Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
gromit wrote:
I guess we know who watches Breakfast at Tiffany's during the holidays.

You might want to cut back on whatever it is going on over there.
A Christmas Story, I suspect.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
bartist wrote:

Watched TGWPWF, the 2nd in the Millenium trilogy, which seemed a lesser work than the first one, but watchable in a channel-surfing-in-Stockholm sort of way.

Agreed, although the ending was consistent with the book, and faithfully replicated in the film. Ouch!

We haven't seen the third one yet. It played down in N.O., but only at one theatre, http://www.theprytania.com/ Which is really a cool place, but a bit of a long drive for us. So I've got it on order at Amazon when it comes out in a month or so.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
mitty wrote:
bartist wrote:

Watched TGWPWF, the 2nd in the Millenium trilogy, which seemed a lesser work than the first one, but watchable in a channel-surfing-in-Stockholm sort of way.

Agreed, although the ending was consistent with the book, and faithfully replicated in the film. Ouch!

We haven't seen the third one yet. It played down in N.O., but only at one theatre, http://www.theprytania.com/ Which is really a cool place, but a bit of a long drive for us. So I've got it on order at Amazon when it comes out in a month or so.
Ignatius Reilly's favorite movie theater, if I recall correctly.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
whiskeypriest wrote:
mitty wrote:
bartist wrote:

Ignatius Reilly's favorite movie theater, if I recall correctly.

Cool Laughing Yup, I believe so. Haven't read it yet, finally broke down and bought a second hand copy that is languishing 'on the shelf.

Someday.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
My favorite Christmas movie is The Apartment. Because nothing says "Merry Christmas" like an attempted suicide by Seconal overdose on Christmas Eve.

One of my favorite movies of all time. And you reminded me that it is considered a Christmas movie.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Wouldn't it be ironic if our secular version of Christmas got it right? Maybe Jesus would've approved of the lights, the music, a jolly fat guy who gives presents and some warm & fuzzy movies, because they all celebrate goodwill towards Man. Maybe that's the real message.

Wonderful insight, Lorne. And it's one that I would like to think is mostly correct. The religious side of Christmas seems a overly exclusionary. Jesus would not recognize such an elitest opinion and belief, or so I think. Bible stories about Jesus seem to be more about loving and being kind to all, not just who may be a good convert.

Hope your holidays are bright.

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a dark side here, but one of my recent movie favorites is Bad Santa. Yes, it's very dark, but there's something about the humor, the mall manager (played by the late John Ritter), the mall security (played by the late Bernie Mac) and the antics of a drunken mall Santa who at least tries to bring some happiness to not only himself, but a semi-orphaned boy.

Brings new meaning to the lyric/phrase "Great tidings of comfort and joy"

chillywilly
Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
So far, I've received payments from:

- Lorne
- Syd
- Carrobin
- bartist
- yambu
- billyweeds

Thanks and very much appreciated.

I'll post when we have met this year's dues. We are within $30.

marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:16 am Reply with quote
My contribution is in the mail. No, really it's in the mail! Honest! Very Happy

I found Bad Santa rather ugly. I'm such a sensitive guy. Marc liked it a lot.

Am I the only one on our forum who wasn't all that thrilled with The Apartment?

Let's see, Christmas movies. When I was a kid my friends and I would go to the movies all the time during Christmas holidays. One of my favourite outings was when we saw March of the Wooden Soldiers (Babes In Toyland). Delightful.
gromit
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
The Apartment makes me cringe.
That awful 50's pseudo-hipness.
Blech.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
whiskeypriest wrote:
Uh... Florida is in the Northern Hemisphere. you know.

Average high temp here last week, about 74.

You're right. Of course, it does seem weirdly counter-intuitive to think of Montreal and West Palm Beach as being within the same hemisphere.

The other weird thing is that New York has more snow than we do!

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
The Apartment makes me cringe.
That awful 50's pseudo-hipness.
Blech.

Gromit--We usually sort of agree at least. Here's where we reach a major parting of the ways. The Apartment is one of my all-time top ten. It is not pseudo-hip in the slightest, and I don't know where you get that from. If it can be criticized for anything at all--and not by me, I hasten to add--it's that it's slightly sentimental, the opposite of "hip." You're thinking of any number of other movies of the period, some of them starring Jack Lemmon or Shirley MacLaine--What a Way to Go!, There's a Girl in My Soup, Good Neighbor Sam, etc. But not The Apartment. Never The Apartment. It's a working definition of "great movie."

I would love to have an answer to "what's pseudo-hip about it?"

Btw, forget my question about Lexulous. I figured it out and have begun playing, with much concomitant stress.
bartist
Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Just an addendum to my comment about TGWPWF -- not only is it a lesser movie, but I find it annoying when someone makes a two hour feature that can't stand on its own two legs. As I watched, it struck me that I would be utterly confused by the film had I not seen "Dragon Tattoo" beforehand.

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
I thought "The Girl Who Played with Fire" had an awful lot of Oh, come ON plot twists. Shouldn't this be in "Couch with a View?"

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure -- Lobby seems to be a place to meander, and various films were being chatted about here, including the Millenium ones. Count me also as a fan of Bad Santa.

And yes, much "oh come ON" in TGWPWF -- not least,

her being shot several times and then buried in cold Swedish ground, yet able to perk up and dig her way out with a cellphone as a spade.

But maybe those Swedish bisexual hacker babes are tougher than they look.