities aren't in the same social world we are in. Usually they are awe-inspiring, cheered, photographed, paid alot of attention. In other words, they are put on pedestals. What is wrong with bringing them down to size? And isn't negative attention sometimes craved as much as positive attention?

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, Betsy.

"And isn't negative attention sometimes craved as much as positive attention?" Now your talking Canadian. Very Happy
Befade
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My bronchial pneumonia seems to have been conquered but the blockage in my ear persists regardless of my efforts to flush it out. I am going to a doctor this afternoon to have it taken care of.

Gary.......this reminds me of a time I went to New Orleans. flew home with a cold and when my ear didn't clear up.......I read my medical book about how lancing the eardrum would fix it. Scared me. When I went to the doctor he said stop reading that medical book. Your ear will be fine in a week. And the next time you fly with a cold use a nasal spray.

Hope you didn't get lanced.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Quote:
My bronchial pneumonia seems to have been conquered but the blockage in my ear persists regardless of my efforts to flush it out. I am going to a doctor this afternoon to have it taken care of.

Gary.......this reminds me of a time I went to New Orleans. flew home with a cold and when my ear didn't clear up.......I read my medical book about how lancing the eardrum would fix it. Scared me. When I went to the doctor he said stop reading that medical book. Your ear will be fine in a week. And the next time you fly with a cold use a nasal spray.

Hope you didn't get lanced.

I am going tomorrow morning and they don't lance it (I think that deafens you), they flush it out. I had it done many years ago when I had a big wax buildup. A simple and fast procedure.