Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

jeremy
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I was surprised when reading the obituaries of Pete Postlethwaite how I had confused the chronology of his filomography. I was convinced that when I saw him in Romeo + Juliet and The Usual Suspects , I remembered him as the actor from Brassed Off, but it transpires that both the former films were made before Brassed Off. It is possible that I saw these films in a different order to that in which they were made, but it is just as likely that it wasn't until I saw Brassed Off that I could put a name to the face and then subsequently mentally labelled him as the Brassed Off guy. Strange things memories.

For your information, thwaite is an Old Norse word (thveit) meaning cleared land. Their are lots of place names, such as Seathwaite, in the north and eastern sides of England, roughly corresponding to the old Danelaw, that have this suffix. I did a quick search, and the only definition of 'postle' I can find is a short form for apostle. Therefore, I'd speculate that Postlethwaite means something like 'preachers' field'.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Yeah, I forgot about Landesburg's passing.

He sat next to Shirley Anne (my late wife) when her friend, who worked on The Wonder Years, took her to Fred Savage's Bar Mitzvah. Shirley Anne said that he was very nice.

Steve was one of the nicest stand-up comics I ever met. Granted, that's not saying one whole hell of a lot, but he was a genuinely good person. Never got to know him as well as I would have liked to, but what I did get to know I liked a lot.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard and read, stand-up comics are a difficult breed. I always got along with Steinberg, though we weren't close friends, but there was friction between some others him as time passed.

A funny anecdote: When I saw my friend Neil some years ago and mentioned that I met Steinberg in Las Vegas he told me that he had leant David his golf shoes (this would have been back in 1957 or so) and he never got them back. He said, "The next time you see him, tell him Neil wants his golf shoes back!"

I haven't seen him since then.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
RIP Anne Francis and Jill Haworth.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Anne Francis was wonderful. She morphed pretty quickly from cheesecake dish to goodtime broad, but she was great in both kinds of roles. A terrific legacy for someone who was never really a star.

-Topher
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Joe Vitus wrote:
Anne Francis was wonderful. She morphed pretty quickly from cheesecake dish to goodtime broad, but she was great in both kinds of roles. A terrific legacy for someone who was never really a star.

And someone who Streisand reportedly treated miserably on Funny Girl.
jeremy
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
I never had any opinion of Jill Haworth one way or the other, but Anne Francis was always enjoyable to watch. She was one of my older brother's turn ons. He thought she had a very sexy sort of slutty look. I'll have to do some research on her because I always thought she was a very nice person. I'd hate to find out otherwise.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Anne Francis was hot, never more so than in Bad Day at Black Rock. She was uncharacteristically colorless in Forbidden Planet, however.

I saw Jill Haworth in the original cast of Cabaret and wondered who she was sleeping with to get the role. Liza did it better, to put it mildly.

Last edited by billyweeds on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:43 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:

Who is this? Looks sorta like Maureen O'Hara, but my gut says no. So who?
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Also liked Francis as the mannequin who comes to life in the famous TZ episode. The mole was sexy, too.

If Landesberg was the guy who was in love with Raquel Welch's daughter in "Cocoon" and said "Whoa, I'm a dead man!" after she zapped him with alien love energy, then I am sorry to see him go.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
bartist wrote:
Also liked Francis as the mannequin who comes to life in the famous TZ episode. The mole was sexy, too.

If Landesberg was the guy who was in love with Raquel Welch's daughter in "Cocoon" and said "Whoa, I'm a dead man!" after she zapped him with alien love energy, then I am sorry to see him go.
Landesbers was Dietrich on Barney Miller. You may be thinking of Steve Guttenberg.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
bartist wrote:

Francis was great in that TN episode. Had forgotten about it. Can't answer your question about Cocoon. Didn't even realize he was in it--or had forgotten.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
You may be thinking of Steve Guttenberg.

Bingo.
bartist
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Thanks WP/BW. (avatar with tail entre jambes, slinking off...)