Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Syd
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Roger Ebert has a new jaw prosthesis. Looks really good, too, although the color's not absolutely perfect. Makeup and lighting should take care of that. He and Chaz are also developing a new movie review show. Apparently Ebert won't be able to speak but is using a computer generated voice from his old shows, so he would appear as cyber-Ebert.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Joe, youtube doesn't go out looking for videos that aren't in keeping with their terms of service. With millions of videos flowing into youtube, they simply don't have the time to police their own site. So, they depend on people flagging videos that break the rules. Youtube frowns upon nudity, but there is plenty of it on youtube. But, if someone flags a video it sends a message immediately to youtube and they investigate it. Someone flagged my video shortly after I linked it to Third Eye. This is a video that I wasn't aggressively promoting because the song is probably not going to be on my album and I didn't want to risk having it deleted. There's a brief glimpse of a woman's nipples (you can watch it on the above Vimeo link). Earlier today, before it was deleted, it had only 52 views in the several months that it was on youtube. You got to admit, it's quite a coincidence that it was flagged within a couple of hours of me posting a link here.

I'll be honest with you, my feeling is that someone who is not actively posting on Third Eye, but lurks, flagged my video. I have no proof that it's anyone associated with Third Eye, but the timing suggests that it could very well be.

The only reason that this is a big deal for me is that I had my other youtube account completely deleted because "88 Lines" got flagged...again for a nipple. One day my account was there, with 1000s of views and a bunch of subscribers, and then it was gone. All that work for nothing. And trust me, maintaining a vibrant youtube site takes work and promotion. I don't want to lose the new account because of some treacherous asshole.
You might suggest that I cut out the "offending' parts of the video. I can't do that. If you haven't seen the Vimeo link I posted above, look at it and tell me if there is anything offensive about it. I'm not going to let youtube define what is acceptable. I am a moral person making art that I feel is inherently spiritual. I would rather lose my youtube account than compromise my work.
Marc
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Roger Ebert has a new jaw prosthesis. Looks really good, too, although the color's not absolutely perfect. Makeup and lighting should take care of that. He and Chaz are also developing a new movie review show. Apparently Ebert won't be able to speak but is using a computer generated voice from his old shows, so he would appear as cyber-Ebert.

I bet it'll be a hit. I can't wait.
Marc
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
the teabaggers go after Roger Ebert. Disgusting.

http://gawker.com/5534596/tea-party-turns-on-roger-ebert-mocks-his-cancer-updated
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

I'll be honest with you, my feeling is that someone who is not actively posting on Third Eye, but lurks, flagged my video. I have no proof that it's anyone associated with Third Eye, but the timing suggests that it could very well be.

I was thinking among similar lines, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone with that kind of venom.

Marc wrote:
You might suggest that I cut out the "offending' parts of the video. I can't do that. If you haven't seen the Vimeo link I posted above, look at it and tell me if there is anything offensive about it. I'm not going to let youtube define what is acceptable. I am a moral person making art that I feel is inherently spiritual. I would rather lose my youtube account than compromise my work.

I know you're speaking hypothetically, but I for one would never suggest you alter your work. I don't support censorship, and the human body isn't dirty. Ridiculous that you could post any classical sculpture and no problem, but a 20th century tit gets you banned.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was thinking among similar lines, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone with that kind of venom.

Joe, they might not have known the repercussions of flagging a video - a little "fuck you" that turned into a big "fuck you".
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
If it were some lurker on 3rd Eye, it might be time to reinstate Behind the Curtain. Though that wouldn't block members who no longer post but visit. I'm going to click on the new link later. Thanks, Marc.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:56 am Reply with quote
Just checked in and was dismayed to hear about your video getting deleted, Marc. There is stuff on Youtube that is pretty revolting -- yours was not one of them. From what I've seen since coming back, there isn't anyone here, new or old, who would have any problem with your video. But I can see how the timing would trigger some paranoia, of the non-pathological variety, given that the offended party didn't have the decency to contact you directly. That backstabbing aspect is what would really piss me off. Makes me think of the Oscar Wilde quip about enemies stab you in the back, friends stab you in the front.
bartist
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
Afterthought:

some of us do access the Net from work computers and/or campus PC labs, some of which might have filtering software or whatever (I'm not really up on this stuff) -- could this have somehow triggered a flagging? I'm a little paranoid myself when using networks, some of whom have rather zealous administrators. I hope this isn't the case, OTOH, it would mean that no one has it in for you and you've just fallen prey to the kneejerk of a stranger.
Marj
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gary,

I forgot last night to thank you for your explanation too. So, thanks! And about what you said about it possibly being a lurker on 3rd Eye, I think Marc is thinking more a long the lines of it being someone who used to post here. And if it is, then they'd be able to read behind the curtain since rarely is an ex poster's membership revoked.

That said, I am one of the few that misses BTC. It's not because I miss fighting but I always felt that BTC offered a certain degree of privacy. I'm not sure why, but it did that for me.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
[quote="marantzo"]
whiskeypriest wrote:
I thought you were kidding when you put Winnipeg in British Columbia and you weren't....
You sure about that? I've always known Winnipeg was in Saskatchewan.

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gary,

I forgot last night to thank you for your explanation too.

Marj, don't tell me that you found it. It was a long time ago. There were a number of posters who said that they couldn't understand why that scene was in the movie. They thought it just didn't fit. I told them why I liked it and what I thought its addition to the movie was. I think I only wrote about Marge and not about Yanagita.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Actually, whiskey, Winnipeg isn't anywhere. It's like Xanadu, an imaginary place where everyone would like to be.
knox
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Actually, whiskey, Winnipeg isn't anywhere. It's like Xanadu, an imaginary place where everyone would like to be.

A minor typo -- you left the word "dead" off the end of your sentence.

--Man with thin southern blood who finds St. Louis winters daunting at times

PS -- I strongly suspect that someone, as (Bart?) mentioned, tripped a filter on a computer lab PC. Sometimes material will load on the PC, but get kicked into a cache that the sysop looks over later. Some of those guys are fascists.
marantzo
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Lorne must be having an orgasm, Les Canadiens are beating Pittsburgh 4-0 late in the 2nd period. Unbelievable. Please don't blow it.