Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
He writes those things with at least half a tongue in his cheek.

I don't think so.

Nor do I. Though it could be, as per yam, half in the bag.
grace
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Grace,

I went into great detail months ago, when this tired subject initially heated up the forums, as to why I both hate and love the word "cunt". I'm not going to repeat myself. As to my being "glib", that's your take. I was just trying to be succinct.

Required reading: Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Ingrid Muscio.

And when I suggested you ask my old lady, I meant it. She's a member of the forum and is fearless when it comes to discussing issues regarding sex, feminism, sexism, misogyny and virtually anything.

Quote:
Recognize the difference between someone who's pushing your buttons and someone who accidentally stumbles over them. I didn't see any intentional pushing of anything or anyone.

Anyone offended by a word should not expect their feelings questioned. Likewise, anyone who offends innocently should not expect their intent questioned. I can't understand how there could be bad karma lingering over this...

Quote:
Ask me why I spend my leisure time on Facebook and not here and I'll answer that I enjoy the company of adults with fewer hangups.

Marc, lorne, et al - I know this topic has been explored, possibly ad nauseam; but I guess it comes down to having the consideration to realize (and care) how a word affects others regardless of how it affects you.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
grace wrote:

Marc, lorne, et al - I know this topic has been explored, possibly ad nauseam; but I guess it comes down to having the consideration to realize (and care) how a word affects others regardless of how it affects you.

"Anyone offended by a word should not expect their feelings questioned. Likewise, anyone who offends innocently should not expect their intent questioned."

The part in red speaks in favor of grace. The part in green speaks for Marc. The quote is from Lorne, the great mediator.
mirgun
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
Quote:
I cannot imagine the c-word being heard in a benign, lighthearted way.

I can and I have used it in just such a way. Ask my old lady.

Marc wrote:
Quote:

We're still discussing the "c" word?? and it's boring..I feel like i have to say again, that Marc has a couple of
words that he will not use in a derogatory manner, and the "c" word being number one. We've had a long
discussion about the usage of language and he's very careful in what he says and writes. He's opinionated
and strong in his convictions and passionate, as we all know, but at the same time he does admit when he's wrong,
because he's honest and truthful. I wish I knew more people with Marc's qualities, this world would be a much better place.
When I read Ehle's attack on him (Blech!!?)I couldn't believe it and why, where it came from,out of the blue.
Marc wasn’t even adressing him in the discussions and Ehle came in and attacked him.
What a childish display of emotions!

Last edited by mirgun on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Marc wrote:
Quote:

marc, if you understood the difference between what grace said and what you responded, you might see the point. Some words have cultural baggage in addition to their dictionary definitions and when you use them, you invoke that baggage whether you intend to or not. The "n word" being a fine example. You might intend to use it in a light-hearted, benign way, but it will always - always - get taken otherwise by a lot of people.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
Can we go back to watching movies now.
yambu
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
yambu -- HOW f'n rude -- & for now and always? PISS OFF.
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. But I spoke with you by phone when you were really down. You were (still are?) unemployed, you suffer from chronic depression, and you were having trouble getting treated. If you are drinking, then stop.

We are all your friends here. Start with a general apology to the gang, and we will try to understand you better.

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ehle, I know it been rough for you quite a while now, but you've always tended to interpret some things that were said etc. in a negative way when they weren't. Sometimes of course they were. When you say your leaving and are gone for a while and then come back I am always very glad that you do and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Unlike most on here, I find your outbursts (maybe an exaggeration?) strangely entertaining. Not meaning to say that my reaction is the right one, but that's the reaction I get and as a result I'm far from bothered by it.

Grace, I don't ever remember you saying that you were going to leave. I'm always happy to see you post.

Marc's use of the word was obviously written in jest. And it was funny. I couldn't imagine someone thinking he was serious. But I was wrong.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine's wife, who is a guidance counselor at a high school, called the home of one of the African-American students one day to talk with the parents. She got an answering machine with the following message:

"Leave a message, nigger."

That was it.

It was hilarious to me, and to her husband, and to her. But I can see some people being outraged by it, even though it was in the mouth of a black man.
mirgun
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
oops! it was a dbl post

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
In fairness, Marc is new around here. Once the guy has a few more posts I'm sure we'll learn to recognize the meaning behind his words and not be so jumpy.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
For those interested, The Room is playing on Cartoon Network right now. Just started.

This is a funny idea. 'Course, since I own The Room, there was no need for me to watch.

I couldn't get into it. I was packing while it was on, so maybe I didn't give it enough attention, but it seemed pretty much like tons of bad movies I used to see on Cinemax (I remember one with Sharon Stone, where she ends up insane and I think locked up in an apartment). I don't get the appeal. I ended up switching channels.

-Topher
Marc
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I am a writer, have been since I was a kid. I honor and appreciate the power of words. I try to choose mine carefully. I often choose to say things because I am fully aware of the "shock value" inherent in some words or phrases. This is not some weird personal aberration. Many of the writers I admire have used words to upset the status quo or to create a sense of outrage where nothing else will do. I am thinking of The Fugs song "Kill For Peace", William Burroughs' "Naked Lunch", the Gonzo writings of Hunter Thompson, Artaud's Theater of Cruelty, Ginsberg's "Howl", Patti Smith's "Rock and Roll Nigger", the films of John Waters and Gaspar Noe, the master Rimbaud. I am not putting myself in the same class as some of these artists, but I do consider myself their student and part of a lineage.

This is a forum devoted to the arts; film, theater, literature and music. It is expected, at least for me, that such a forum would have a very broad parameter for poetic license, literary mayhem and humor. This is not a knitting circle. Many of the members of this forum are actors, writers, teachers and intellectuals - a collection of smart folks who have lived life to a full degree. We've been drunks, lovers, rebels, seekers, fools. We have enjoyed life and we have suffered. We're not a bunch of sheltered dilettantes who wave away the slightest gust of reality when it kicks up in our faces. We gather here to discuss the fruits of the creative process. Art is unruly and does not play by rules. When it does, it becomes as lifeless as the $29 "hungry artist" painting hanging in a dentist's waiting room.

To nitpick over over what is right or wrong is not the function of art. Art reveals, it doesn't judge. It is moral, but it is not righteous.

Timothy Leary once said regarding LSD "if you don't experience a death trip on acid, you haven't taken enough". In other words, the function of psychedelics (or any religious experience) is to absorb the individual into a greater whole. We do this by smashing the ego, deranging the senses, astonishing ourselves out of ourselves. Sometimes a good kick in the psychic teeth is what is needed. Like the Zen monk who broke his student's finger in order to bring him into the moment, art is the tough lover who kicks us out of the bed of complacency and spiritual deadness.

Language has become cheap. We are all writers now. The internet sends our words into the ethers with the regularity of cows passing methane. In the white noise of the digital age, words are atomized into vapor before they can even register on the collective consciousness of our rapid fire reality. So, god bless "cunt" for stopping us in our tracks and compelling us to ponder THE WORD.

Last edited by Marc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Marc. Brilliantly said.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Marc, Kill For Peace is a terrific Fugs song. Did they also have a song Fuck For Peace or was that a slip? Or maybe that was their live performance version of the song.