Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
Just recklessly displaying 100's of thousands of secrets (?), government or otherwise, is not classy or necessarily virtuous, it crass and crude behaviour.

"...Obama is back, btw. Big time."

He's definitely turn his descent around but I would say "big time" yet. He's got a lot still to go.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Just recklessly displaying 100's of thousands of secrets (?), government or otherwise, is not classy or necessarily virtuous, it crass and crude behaviour.

He's definitely turn his descent around but I would say "big time" yet. He's got a lot still to go.

He still has a long way to go, but he's effectively paved the way, and there is definitely a dazzling light at the end of the tunnel. I repeat: he's back big time. The Republicans are already throwing tantrums, and it's thrilling to see. May they all get spankings next year.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Although I like bart's analytic approach, I think most Americans simply don't care about the lives of brown people in some far-off land with whatever bizarre customs.

Failure to register empathy or concern for others outside your group, however defined, is a fairly universal/standard human deficiency.

There's a limit to how much concern a person can handle. Most of us are concerned first with our own situation, then with the situations of our relatives and friends. Even though we might be concerned about floods in Pakistan and abuses in Africa and other global problems, there's not much one can do about them--and unless we have relatives or friends in the area (which of course many Americans would), they aren't situations we're going to worry about. I'd really like it if Americans were a bit more concerned with what's going on in this country, to tell the truth.
gromit
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Good to know.
I thought we were getting Bush and Clinton re-runs.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Quote:

Good to know.
I thought we were getting Bush and Clinton re-runs.

Very funny. Really. But you know what I mean, I think, and I'm right, I know. Obama is definitely not a one-term president.
bartist
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
I think Charles Krauthammer had a column to that effect, that Obama did a good job of bouncing back after the "shellacking" and subsequent fleeing to Asia.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
When Charles Krauthammer starts praising Obama, that just about says it all.
Right, bart?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
When Krauthammer praises someone, I somehow always think of Ernst Blofeld stroking his cat. Evil, plotting, smiling....
bartist
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
When Charles Krauthammer starts praising Obama, that just about says it all.
Right, bart?

Honestly, I wouldn't know, because Krauthammer runs in the Omaha World-Herald and I rarely read him, so I don't quite have him pegged. I didn't get any strangelovian vibe from this particular column. Wink

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, surfing around....CK looks like a neo-Con on some areas, but is opposed to the DP, favors abortion rights, advocates higher energy taxes to induce conservation, is a critic of intelligent design, favors embryonic stem cell research, etc. So I'm not seeing him as terribly right-wing or predictable on partisan matters. Pres. Clinton is quoted in a 2010 press conference as calling him a brilliant man.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
[......Obama is definitely not a one-term president.
You're the only one I know who's so definite. Will unemployment definitely fall appreciably? If not, then he's gone. Suppose we wait and see.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Blofeld was brilliant too. I've read Krauthammer in the NY Post, and while he occasionally said something I agreed with, he was usually at the far end of the Right Wing.
gromit
Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
bartist wrote:
Well, surfing around....CK looks like a ...
So I'm not seeing him as terribly right-wing or predictable on partisan matters.

Try surfing on this planet.

The Kraut puts a hard-core partisan spin on everything. He was praising Obama for enacting the number one rightist policy, which will soon enough force their enactment of the number two priority.

I also think his praise was twofold, to rub Dems nose in what went down, and warn Repubs not to get complacent like they did with Clinton.

PS Does paper news still exist?

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Orwell, in his essay on Marrakesh:

When you walk through a town like this — two hundred thousand inhabitants, of whom at least twenty thousand own literally nothing except the rags they stand up in — when you see how the people live, and still more how easily they die, it is always difficult to believe that you are walking among human beings. All colonial empires are in reality founded upon that fact. The people have brown faces — besides, there are so many of them! Are they really the same flesh as yourself? Do they even have names? Or are they merely a kind of undifferentiated brown stuff, about as individual as bees or coral insects? They rise out of the earth, they sweat and starve for a few years, and then they sink back into the nameless mounds of the graveyard and nobody notices that they are gone.

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
More good news from Washington--the healthcare bill for 9/11 responders has passed the Senate! Looks like some of the Republicans were finally ashamed to keep holding it up. (Jon Stewart's "Daily Show" mocking probably helped push it over the top.)